It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Making Drugs To 'Improve' Your Behavior

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The truly scary thing here is that the 'lab rats' for these different drugs are almost always children. It is a refined science to get parents to put their kids on meds now.

I work in a middle school, in special ed, which gives me access to a lot of records that most employees dont have. I can tell you, the ratio of medicated to unmedicated students these days is appalling.

And as things like the arts and phys ed are slowly phased out, the amount of medicated students rises.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Smoking weed would help everybody but they cant figure out how tto keep people from growing thier own

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
great, isn't that what lead to the reavers ?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Thanks to all that took time to reply.
I can relate to all comments in some way

Thanks 'finitydream' for the link & encouragement. I've been perscribed xanax too,but only take it in extreme cases due to the addictive nature also. I have struggled with this for the last 18 years to varying degrees(post natal depression) which took me a long time to get help, as I thought I was just down to circumstances at the time & didnt believe meds could help.Problem was I left it sooo long, thinking I just 'wasn't trying hard enough' to get better that by the time I realised I couldn't do it, the destuctive thought patterns etc were firmly entrenched habits that have proved impossible to eradicate so far. Throw in crappy doctors,wrong advice & generally being treated as a number in a waiting room, I'm sure this has all contributed negatively as well.
By conforming I meant that it seems everyone (dr's,aunts ,sister etc) thinks I should just 'pop my pill', whereby I wouldn't be happy but I could function without the fuss for everyone else. I should note that when asking my kids which 'mum' they would prefer, they all picked 'un-medicated mum', hence my decision to stay away from the meds.
I do hate being a 'problem' to my family & feeling like a failure for not 'getting it right' but have always held the belief that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE in this world will have a natural answer that can work for me & my son.
Its just finding it thats the tricky part.....

Hopefully this site will ,if not giving me the answers, can point me in some directions I've not yet explored.
Best wishes & kindness to you all.x

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This just screams population control.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jewells
Thanks to all that took time to reply.
I can relate to all comments in some way

Thanks 'finitydream' for the link & encouragement. I've been perscribed xanax too,but only take it in extreme cases due to the addictive nature also. I have struggled with this for the last 18 years to varying degrees(post natal depression) which took me a long time to get help, as I thought I was just down to circumstances at the time & didnt believe meds could help.Problem was I left it sooo long, thinking I just 'wasn't trying hard enough' to get better that by the time I realised I couldn't do it, the destuctive thought patterns etc were firmly entrenched habits that have proved impossible to eradicate so far. Throw in crappy doctors,wrong advice & generally being treated as a number in a waiting room, I'm sure this has all contributed negatively as well.

Jewells - my heart goes out to you for I have also struggled with these same issues since I was 14 years old. Firstly, it's not my intent to be patronizing toward anyone who was compassionate enough to respond to your post and whereas alternatively based treatments can sometimes help to temporarily alleviate some of the symptoms of chronic depression, bipolar disorder (without psychosis) or generalized anxiety disorder, the reality is that these illnesses are caused by a chemical deficiency in the brain and if it progresses too far without intervention (as you described above), you can pass the point of no return and do something irrevocable to yourself because your entire thought process is distorted. There is no possible way to describe what this feels like to someone who has not experienced it themselves and again, I mean no disrespect to other posters.

By conforming I meant that it seems everyone (dr's,aunts ,sister etc) thinks I should just 'pop my pill', whereby I wouldn't be happy but I could function without the fuss for everyone else. I should note that when asking my kids which 'mum' they would prefer, they all picked 'un-medicated mum', hence my decision to stay away from the meds.

Again, having been there myself, I feel compelled to ask you the difficult questions. Your impression right now is that your family is being so inconvenienced by your disfunction that they would rather have you pop a zombie pill to save themselves the inconvenience. Does that sound right to you when said by someone else? Do you really think that their own convenience would outway their loving concern for you? Perhaps that is the case in your family - I really don't know and am merely posing the question. Also, you say that your children would rather have a "un-medicated mum" - why do you think that is so? Is it possible they have overheard your own worries about the meds and are saying what they think you want to hear? Also, someone who describes their mind as being "on" 24/7 is describing symptoms of mania which, at times, can make you feel euphoric, energized, creative, funny and the life of the party. You're probably also anxious and irritable at times but we have a tendency to forget the feelings we don't like. Problem is that every manic episode is eventually followed by the dangerous crash which changes the distorted thinking from "positive" to "negative" - this is the time that is most dangerous for those of us with mood disorders. Also, it's an absolute bummer when you're feeling the good kind of mania (known as hypomania) and all of those good, creative feelings stop when you take your meds (it's the #1 reason for BPs going off their meds and it happens all of the time) but again, what goes up will ALWAYS come down - and it can come down hard. Have you ever thought of suicide during these dark times and if yes, do you think your kids would rather have a mum who is around regardless of whether she is fun or not?

