It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Outsources Biotech Crop Evaluation to the GMO Industry!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well here we go again folks it seems that the GMO industry is about to gain a whole lot more ground in the regulation of their products...

The USDA has decided to outsource biotech crop evaluations to the GMO industry because the current evaluation system is not efficent or timely enough. So in turn they want to speed up the process of approving these potentially harmful GMO crops by letting the GMO industry conduct the tests themselves instead of the USDA...

If you had any doubts that our food supply is being sold out to the big business this pretty much shuts the door on those doubts.

Most of us saw this coming a mile away but the GMO takeover is pretty much in full effect.

The U.S. is already cultivating 165 million acres of genetically modified crops, up 7 million acres from just two years ago. Modified seeds and large monocultures in general, are monopolizing our nation’s agriculture system like never before and crop after crop are deemed “safe” by the USDA. We’re headed full speed down a dark, winding road and it seems we’re driving blindfolded. And most recently, according to a story on Grist, the USDA is starting a new program which will outsource environmental impact statements on biotech crops to the GMO industry. Obviously, biotech companies are thrilled with the idea…

www.impactlab.net...-77926

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Have you ever had the feeling of being in a car with a manic when they put their foot down? It is not a matter of if you are going to crash, just how much it is going to hurt and cost. Sounds like daddy just gave the GMO industry the keys to a nice big V8. Better put your seat belt on.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well to be fair this is a very biased site. Why don't you put up the other side of the story as to why they are doing it so we can make a more informed decision about this topic.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Very good analogy haha. Highly disturbing though.

Thanks for the info OP! This is a gigantic conflict of interest, and that is an understatement. This is pretty much a go-ahead for corruption and data trickery/fabrication.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Are you honestly that ignorant about giant-agrobusiness to assume that they EVER have our best interest in mind? Sure, genetically modified crops have potential, but in this corporate favorable climate testing is 'streamlined' (aka half-a$$ed and not over a long enough period) and doesn't give us the assurance it's safe.

Look to any self-regulated institution... they are terribly corrupt.

Separation of power is a cornerstone to accountable states and societies.

...and I'm not even getting into the other downsides of GMOs

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I don't even have words...
2nd

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Well to be fair this is a very biased site. Why don't you put up the other side of the story as to why they are doing it so we can make a more informed decision about this topic.

Did you bother to read the article that was under the quote?

They are doing it because the USDA feels that current studies on the potential for harm and damage that GMO crops may have takes too long and is not efficient enough.

Basically they are selling out to the GMO industry... If you read the article they cited a case where a GMO crop was able to be planted and farmed before testing was even completed as to wether or not it could be potentially harmful so they obviously don't care to begin with or are already reaching into the GMO industries pockets.

Bottom line is if you let an industry regulate itself nothing good can come from it.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

One thing he/she could be getting at is "why the USDA is outsourcing the testing" in the first place. The mantra has always been one, why is the government in the business of testing GMO foods in the first place and second, if they are doing it, they must be doing it inefficiently at the tax payer expense.

While I disagree with these two generalizations, it is a possibility.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
If the USDA set the testing standards and held the GMO industry to it, that could be reasonable.

But of course they won't.

And of course if efficiency/timeliness was the real issue, USDA could hire more people! That would be a better solution. Doesn't everyone want a bigger government?

Yes - we're in deep trouble.

edit on 24-4-2011 by fah0436 because: typos

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Can't say that i'm surprised. Flash enough cash and there goes government oversight.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
When you realise that the same few captains of industry at the top
have overseen, orchastrated and brought about the needless
deaths of untold millions throughtout lifetimes, you begin to see
just how little your own individual life means to these controllers.
This is profit based politics/corruption.

What's another few million deaths, eh?

It's ok though. I guess ye Americans can afford to wait until
it gets a whole lot worse before acting.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I would like to say I agree that this Is a very bad move for the U.S. But upon thinking about it I got another question in my head. How come people complain about too much government intrusion and regulation yet when the oversight goes away you then complain the government isn't doing enough or that the big companies are taking over? It's either big government or big corporations. Where's the big "people"

top topics

join