It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian forces raid homes to quell protests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Syrian forces raid homes to quell protests

Secret police raided homes near Damascus overnight, rights campaigners said , as popular opposition to President Bashar al Assad mounted following the bloodiest attacks on pro-democracy protesters.

Security operatives in plain clothes wielding assault rifles broke into homes in the suburb of Harasta just after midnight on Sunday, arresting activists in the area, known as the Ghouta, or the old garden district of the capital.

Security forces and gunmen loyal to Assad killed at least 112 people in the last two days when they fired at protests demanding political freedoms and an end to corruption on Friday and on mass funerals for victims a day later.

Two Syrian legislators resigned their posts in parliament as outrage grows over the security force's ongoing crackdown on anti-government protests.

"Two MPs resign amid reported deaths of 15 people as outrage at government's response to pro-democracy protests spreads."

For those of you who have been following his developing story will know that there wasn't much movement from within their Government on this issue, Now however there are not one but two PM members resigning over the abusive reaction.

Stay tuned this will only get worse before it gets better.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Syrian security forces shoot at mourners

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Hey Slayer. Do you think that this makes the fat cats in congrees nervous. If not them, what about our defense dept? I would think that the smell of an uprising would make any government nervous. Thats just me I am paranoid anyways. What do you think?

So much uprising going on,........it seems to be in the air.(or water).

Sorry not to be a serious contributor. I just have that one question.

The easter bunny is getting tired.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Ho-ho-ho! Merr-. . . . oops, wrong holliday. Just got done with the Easter festivities.

Just to note, I thought I saw that the Syrian president resigned.
Another note, like the Egyptian protests, I'm curious to see the outcome. Good, worse? Who's going to replace Assad? Someone better, or another dictator?

The mind boggles.

ETA: It was the Yeman president. Damn these bloddy mary's!
edit on 24-4-2011 by beezzer because: because I was wrong

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
This is actually no surprise to me. TPTB are doing everything they can to install governments in Arab countries that will forgo the relative peace in the region that has lasted since the last big Israeli/Arab war, in favor of more radical Muslim governments.

I'm afraid that this will backfire though, because all it will do is back Israel into a corner. If all of these new Arab/Muslim governments decide to attack Israel - and they will - Israel may have no choice but to use some of their nuclear weapons.

This is called the Gog/Magog war, and it was prophesied in the Bible, along with the utter annihilation of Damascus, which was mentioned by name.The board is being set up, and the game is about to commence.

S&F Homie.

It's late though Slayer and I have a Sunrise Service to go to in a few hours. I'll be back tomorrow to contribute more.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!
edit on 4/24/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Stared mate..
I've been calling it a self fulfilling prophecy for ages..

Though I don't know if God will see it that way..

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Apparently its too much for some people to believe that arabs could stage an uprising and overthrow a government, or pressure it very hard as is the case in Syria...

Conspiracies everywhere... Mosaad under every rock, Hamas being run by Mosaad... I bet even relative quiet and calm is a conspiracy of the NWO.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Apparently its too much for some people to believe that arabs could stage an uprising and overthrow a government, or pressure it very hard as is the case in Syria...

Conspiracies everywhere... Mosaad under every rock, Hamas being run by Mosaad... I bet even relative quiet and calm is a conspiracy of the NWO.

What? Are you saying foreign Governments don't interfere in other countries politics??
They have NEVER conspired to change another countries leaders ???

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You know I recall a bunch of college students over in Iran rising up and ousting a Government they deemed corrupt back in 1979. Admittedly they weren't Arab but yes, people in the Middle East can think for themselves and rise up...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Of course not.. but your attempt to undermine any and all uprisigings / government protests from the middle east gets old. Your insinuation from your comments is that the people in those countries cannot do anything for themselves, and must rely on outsiders to make any headway.

Since there is no evidence of outside interference in the op material, its nothing but your opinion that other governments are involved.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

What? Are you saying foreign Governments don't interfere in other countries politics??
They have NEVER conspired to change another countries leaders ???

Foreign involvement is something to consider but its importance is secondary to what the people actually want. You can give them a nudge, but you can’t force a revolution unless a good proportion of the population would support you.

