It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ubuntu 11 Help, Advice

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Okay I just ran the Linux Mint Live CD for about 30min. OMG it's super fast, intuitive and FUN!

My audio card worked flawlessly with it's normal high quality sound.

I will likley make the move but I'm faced with a difficult choice.

I just used the latest Linux Mint OS...next week Ubuntu 11 is released. Is it better to just use the older mint as I assume most of the bug issues have been worked out or do I go with the latest release of Ubuntu and hope that it's as stable as mint?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Others can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think you should be good either way. Unlike most proprietary software, the users are good about getting pretty much all the issues out pre-release of any official versions.

I prefer Mint myself - it's actually based on Ubuntu but has more of a focus on being user friendly off the bat...and is what I cut my teeth on. I don't think you'll have a bad experience either way.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Thanks Praetorius. Mint has such a sexy interface, I do think I prefer it to the current release of Ubuntu. If you say it's a bit more user friendly that would probably be a good choice for someone like me that's new to the OS.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
One more question for the people in the know.

My computer is capable of going to the 64bit version. Is that advisable? If there as much software available for the 64bit as the 32bit?...etc.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Mint is loosely based on Ubuntu (like a parent version) but then modified to give it its own style. Therefore, Mint team does strive to time releases to Ubuntu, but it's not always exact. The Mint team does claim to be more strict with releases, they will lag behind some preferring to go with stability and do try to bring more polish and fewer bugs, as well. Now, bear in mind that it's always a work in progress and you will have issues crop up, especially with new versions. My personal preference is to run the Mint 9 (long term support, 2013) though I did test Mint 10 and did not have any issues. Mint 9 and 10 roughly correspond to the Ubuntu releases. Mint 11 is in Beta here is a little info. and there is more chat on the forums, if you want to know what might be coming later... As for version, I have tried both the 32bit and 64bit version Mint 9/10 and did not notice a difference (both seemed to run just as fast, one was not more/less buggy, etc) so it's your choice. Either will work.

I think your plan to dual-boot (at first) is probably a good one. Windows 7 has a function so that you can shrink its partition and I have read that it is recommended to do it that way, versus using Gparted. Windows will only shrink it so far, so let it default. Then, install Mint/Ubuntu to the remaining unused volume/partition space. When/if you get that far, read up on how to partition Linux manually next to Windows. It's not difficult, but letting it auto select won't be optimal.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Thanks LS!

You are leading me well.

I'm a bit nervous to make the install so I'm going to make an acronis image of win 7 and all my documents on an external HD before taking the plunge. I think I'll go with mint 64bit when I get the courage and feel a bit more confident. Hopefully I can just leave my documents and music on my second HD and just access them through Mint. This way my Mint install and personal files are stored separately if something goes wrong for me just like I do with a windows install.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I just made the jump to Linux, I was using windows vista, I did a full install, I am using Mint with the KDE desktop, It is really sweet looking. And its really smooth.

I would suggest a live USB, it runs a lot faster, if you go into the download part of the Ubuntu under try it, it will give you USB or live CD..

Problems I had with Mint,

Some trouble getting my Nvidia graphics card installed. But it was an easy fix after a quick Search.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'm not sure my pc will boot from usb but I could always look. My current plan is to delete half my music collection. . . lol what a pain in the rear it is to have so much to backup.

I'm just waiting for the backup to complete....over 12 hours right now using RichCopy. I didn't want to switch to Linux with my current backup set of acronis images. I will then install Mint as my only OS. . .If I need a windows program I will use virtual machine or install wine.

If something goes wrong of I don't like Mint/Linux I will just remount/install my win 7 acronis image I made yesterday and I'll be right back to where I was.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I'm not sure my pc will boot from usb but I could always look. My current plan is to delete half my music collection. . . lol what a pain in the rear it is to have so much to backup.

I'm just waiting for the backup to complete....over 12 hours right now using RichCopy. I didn't want to switch to Linux with my current backup set of acronis images. I will then install Mint as my only OS. . .If I need a windows program I will use virtual machine or install wine.

If something goes wrong of I don't like Mint/Linux I will just remount/install my win 7 acronis image I made yesterday and I'll be right back to where I was.

