It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comedy...what's the big deal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Why not...if you're trying to cheer him up...the joke will probably not go over well, but that's not the point. I'd prefer an awkward joke, then false slimy sympathy.
Yeah...go to sleep...
edit on 24-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
A stable and emotionally balanced person can handle a joke anytime. At the very least they will appreciate the comics attempt to make them smile. Emotionally unbalanced people usually can't go too deep into what they are hearing. They hear what they want to and interpret how they see fit. Basically emotions blind unbalanced people.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScRuFFy63
A stable and emotionally balanced person can handle a joke anytime. At the very least they will appreciate the comics attempt to make them smile. Emotionally unbalanced people usually can't go too deep into what they are hearing. They hear what they want to and interpret how they see fit. Basically emotions blind unbalanced people.

Yes...and that emotional instability stems from an old, yet relevant belief-system: religion...the whacky, arrogant idea and perception most ppl have that we're not part of nature. That we're something special and evolved and nature's rules don't apply to us and when someone holds the reality mirror up of how messed up we actually are and that instincts still govern our behaviour...they freak out, or get offended. Cause ppl don't want to hear that soldiers don't jump around on a battlefield to protect their freedom, or some other noble cause, but to kill people...for example.

+ If you ignore reality you'll won't have to do anything about it...responsibility.
edit on 24-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dude69
Comedy is an interesting subject, since it's the only artform that is frowned, or looked down upon as banal, or inappriopriate and the only artform people fairly regularly take offense to for some reason.

I don't think comedy is the only art form that is frowned upon. I recall many art displays that cause the world to sit up and take notice, even if most of it was negative attention. Remember Piss Christ? There are many such displays. I think the purpose of such blatantly "offensive" displays is to get people talking about them.

But I do agree - many people find being offended by comedy is fairly easy to do. Especially if it hits a personal nerve. But like other art, beauty (or comedy) is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder (or listener). I don't take offense easily. Even jokes at my expense, I usually just laugh off, even if it does sting a little. I may not find something funny, but taking offense is a waste of energy to me. My theory about taking offense is in my signature.

And for the comedy portion of this post...
we were playing Taboo last night with some friends. The idea is that one person gives clues to get the others to guess the 'target word', which was "Tickle". The clue he gave was "Blank me, Elmo". My husband and I both immediately shouted out a very inappropriate word as our 'guess'.
Our senses of humor are so alike!

Interesting subject!

edit on 4/24/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join