Think of it as a tug-of-war - you might be a strong guy with a good team but if there are many more people on the other side then you’ve got your work cut out, especially considering that the host nation and their allies aren't going to sit back and let the country become a playground for (hostile) foreign assets.

Foreign countries are most definitely involved in Syria but many people on ATS don’t tend to look at it as “foreign involvement” and try and work out who is involved on both sides and why (if it isn't obvious), they immediately blame Western countries and Israel as if no-one else would dare have interests and goals of their own. Every country claims to support freedom but in reality, they are all cherry-picking their fights.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Thank you for saying what I was struggeling to say... and thank you for making it much more civil than I would have.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

You can't blame him there is a long list of foreign governments which have been overthrown with the backing of outside entities- mainly the U.S or with direct military intervention.
There is alsways a strange pattern. When foreign regimes are overthrown, it seems as if in a specific region they are all done so within a short time of eachother.
-Guatemala - 1954
-Chile - 1973
-Brazil - 1964
-Argentina - 1976

Now take what is happening in the Middle East
-Afghanistan
-Iraq
Who's next?
The only major differences I can note between Latin America and the Middle East is that the Middle East happens to have some really rotten rulers being overthrown currently, where as Latin America had some really great leaders overthrown.
How ever the similarities are all there too.
- Being a relatively closed off market
- Playing hard-ball with multi-naitonals
- Vast amounts of resources ready to be exploited
- Many public entities ready to be privatized.
All I'm saying is you can't blame backinblack for being suspicous. However it is my belief that Assad is truly an awful leader.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
England and Australia advising its citizens to leave Syria ASAP.

The British Foreign Office on Sunday advised all British nationals to leave Syria amid the continuing unrest in the country.

www.monstersandcritics.com...

Thanks to the DoD Star and Flagging software .......

Here's your flag and star.

edit on 24-4-2011 by jam321 because: fix

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

I am not blaming back.. What I am suggesting though is sometimes people are to quick to blame a conspiracy. To suggest uprisings in the MIddle East are somehow the result of the US is insulting to the people in the uprisings. To suggest they need the support of the US to protest is also insulting.

Why is it so hard to belive that the majority of the people in some of these countries want something different than what they have now?

I am saying that we should not be to quick to dimiss things.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

In my view it was just waiting to happen, it just needed a trigger... you'll note that most of the places where the uprisings happen are places where you have a minority that's ruling over a majority, and that there are multiple ethnic groups/tribes/religious sects...

Basically, each point in the ME that has unrest has those problems, and each place that doesn't is pretty quiet (look at some of the gulf emirates, those that are quiet or comprised of a single tribe...) as Speach and I discussed in another thread, the entire area is shifting (after 80 years or so of "artificial" countries) back into ethnic group divisions... Hopefully, each group would have their own little place to call home (not the least of these are the Kurds who were screwed over by almost everyone in the region: Syrian, Turks and Iraqis... and also in Iran I think)...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

reply to post by SpeachM1litant

I am not blaming back.. What I am suggesting though is sometimes people are to quick to blame a conspiracy. To suggest uprisings in the MIddle East are somehow the result of the US is insulting to the people in the uprisings. To suggest they need the support of the US to protest is also insulting.
Why is it so hard to belive that the majority of the people in some of these countries want something different than what they have now?
I am saying that we should not be to quick to dimiss things.

Can't blame me for being suspicious when Bush had the hit list written even before 9/11..
You write a list, you usually intend to go shopping.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

This is where your argument loses credibility... Blame Bush all you want, but he is no longer in office, and has nothing to do with the uprising that just recently started.

Being suspicious is fine, but like I said, conspiracies in everything.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

This is where your argument loses credibility... Blame Bush all you want, but he is no longer in office, and has nothing to do with the uprising that just recently started.

Being suspicious is fine, but like I said, conspiracies in everything.

LMAO, me lose credibility??
Mate Bush didn't write the list..
The same military is in place and lets face it, Obama hasn't changed a thing..
In fact Libya was on the list..

If you think who is President makes an iota of difference then it's your credibility I'd worry about..
edit on 24-4-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Mate Bush didn't write the list..

Uhm, ok

Can't blame me for being suspicious when Bush had the hit list written even before 9/11..
You write a list, you usually intend to go shopping.

You just got done saying Bush had the list written even before 9/11.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join