It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

La Pachamama: Bolivia enshrines natural world's rights with equal status for Mother Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Brilliant Video on site as well

Law of Mother Earth expected to prompt radical new conservation and social measures in South American nation

Bolivia is set to pass the world's first laws granting all nature equal rights to humans. The Law of Mother Earth, now agreed by politicians and grassroots social groups, redefines the country's rich mineral deposits as "blessings" and is expected to lead to radical new conservation and social measures to reduce pollution and control industry.

The country, which has been pilloried by the US and Britain in the UN climate talks for demanding steep carbon emission cuts, will establish 11 new rights for nature. They include: the right to life and to exist; the right to continue vital cycles and processes free from human alteration; the right to pure water and clean air; the right to balance; the right not to be polluted; and the right to not have cellular structure modified or genetically altered.

Controversially, it will also enshrine the right of nature "to not be affected by mega-infrastructure and development projects that affect the balance of ecosystems and the local inhabitant communities".

"It makes world history. Earth is the mother of all", said Vice-President Alvaro García Linera. "It establishes a new relationship between man and nature, the harmony of which must be preserved as a guarantee of its regeneration."

What a brilliant idea, and good on these people.

Why is it so hard for countries to admit that other countries could have developed a better system and for them to adopt the superior product? Better systems are integral to smoother and quicker advancement, IMO.

Well, I hope you enjoy this article and video on the source site, I quite enjoyed them.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

"It makes world history. Earth is the mother of all", said Vice-President Alvaro García Linera. "It establishes a new relationship between man and nature, the harmony of which must be preserved as a guarantee of its regeneration."

This is so brilliant and gives me so much hope for the future and humanity, these people are indeed listing to a higher calling and they are to be commended. I'm sure some here will disagree..that we should heed the call "drill baby drill" and similar calls to disrespect and destroy the Earth we live on. It's not looking good people...we must change and try things a new way..SnF coco

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

This is absolutely fantastic news, S&F for you, and 10 bil. S&F's for them.

They took the lead, the first step, now I hope the rest of the world will run with it.

Thanks for sharing this Pred.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Fenix777

No problem.

It's not very often you hear good news like this. This is exceptional and hopefully becomes a news story for everyone to hear.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Here is a PDF version of the law. It is translated.

f.cl.ly...

Interesting...

Pred...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
You guys should really come to Bolivia someday. If you are interested in this kind stuff, you should come around the Carnival.

Maybe I could give you a small tour. My country is culturally huge. I'm glad these kind of things actually are shown to the world.

EDIT: Don't take García Linera's words for granted BTW.

PS: Did you know zebras control my city's traffic?
edit on 4 28 1111 by Cricious because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join