It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Guard

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Do you think joining the National Guard will give me some survival skills?
I know it's not active duty, but i'm only 17. After i finish high school, i plan to enlist in the army, and preferably go to ranger school.

I am going to join the National Guard regardless. But another thing is, Will i get issued gear? I just want to know before i begin building and buying stuff for a BOB.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
HOOAH!!!!
This will be one of the BEST decisions of your life!!
You will be trained like active duty, wear the uniform of active duty, and yes you'll get issued field gear for the occasion you do go to the field.
Do yourself a favor: DO NOT LISTEN to the negative people telling you to NOT ENLIST, Listen to the other Vets here

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
HOOAH!!!!
This will be one of the BEST decisions of your life!!
You will be trained like active duty, wear the uniform of active duty, and yes you'll get issued field gear for the occasion you do go to the field.
Do yourself a favor: DO NOT LISTEN to the negative people telling you to NOT ENLIST, Listen to the other Vets here

Oh I've never been one to listen to people, ask my mom

What gear would i be issued?

I'm going to talk to the recruiter next week.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Back in the day, you could join the national guard at 16 with parent's consent. I did that and it was a great thing. I am more concerned about that now and cannot in good conscience recommend it anymore. Yes you will get gear, and depending on mos, training which will be invaluable. However, with the current state of our nation and the inappropriate uses of our military, you have to ask yourself if you are willing to participate in the NWO empire building exercises upon which we are currently embarked. Then make your decision.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Being in the NG I'll give you my two sense,
You'll get gear but its extremely bottom shelf stuff,
Basic training was chill, met knew ppl who I still catch up with today, laughed at the idiots who couldnt handle it or thought they could just quit(ehh! wrong).
I joined with a 20,000 signing bonus, your not going to get that now a days.
Long story short if I knew then what I know now about the government, I wouldnt have done it.
Good Luck man

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Congrats on making that decision, but do not listen to the recruiters they will tell you anything to get you in your just a number in there quota to fill.....

I was in the Guard 6 years and did plenty of things in that time and yes you will get gear and depending upon your unit it might be ancient or it might be new stuff just depends on how much funding they have and whether a deployment is upcoming or just recently happened. My unit deployed about 4 yrs in so I had crappy falling apart gear from the Vietnam war
but I didn't deploy due to an medical issue and I just finished my 6yrs in February.....

So all your questions just depend on the Unit you join, maybe talk to someone from the unit your wanting to join and not the recruiter to really get an idea of what it's like for those already in the recruiter won't be as honest as the members will be...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sforscott

I was Active for 8 years and reserve for a few months. In my experience I would advise you to join the "Regular" Army. Reserve and Guard get called up and sent to 3rd world shi1th0les far to often and receive less benefits. If your going to do it, do it right and get the most out of your service.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Absolutely!!
You will go into the army guard and then you will be activated into full time service like the rest of the national guard.
While you are serving your...well who knows how long you will be over there and in which country our oligarchy is strip mining next.
You will get to kill brown men with many tools, and avoiding sniper fire and IED's you will figure out how to survive, ...if you do survive.
Or you could just stay out of the US sausage grinder, think for yourself, read up on survival tech and implement it locally.
Your choice

(Edit)
If you want gear, your local army navy store will have what you are looking for.
The only cost is cash, not your soul.
Hope it helps.
edit on 24-4-2011 by g146541 because: hoooaah armynavy store.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I have my own personal issues against such a thing but I will not bring them into it here.
I would like to say however, that you need to pay very close attention to what's going on in the world ATM. You may believe that signing up will not mean active duty, but if push comes to shove it will be. You need to make an informed decision as to whether you think the current issues in our country and around the world are things you are willing to fight for. If you have a problem with ANY of it, I suggest you re-think your decision. You will have no say in where you go, or what you fight against. As an earlier poster mentioned, you cannot just walk away. If you truly believe in what there is to fight for/against, then more power to you. I am a strong supporter of all of our service members, as I believe that THEY believe they are doing the right thing.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

I was Active for 8 years and reserve for a few months. In my experience I would advise you to join the "Regular" Army. Reserve and Guard get called up and sent to 3rd world shi1th0les far to often and receive less benefits. If your going to do it, do it right and get the most out of your service.

I was gonna do both, Be part of the national guard until i could transfer to the Army.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by opnureyes

I agree you will just be wasting your time if you join anyways and you will more than likely get nothing out of it and if you deploy well you'll lose more than you gain it's really not worth the time, you'll look back on your time in the NG and like me and most my buddies out now you will be going "what a waste of time that was!" and forget about any incentives now heck I had the 10,000 bonus and saw maybe 6-7,000 of it they tax it like crazy and you'll get lied to constantly.....
Basically I disliked my country more and more as I was in but that's because I started "waking up" while I was in, to things going on in this World and our country....

