It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police block Beijing Easter service - 36 Detained

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Police block Beijing Easter service - 36 Detained

www.cnn.com

The site of a planned outdoor Easter service at one of China's largest independent "house" churches was eerily silent Sunday as police blocked more than 500 worshippers from leaving their homes and detained more than 36 for attempting to attend religious services in Beijing, church officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Something always seems to happen on major holidays. Not that it's a huge surprise. I mean we are talking about China. Still what are your thoughts?

I personally think that this is very sad that China felt the need to do this to their people.

It's not every day that we get to have a Easter celebration. I mean it's basically the point of our religion. That Jesus did indeed fulfill prophecy. But I guess that's open to if you believe or not. I do but that isnt the topic.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I've been to China, including Beijing, this is nonsense.

End of story.

I know Muslim, Christian, Jewish and Hindi Chinese followers who openly stand by their religions and don't have any problem in praying in their individual temples. You are being fed bullcrap and asking for a peppercorn sauce to go with it.

-m0r

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
I've been to China, including Beijing, this is nonsense.

End of story.

I know Muslim, Christian, Jewish and Hindi Chinese followers who openly stand by their religions and don't have any problem in praying in their individual temples. You are being fed bullcrap and asking for a peppercorn sauce to go with it.

-m0r

So China didnt arrest people for being Christian?

They aren't really that bad? This is fake?

I'm afraid I'm not following you.

- Drew

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hmm.

There was an article stating that China was going to dump over a trillion in US debt and here we see an article about Christians being prevented from worshiping their borrowed pagan holiday.

Coincidence? Or do most conflicts start by getting the US citizens spun up about how other countries are not allowed to gather and thank the baby Jesus?

Something to think about.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749

This is correct.

This too, is correct.

You are following propaganda. Don't worry, I'm sure there is something to this story, but what you are bring told is completely wrong.

I'd recommend visiting China. It's a pretty cool place (and very large).

-m0r

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Hmm.

There was an article stating that China was going to dump over a trillion in US debt and here we see an article about Christians being prevented from worshiping their borrowed pagan holiday.

Coincidence? Or do most conflicts start by getting the US citizens spun up about how other countries are not allowed to gather and thank the baby Jesus?

Hmmm well by no means do I think this would make anyone be like "LETS BOMB CHINA."

I just think it's sad. Also it's CNN. I really don't think they're that bad. I mean they are definitely more "left" but still.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty

This is correct.

This too, is correct.

You are following propaganda. Don't worry, I'm sure there is something to this story, but what you are bring told is completely wrong.

I'd recommend visiting China. It's a pretty cool place (and very large).

-m0r

If only I had money to do that. So what makes you sure there is more to the story?

Just a gut feeling or what??

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I've been to China. Christianity and other religions are practiced openly.

There is no anti-religious police or movement there. If this church was shut down then it's due to some other factor than religion.

-m0r

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I have lived in China (beijing) for two years, plus travelled around china, and i came across many different religous people who are free to worship. In fact, there are parts of China where most of the people are muslim and they are free to practice there religon.

I hate these BS stories that are put out there to make China look bad. Yes, i know China is not perfect, and still has problems, but what country does not have problems. These BS stories are happening because alot of people don't like the fact that China is going to be the next super power.

It makes me laugh what some people say about China. Like i said, i lived there for two years. And to tell you the truth, i felt more safe walking the streets there than i do in the uk. I could do all the things i could do here in the uk.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I personally think that this is very sad that China felt the need to do this to their people.

The Chinese authorities are constantly curtailing rights and liberties, so nothing new in this. I think it is sad that people are surprised when they hear of human rights abuses in China.

The Chinese government are quite generous in their abuses, although are very professional in hiding it – especially from the Chinese. The fact that this story will be “unobtainable” to Chinese internet users is merely a demonstration of the Chinese government’s control and subjugation.

Just look up Falun Gong to appreciate the lengths the Chinese government will go to crack down on religious movements.

Falun Gong from Wikipedia
Amnesty International on China (what a nice country to live in)

Think about this next time you buy something “made in China”.

Regards

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

The Chinese authorities are constantly curtailing rights and liberties, so nothing new in this. I think it is sad that people are surprised when they hear of human rights abuses in China.

The Chinese government are quite generous in their abuses, although are very professional in hiding it – especially from the Chinese. The fact that this story will be “unobtainable” to Chinese internet users is merely a demonstration of the Chinese government’s control and subjugation.

Just look up Falun Gong to appreciate the lengths the Chinese government will go to crack down on religious movements.

Falun Gong from Wikipedia
Amnesty International on China (what a nice country to live in)

Think about this next time you buy something “made in China”.

Regards

And what country are you from? Is your country perfect, no problems? Yes, we all know that China has some issues that need to be changed, and they are changing. You have to remember that China 20 years ago was like north korea, They are opening up, and they are changing, Have you been to China or lived there?

And i can't believe you brought up Falun_Gong. I suggest you do some research on that horrible cult and see for yourself that China done the right thing. I remember watching a documentry about how families were torn apart by there loved ones joining the cult and bever to hear from them again. I have heard the hate speech and bs they spread for example, about gay people, But i guess you knew nothing about that!

