It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

other then that, if it where up too me, than I wood knot mined weather it happened or knot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

What has happened to 'then' and 'than'?

Were they switched? This has become a major pet peeve of mine within the last month. The frequency of these 2 words being used incorrectly, has been growing exponentially. I have no idea why. It has gotten to the point that I am starting to think I have been wrong since the 3rd grade and nobody bothered to tell me.

Proper usage=
I was not finding any Morels, then I got to the Sycamores near the river bottoms, and they were everywhere. Other than that one area, I didn't find any,

Am I wrong here?^^^? Have I been wrong since elementary school and nobody told me?
Was there a recent flip-flop of the words that everyone else was notified of?

Surely, I am not the only one to have noticed this. It is everywhere. I see it all the time on ATS, but it is not confined to ATS. I have noticed this in news articles. Maybe I am going blind. Maybe it is a flashback from something i never did. Maybe I have finally just lost it. Who knows. It has just been annoying me lately, and I felt like ranting about it.

Disclaimer #1: 3rd grade = wild guess used for example
Disclaimer #2: I am sure I make many errors myself. As a forewarning, I do not care. This is not a slight error here and there. I first noticed this weeks ago, and it has not gone away lol.
Disclaimer #3: If someone has a problem with the fact that this meaningless little thing bothers me a bit, I do not care about that either. Start your own rant about me being your pet peeve. Thank You!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I've noticed it. It annoys me to no end. Most people have no clue how to properly form a sentence, much less relay a coherent thought. Then/than...want/won't...the list goes on.

LOL I feel your pain.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Im thinking that you mispelled the whole title on purpose to prove a point or something? Pretty clever title...
edit on 24-4-2011 by gdaub23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
i thought i was the only one!

this annoys the #$@% out of me .

when ever i see this i feel like grabbing the offender by the neck an stuffing a dictionary down his throat.

RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BioStatistic

Thank you for the clarification.
I was seriously starting to have my doubts.
I felt I had hit rock bottom, when I went to Merriam-Webster.com to search the definition of "than."

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gdaub23
Im thinking that you mispelled the whole title on purpose to prove a point or something? Pretty clever title...

What are you talking about??
I didn't miSSpell anything in the title.
The only thing wrong in the title is the reversal of then and than.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by riktus

Wow...people get this angry when someone says then instead of than? a little pety if you ask me...if you know what theyre trying to say "than"
whats the big deal...why make a bigger deal out of this "then"
it should be? theyre just words...I understand the OP seeming confused on the matter but why all the rage

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Haha, I saw the title of your thread and clicked on it thinking, "Please tell me this person isn't a native English speaker." You got me.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

because it's lazy and ignorant.

it's the bastardization of the english language.

that's why.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Personally, I am not raging mad about it, but just a bit annoyed due to the fact that the occurrence seems to have been increasing lately.

Maybe its radiation? Chemtrails? Lizardman? Probably not.

I had basically just gotten to the point where it was seeming like nobody noticed, but me.
I am an idiot, so if I am the only one who noticed, then that is scary.

My fears have been calmed due to now knowing I am not alone.

Originally posted by killuminati2012
Haha, I saw the title of your thread and clicked on it thinking, "Please tell me this person isn't a native English speaker." You got me.

edit on 4/24/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
But the English language can be so unreasonable, breaking its own rules all the time, adding silent E's and giving the two meanings to one word. we should clean it all up and make it more sensible. get rid of weirdness like ough silent words like heir..pronounced air...it would take a long time to list all the dumb stuff!

some examples...so why just then /than

www.say-it-in-english.com...
edit on 24-4-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I notice it all the time but I find it to be rude to point out someones bad spelling or typos...things happen sometimes..im guilty of it. while im typing along and not thinking twice about it ill have times where it happens...its not always ignorance...i didnt say that you were all raged up.it was the otherr poster that I found to pety that he gets so angry and rageful when he sees it...i know this site is about denying ignorance but lets keep that to subjects and not theyre spelling

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I notice it all the time but I find it to be rude to point out someones bad spelling or typos...things happen sometimes..im guilty of it. while im typing along and not thinking twice about it ill have times where it happens...its not always ignorance...i didnt say that you were all raged up.it was the otherr poster that I found to pety that he gets so angry and rageful when he sees it...i know this site is about denying ignorance but lets keep that to subjects and not theyre spelling

I agree with you 100% Op, but what what really rags me is people who can't get the difference between their, there, and THEY'RE!! I mean, c'mon, what the heck were you doing in school, sniffing glue all day?
edit on 24-4-2011 by buskey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

reply to post by gdaub23

As previously stated- This is not a small error or typo. This is not just one person. This is not just one site. This is not a one time occurrence. This is a particular misuse that I personally have noticed happening more frequently. I first noticed it about 3-4 weeks ago. I wanted to see if I was the only one who noticed or not.