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sforscott
Do you think joining the National Guard will give me some survival skills?

But another thing is, Will i get issued gear? I just want to know before i begin building and buying stuff for a BOB.

I learned more survival-like stuff in ROTC (yes, really) and then my Officer's Basic Course than I did in just regular National Guard duty but your mileage may vary. However, I was in with a lot of Vietnam vets and did pick up a lot of interesting stuff from them, especially during annual training when we had a lot of time out in the woods to practice or just talk about more survival techniques.

My son was in the National Guard and before his unit getting activated (he went to Iraq & Afghanistan) he went to several special schools he signed up for through the Guard to get training -- probably what you would want to do to get any real survival training.

As to that last statement about gear and building a BOB... the stuff you are issued isn't usually yours to keep forever. You generally have to turn your gear in when you change units, etc. Having your own personal BOB built around gear you personally purchase is still wise. Plus, like others have said, National Guard gear is usually (though not always) hand-me-downs, cast-offs, and "old" stuff from regular Army. It may have changed some over the years but we were usually a few years behind on gear (although we could always go out and buy our own if we wanted, many did).

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

big mistake-go read your bible and find out about real life-or if you just want to be a good human being, go find a honerable job that you can be really proud of later in life-
A war dog for the nwo-hero worshipping crowd will bring you what it has brought for most vets---guilt to a point of killing yourselves, depression, many serious health problems from -immunization shots-chemicals-being around depleated unurainum war heads-[plan on kids who dont have extra-or not enough body parts]-not to mention being shot for being in a country you have no right to be in---GO AHEAD AND BE A KILLER-but you will get yours as everybody will

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by itsawild1

big mistake-go read your bible and find out about real life-or if you just want to be a good human being, go find a honerable job that you can be really proud of later in life-
A war dog for the nwo-hero worshipping crowd will bring you what it has brought for most vets---guilt to a point of killing yourselves, depression, many serious health problems from -immunization shots-chemicals-being around depleated unurainum war heads-[plan on kids who dont have extra-or not enough body parts]-not to mention being shot for being in a country you have no right to be in---GO AHEAD AND BE A KILLER-but you will get yours as everybody will

I'm looking for more constructive criticism rather than an anti NWO rant.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

You'll see alot of that here...ALL of it from people who dont have the stones to enlist, and thank god they dont, they'd question orders and get people killed
You made a great choice...sign on bonuses, loan repayment, free job training, and the best thing over asll of them
You get to serve the greatest nation on earth
The drawback is you serve to defend the people who are naysayers
Ignore em

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Ok if that is the way you see it.
The OP could join the Coast Guard, then he could still serve "The greatest nation on earth", but chances are if he ever has to fire on a human being it will be for a reason and not blind cover fire.
There he will get some fine survival skills as the USCG is heavy into search and rescue.
Best of all, where he will be stationed the girls are much prettier there and their father will not want to honor kill him for looking at their pretty daughter.

Now he will be able to bravely serve his country with all of the comforts of home.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
if you want to join then join

if you dont want to join then dont

but by all means fully comprehend what it means to put on that uniform

fully understand those consequences.

you will learn alot about yourself and what you can and cant do and that knowledge will change your life forever.

i have seen alot of people join for the wrong reasons all i can say i make sure its something you absolutely want to do.

edit on 24-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The Coast Guard or National Guard would be a good starting point. I'm partial to the Army (retired). If you're thinking about going Army after a stint in the NG think about Army straight away. Just take anything a recruiter says with a grain of salt. Promises, promises. Your basic training will push you to show you how much you can really do and give you confidence in yourself (I can already hear the keyboards clacking away to disprove me). Any combat training and survival skills beyond the little bit in basic come if you go infantry or SF (HOOO-AHHHH!!!)

Not everybody goes into battle. There's mechanics, cops, cooks, computer folks, store clerks, basically a small self comtained country on every base.

If all you ae looking for is training and gear then the surplus store and someplace like Thunder Ranch, one of Cody Lundin's schools, or another good wilderness survival school would suit you better. With proper training and education you can even, in the future, set up your own school for people just like you are now...searchers for survival peace-of-mind and preparedness.

Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck and give it your best.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Remember one thing:

If it's not in your enlistment contract it WON'T HAPPEN.

If you wanna make it to Ranger school just go active. Make sure airborne school is in your contract and make sure ranger selection is in your contract.

Other than that. If you smoke, quit now. If you do any drugs, stop now.. If you don't exercise, you'd better start NOW.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

While you are serving your...well who knows how long you will be over there and in which country our oligarchy is strip mining next.

The most eloquent description I've read in many years. And, unfortunately ...... the most accurate.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join