The problem here is not just the bad stuff in china, but the BS that is being spread about China. Like i said, i lived in Beijing for two years and loved it. And believe it or not, china is full of western people living there and making a living like i was.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Well, didn't China ban reincarnation without government approval?

edit on 4/24/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
The problem here is not just the bad stuff in china, but the BS that is being spread about China. Like i said, i lived in Beijing for two years and loved it. And believe it or not, china is full of western people living there and making a living like i was.

Prove me that I am wrong. China has a poor human rights record. It is well catalogued by human rights groups. Just because you lived there does not mean that it does not happen - it perhaps shows how well they manipulate situations and circumstances, especially in the closeted shiny cities with a contained expatiate population.

My government may not be flawless, but they don't imprison people who criticise them or lock up protesters and do blah, blah, blah. It’s all there if you look. China has a poor human rights record.

As to Falun Gong… It does not matter what it is, but it does matter that the cult has been so brutally crushed. Not the actions of a civilised society.

Regards

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
China is the WORST country on the Planet for Human Rights violations. I would never step foot into that horrid place. CNN is not BSing they really did arrest scores of Christians trying to go into a church and pray.

I am not exactly "Pro Religion" but I AM pro freedom for people to believe how they choose. Locking people up and throwing them in jail for their religious beliefs, Folun Gong, Tibetan monks, Buddhists, Christians is NOT the right way to go about it. It is sad that China is so backwards.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by Jay-morris

Prove me that I am wrong. China has a poor human rights record. It is well catalogued by human rights groups. Just because you lived there does not mean that it does not happen - it perhaps shows how well they manipulate situations and circumstances, especially in the closeted shiny cities with a contained expatiate population.

My government may not be flawless, but they don't imprison people who criticise them or lock up protesters and do blah, blah, blah. It’s all there if you look. China has a poor human rights record.

As to Falun Gong… It does not matter what it is, but it does matter that the cult has been so brutally crushed. Not the actions of a civilised society.

Regards

Did you read what i said! And why won't you tell me where you are from? I never said that China's human rights is not bad. What i have said is there is so much BS said about China, and alot of it comes from people who have never been to China and just go by what they see in the media and hersay. A good example is Falun Gong. I have come across so many people, like yourself, who bring them up, even when you know little about the cult. You don't know that they are against mixed races having relationships, against gay people.

You don't hear the media saying this about the cult. Its all "oh, this poor religon is being persecuted" Why do you think that is? It is a horrible cult that has destroyed many lives, and you think thats ok?

Do you believe everything you read and see about China? I have seen many parts of China, from the big cities to the country side where many poor people live. I have seen protesters in Beijing protesting about loosing land or some other problem. Yes, we all know that China's human rights needs to be improved, but all i am saying is there is so much BS coming from people about China.
edit on 25-4-2011 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by idonotcollectstamps
China is the WORST country on the Planet for Human Rights violations. I would never step foot into that horrid place. CNN is not BSing they really did arrest scores of Christians trying to go into a church and pray.

I am not exactly "Pro Religion" but I AM pro freedom for people to believe how they choose. Locking people up and throwing them in jail for their religious beliefs, Folun Gong, Tibetan monks, Buddhists, Christians is NOT the right way to go about it. It is sad that China is so backwards.

Oh dear!

People are not locked up for being religous! Religon is practiced freely in China. From christians to muslims, they are free to practice there religon. I went to a part of China where most of the people where muslim, so that basically tells you that what you are hearing is BS And you bring up Folun Gong, just like the poster above, and i bet you know little about this cult, like the poster above!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Hmm.

Easter is not 'borrowed' but transformed.

Easter is Passover...
...the words are the same in every European language except english...
...Passover was observed in the spring...
...so some symbols from other springs festivals were could up in the celebration of Easter...that's all.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by idonotcollectstamps

Uh, I think then you've never heard of North Korea. China has it's problems and the government does step on what we see as human rights. They do it mostly out of fear of things getting out of hand and idiotic beliefs that it actually does the government good.

The truth is that here in China religions can be freely practiced. There are many churches and temples of Christian, Muslim, Buddhist and Jewish faiths, just to name a few. There is even talk in the official press about members of the party itself openly speaking about the religion, something not officially allowed of party members.

However, if these folks begin to do things which makes city, province or central government officials nervous (as in Falong Gong) they will come over and harass you and if that doesn't work they have shown their willingness to use other means. But if you like the status quo, no problem.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

You can bang on about China "not being that bad" and how Falun Gong are "evil", but that is not the point. The point is that the Chinese Authorities have brutally suppressed Falun Gong. You may think that’s OK, but then you are not someone who has been incarcerated, beaten up, tortured and (yes), killed. Look to Amnesty or HRW who have documented abuse, or just look Look here for examples

The Chinese authorities also seek to control religion and although you may be free to participate in religious gatherings, you need to do so in a controlled environment where the religious message is acceptable to the ruling Communist Party.

HRW - China and religion

Of course it is not just Falun Gong or other religions. It is any movement who dares to speak out against the single party, self serving dictatorship that runs China. You may think that’s OK, if you believe in human rights then it’s not OK. It's a disgrace.

Regards

top topics

<<   2 >>

join