It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koran-burning pastor Terry Jones jailed for refusing to pay a $1 'peace' bond

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

News Article

Koran-burning pastor Terry Jones was jailed briefly for refusing to pay a $1 'peace' bond over his planned protest outside the largest mosque in America. Jones was also banned from demonstrating and ordered him to stay away for three years from the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, Michigan. The pastor and a supporter, Wayne Sapp, were later released from custody after the bond was paid.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
OK, I really can't stand this man. I don't believe in anything he stands for.
BUT...
Really? This is just another example of what is happening to this "FREE" country we live in. When a man can be jailed, even if only for a short time, simply for not making peace with those he offended??? This story makes me sick on so many levels.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
If it was toward anyone other than muslims, I believe his actions would be considered a hate crime. He's purposefully inciting violent reaction from a segment of people. What's the difference between what he did and burning a cross in someone's front yard? There's far less hateful ways to get his point point/ideas across

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatar22
BUT...
Really? This is just another example of what is happening to this "FREE" country we live in. When a man can be jailed, even if only for a short time, simply for not making peace with those he offended??? This story makes me sick on so many levels.

I agree, its stupidity all around, but only his stupidity unnecessarily endangers the lives of people not even involved in his crap.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Human coexistence seems like a more difficult prospect each day we allow religion to poison what we think say and do. Sure, it's true that the violent ones are generally a minority. That doesn't need to be repeated, but as it is with employees, the worst 10% cause 90% of the problems and the problems aren't good at all.

In fact, they are bad.

I support his right to protest WITHOUT having to ask or get a permit, regardless of how hateful or bigoted he might be. I also support the right of the public to counter-protest as they see fit.

The end story here has nothing to do with the story itself, but with two ideas.

1) Requiring permits to exercise rights on public land is insane and wrong.

2) Religion isn't something that good outweighs the bad in society. Perhaps in personal lives, but not in society at large.

Peace
KJ

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by littlesheep2011

This is an ILLEGAL attempt to steal his FREEDOM OF SPEECH, FREEDOM TO PEACFULLY ASSEMBLE AND FREEDOM OF RELIGION.
Yes this guy is a major @sshat ! But our CONSTITUTION guarantees him the right to be an @sshat.

What that court did was to hold a mock/illegal trial to prevent him from peacefully protesting. Now the city will be sued and they will loose, costing the tax payers millions of dollars. Anyone involved in this ILLEGAL activity should be tried and if found guilty, jailed for violating this idiots CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

The United States Supreme Court just decided the Westboro Baptist Church had the same rights that was denied by this pastor so this is not a black and white issue of discrimination.

WE THE PEOPLE must uphold everyone's freedoms before we lose our own. Speak up while we can !

NEVER FORGET
"First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me."
Pastor Martin Niemoller

edit on 24-4-2011 by jfj123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Absolutely sickening! What a great example of the greatness of holy churches X).

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

This is just another example of what is happening to this "FREE" country we live in. When a man can be jailed, even if only for a short time, simply for not making peace with those he offended??? This story makes me sick on so many levels.

I agree. I believe its indicative of the absolute lack of personal responsibility anyone feels anymore. Did you see a pretty girl and get inappropriate? Well don't worry, it was her fault for looking the way she does... She shouldn't go out like that. Kill a bunch of innocent people? Well don't worry, someone somewhere did something to make you mad.

Imagine if one Christian citizen of the united states hurt an innocent Muslim and then said that he did it because he read that Muslims are killing Christians. Sounds horrible doesn't it? But who do you blame for killing the innocent muslim? The killer seems like a logical choice.

But, if Muslims kill Christians, (because of a freaking book burning), who do we blame? Why the book burner of course. He "incited" them to violence... Like he somehow forced people to commit a violent act.

Perhaps if we all held ourselves accountable for our actions, things wouldn't get so incredibly ridiculous and people could express their views in, gasp!, ways that other people may not agree with. There are a lot of people that are expressing themselves in ways that I find ridiculous and morally bankrupt, yet I have yet to believe that they should be prohibited from doing so. (And I sure haven't injured a bunch of people who had absolutely nothing to do with anything I'm upset about)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Don't really know what to say.. lol

This guy is the biggest douche since our last president. And I'm glad he saw jail, however it seems America has lost allll of its values. He's allowed to hate us as muslims, so why was he jailed, and why did he have to pay $1??? I don't get it... Can comebody explain this please?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
So the pastor refused, effectively, to pay jizya and was punished.

Sounds about right for the way we're headed...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Here, you read about exactly what Jizya is, and then understand that you just made yourself look like a fool.

Jizya

Oh, and then tell me how THAT compares to..

a $1 'peace' bond

edit on 24-4-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by badw0lf

Here, you read about exactly what Jizya is, and then understand that you just made yourself look like a fool.

Jizya

Oh, and then tell me how THAT compares to..

a $1 'peace' bond

edit on 24-4-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

Ahhuh. Refusing to pay money so to not offend muslims, or suffer the consequences.

We know who the REAL boss is, anyway.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

BUT...

So you believe anything the religion of peace stands for?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Don't really know what to say.. lol

This guy is the biggest douche since our last president. And I'm glad he saw jail, however it seems America has lost allll of its values. He's allowed to hate us as muslims, so why was he jailed, and why did he have to pay $1??? I don't get it... Can comebody explain this please?

Sure he was jailed to prevent him from expressing his CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.
The trial was a way to make him unavailable to protest....again taking away his CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

You see, our government officials are so afraid of muslim extremists, they're willing to destroy our own CONSTITUTION to appease them. It reminds me of the nazi collaborators during WW II.

These people who STOLE this idiots CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS are no better than the terrorists they protect, appease and support.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

...to be entitled to Muslim state's protection from outside aggression, to be exempted from military service and the zakat taxes obligatory upon Muslim citizens

Sorry family but I see nothing there that states that Jizya was paid so muslims were "not offended".

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Our government has gone against the constitution for wall street bankers too. Are they afraid of wall street extremists??

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen if a musim group protested in front of a church.
It wouldn't be allowed, surely.

OOOPS, I guess they can.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I don't agree with the mans tactics but I don't agree with his arrest for refusing to pay either. He burned a book and this is what happens? I know his actions are purely childish and are just to garner attention to his so called crusade, but both sides need to let this go. I want to remind everyone that anyone can become an ordained minister online so just because he is supposedly doing this with the Christian faith in mind doesn't make it so.

I don't believe a true Christian or Muslim wants to fight one another. This whole book burning thing is blown out of proportion by holier than thou religious nuts on both sides. One being Terry Jones.
edit on 24-4-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
But this is just fine....
REALLY?????????

WTF ????

But somebody burns one koran

or draws one image of mohamad

And this happens

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

Our government has gone against the constitution for wall street bankers too. Are they afraid of wall street extremists??

Of course they are.
If they weren't, why wouldn't those in charge of knowingly destroying our economy and throwing the United States into a depression, be arrested and charged?????

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join