This has nothing to do with any other rules within the English language. These are 2 words, that are spelled similar, but have different meanings. I have known these words for a large part of my life. I have known the correct usage of these words for a large part of my life.

There has always been occasions when I see these words, or many other words, used incorrectly. weather, whether, there, they're, their, here, hear, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc. I make errors all the time.

This particular issue is with the growing frequency of incorrect usage of these two particular words. A majority of the times I have noticed this, it has been people who seem to be very familiar with the English language, and who do not make many errors.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I've been noticing this as long as the Internet has been around. There was a time when most of the writing we saw was in the print media, where such common errors were mediated by editors. It's only since ordinary people could express themselves in "print" (so to speak) that it's become so horrendously obvious how poorly our educators have served us. In other words: people can't write for S#!+!

Another thing I've noticed, though, is the influence of Internet memes on people's writing. It's become... trendy is the only word I can think of... to deliberately switch the spellings of words--especially homophones (their, there, they're). And, to a lesser degree, then/than, where/were, weather/whether, and other words that kids struggled with in 2nd and 3rd grades. I blame 4chan....

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

It's not a matter of spelling. It's a matter of someone using language and syntax properly. It's like people who use they're and their, your and you're, then and than, and many other words this way. I don't find it rude at all to expect someone to be able to relay a thought or an idea in an intelligible manner. It's, in my opinion, common courtesy.

I don't find it rude at all. In fact, when I read resumes from people who are applying for jobs, one of the first things I look at is sentence structure, spelling and language use. It's a direct representation of how someone thinks, and an indicator of his/her attention to detail.

People's spelling and grammar skills are horrible. They spell phonetically and write in dialect, complete colloquialisms and slang, and even made-up words. Typos are one thing...errors. Simple lack of effort to learn and apply is another.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Just reading the title of your thread made me cringe and get annoyed. By the 4th mistake I figured out where you were going with it.

This drives me crazy too
But they don't seem to make it an issue these days in school like they did when I was younger. For example, my son back in 3rd grade brought home a story he had written. It was FULL of spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes. I asked the teacher about it the next day and she said "We don't point out the mistakes, we just want the kids writing..." WHAT??!! I could care less what she says, I edit all of my kids' homework now. I know a lot of things are done on computers with spell check these days, but it never hurts to know how to spell and when to use a darn capital!!

Michelle

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is just a thought, yes there are people out there that do not know the difference, and people that don't care. There are people who don't proof read or have an auto spell check on and only fix the misspellings of the highlighted words when in a hurry. There are people out there that English is not a first language but they are trying to communicate the best they can in their understanding, and some of those do not speak English at all and use Google translate and the program may not be set up to notice the difference. As a single, the numbers are not high, but in combination with each other, may become more noticeable.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Also-
There are people out there who do not actually read everything that the OP has posted, before reaching their own conclusions.

Just recently, I accidentally stumbled upon an excellent example of what I have been saying.
I will not quote it, nor will I link to it, because I do not want to point fingers. I tried breaking it down into 2 short phrases. A 3-word phrase and a 2-word phrase, but the new search engine is actually too good, for this scenario.

The comment began with the individual stating that he/she works in the field of Law. The comment contained the words "their" & "they're," which were both used appropriately. Legal documents have a higher priority than most other texts, as far as ensuring that there are no errors of any kind. The comment that I read was not a legal document, but that connection between this author and the field of law, should mean that it comes natural to them to ensure that everything they write is written correctly.

By the way, the comment has been edited, but it still has the word "then" used instead of using the proper word, which is "than." This is the entire point that I have been attempting to convey.

Context

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I notice it all the time but I find it to be rude to point out someones bad spelling or typos...

The problem is that if everyone felt grammar, punctuation and spelling were no longer important, our written language would turn to crap very quickly. Errors are errors and we shouldn't be enabling people to be less than they can possibly be. Everyone should be open to self improvement.

i know this site is about denying ignorance but lets keep that to subjects and not theyre spelling

You mean 'they're'? lol!

Actually, lazy spelling and grammar is ignorant in my humble opinion. It's the bedrock upon which our intelligence and communication skills are built. It's the filter through which we understand the world around us. You have to wonder why someone can't put a particular word into use (or even spell it) properly when they encounter proper examples of it on a daily basis. You also have to wonder how well they comprehend the written word if they cannot duplicate it correctly.

We shouldn't enable mediocrity. It's a downward spiral where by we gradually accept less, and less, and less.

IRM

edit on 19/8/11 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join