If you do a partition I think you should be able to drag your Windows files over to your Linux OS.

KDE was a little slow on my Dad's XP laptop. But if your computer is windows 7 it should fly.

Linux uses a lot less power then Vista. (Don't know about 7) With vista my computer was always running HOT and the fans always were flying.

I have been leaving it on over night to download current updates, and ran smooth all night long.
edit on 26-4-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That's great man, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in the conversion. Knowing you made the switch makes me more confident.

Anyone know of a decent media center type program for linux? I have a dual tuner tv card I'd like to record and watch television with.

EDIT: btw are you happy with the kde version? It looks nice but it doesn't seem as intuitive as the standard mint os.
edit on 4/26/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I am Very new at this so I am just guessing

In Linux you will have a software manager, with LOADS of free (Open source) You can download off the web too.

I did a quick search.

tvtime

This package provides a high quality television application for use with video capture cards. It processes the input from a capture card and displays it on a computer monitor or projector. Tvtime focuses on high visual quality, making it ideal for videophiles.

Main features:
* deinterlaced output at a full interlaced rate of 59.94 frames per
second for NTSC sources, or 50 frames per second for PAL sources.
This gives smoothness of motion and high visual quality;
* multiple deinterlacing algorithms for finding the optimal mode for
the video content and available processor speed;
* 16:9 aspect ratio mode for the highest available resolution when
processing input from an external DVD player or digital satellite
receiver;
* super-slick on-screen-display for the complete television
experience, with a featureful menu system;
* "2:3 pulldown" detection for optimal quality viewing of film content
from NTSC sources.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Sorry I missed your edit.

So far I like the KDE a lot. I am running Mint Gnome form a Virtual desktop and that looks nice too. IMO the Gnome has more of a Windows like feel to it.

KDE uses widgets instead of icons.
KDE

The other major feature of KDE 4 are its widgets and plasmoids, which are almost one and the same. Widget is the generic term for any small application that directly manipulates specific data. They may come from a variety of sources such as Google Gadgets and the Mac OS X dashboard. Plasmoids on the other hand are Plasma-specific widgets native to Plasma itself. Here's a widget/plasmoid that displays network activity ...

ATS I am Going Linux, but which one?
edit on 26-4-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
KingLizard. Hope you have fun converting over to Linux. I duel boot all of my machines with Windows and Linux and I find I use Linux a lot more than Windows...Mainly because it seems faster and safer. Remember - Any problems you experience when you are using linux can usually be solved by a quick google of the problem.

You was after a media center for linux? have a look at XMBC I think it could be what you are after

xbmc.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Thanks guys for your guidance.

xbmc looks like a good package

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Media center - you mean something like this? MythTV and MythWeb are accessible through the Mint synaptic package manager. There are probably other options as well, that was just a quick search.

edit on 26-4-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I just committed to Mint 10 64bit and see struggles ahead. Already having issues with my dual monitor setup. I'll figure it out and I'm not discouraged. I know this is going to be an ongoing learning experience.

*crosses fingers*

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Are you running nvida graphics?

With my laptop I had some trouble getting them to work.

If anything (Hardware) does not work, Check your additional drivers.

If there are any (and your using nvidia) make sure you use nvidia current, and if it fails to download/install then, Open terminal and type "sudo apt-get update" (no quotes) and then re-try.

Keep working on the system, once you get all the bugs worked out it is a really sweet operating system.

This computer will not see another Windows OS again.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I just did another clean install of Mint 10. I will not use the nvidia driver as the default manager works fine in Mint.

I'm ready for the roller-coaster....

*raises both hand above head*

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I just did another clean install of Mint 10. I will not use the nvidia driver as the default manager works fine in Mint.

I'm ready for the roller-coaster....

*raises both hand above head*

Have fun.... Check out the software manager, loads of cool programs to download.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Thanks friend.

I did have to download partition manager...just want to see how the OS installed.

I'm very happy thus far, no issues whatsoever.

I will try Ubuntu 11.04 today as it released what...10 hours ago.

<< 1    3 >>

join