I do hate being a 'problem' to my family & feeling like a failure for not 'getting it right' but have always held the belief that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE in this world will have a natural answer that can work for me & my son.
Its just finding it thats the tricky part.....

To my way of thinking, "failure" is a relative term and when biology deals you a bad hand of cards, that is NOT failure on your part because we're not talking about getting it out of your system by having a good cry or by pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. We're talking about chemicals in your brain that are deficient or connections in your brain that are not supplying chemicals to the correct areas - not a personal choice to be sad or lazy. Biology has cheated you - it stinks and you have to deal with it because burying your head in the sand just doesn't work. I, too, continue to search for natural remedies and have devoted myself to finding one before I die but the future is uncertain. I have tried everything - both pharma made and nature made (including the rolled kind which made me extremely paranoid and panicky - don't fool yourself because it's a drug just like any other) and for me, it still comes down to a cocktail of pharma plus daily meditation and weekly or biweekly cognitive therapy when finances are tight. If I should ever come upon a purely natural treatment, believe me, I will broadcast it from the highest mountaintop so that we all, including our children (my son has also inherited my disorder) can finally live in peace. In the meantime, I will do whatever is necessary to remain around for my children. I can deal with the brain zaps, the fuzzy thinking, the dry mouth, etc. if it means that I'm sitting in the audience for my daughter's choir concert or helping my son move into his first apartment and helping him find the support he needs to live an independent life. Again, the alternative is just not acceptable. From my perspective, I would be a failure if I let them down and wasn't around for those times in their lives.

Hopefully this site will ,if not giving me the answers, can point me in some directions I've not yet explored.
Best wishes & kindness to you all.x

I would be more than happy to share with you what my own current regiment consists of. If you want to chat, please feel free to U2U me. God bless and know that you are not alone. And just for the record for some of the early posters, I do not now, nor have I ever worked in any industry related to pharmaceuticals or healthcare. I am an unbiased survivor of a terrible mental disorder who struggles every day to make the best life I possibly can for myself and my family. Whether the drugs made my disorder better or worse became a moot point the day my first child was born. As of today, there are no other proven long-term treatments than those stated above. Everyone has the right to voice their anger and resentment at big firm pharma for perceived trickery and I'm no exception to feeling that same bitterness at times, but as I said before, it is what it is for many of us. I only ask that society has a little more compassion for those of us stuck on this circus wheel through no fault of our own. We didn't choose it and are doing the best we can. For me, I focus on my kids and then the options just fade away and I know what I have to do. Until the day comes when the cycle is broken, I will continue to fight for my life and help others for whom my own experiences might provide a little bit of solace. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you wish, Jewells.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

You would be incorrect I'm not describing mania at least for myself. Until your post I didn't know about mania. My medical issue stems from prior damage done and has resulting in mis firings in the brain. Even in sleep my brain was on. How do I know all this from numerous tests EEG, Contrast MRI etc. The EEG measures and records electrical activity and the contrast MRI was done to look for aneurysms, tumors and the damaged area of my brain.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
one step closer to living in a real version of the movie equilibrium..!!

Keep your mood altering drugs thankyou very much

And i will go about my life happy, sad, pissed off, joyous and whatever other feelings i may have without the help of drugs..!!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by finitydream

You would be incorrect I'm not describing mania at least for myself. Until your post I didn't know about mania. My medical issue stems from prior damage done and has resulting in mis firings in the brain. Even in sleep my brain was on. How do I know all this from numerous tests EEG, Contrast MRI etc. The EEG measures and records electrical activity and the contrast MRI was done to look for aneurysms, tumors and the damaged area of my brain.

[

Sorry for the ambiguity as I was commenting to Jewells who had said at one point that she could relate to not being able to turn her brain off; I merely used "24/7" because it's part of my common vernacular and universally understood. I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to render any opinions or advice relate to your situation without being asked to do so and I apologize if you were offended by my comments. They were specifically directed to Jewells who had asked for advice from her fellow posters.

Timidgal

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

No problem, I re-read what I wrote and it was kinda witchy, my appologies

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Just wanted to add some 'food for thought' concerning mind altering medications.

Most people are unaware of the fact that mind controlling parasites can and do infect human beings- and modern day psyche drugs can help treat the parasitic infections.

www.newscientist.com...

Parasites can shape entire cultures, not just individuals.

seedmagazine.com...

Wormwood, anise star- effective anti-parasitic herbs- probably most recognized in the outlawed drink absinthe, which led to some reported cases of illness, coma and even death. Makes you wonder what was driving the bus, doesn't it?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join