It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awe Inspiring Giant Ant Hill Excavated

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a part of me finds it interesting and amazing seeing how a anthill is constructed.

the other part knows this is why the world is a mess, destruction of nature and the surronding area just for the sake of finding out what is behind that door with no thoughts for the effects it could have on the earth. o.k. this is just an ant hill and a small area, but it sums up the problem with humans 100%.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I hate bugs but scientists doing this killed billions of ants and destroyed a wonder that most likely took years to build, in order to satisfy their curiosity.

Doesn't seem right. IMO

I agree whole-heartedly.

Let's just hope that there isn't an alien race or civilization out there that has the ability to somehow make a cast of an entire human metropolis, just to see what makes it tick, and then decides to do so for their own 'advancement'.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Sura XXVII — The Ant

Till they reached the Valley of Ants. Said AN ANT, "O ye ants, enter your dwellings, lest Solomon and his army crush you and know it not."

Then smiled Solomon, laughing at her words, and he said, "Stir me up, O Lord, to be thankful for thy favour which thou hast shewed upon me and upon my parents, and to do righteousness that shall be well pleasing to thee, and bring me in, by thy mercy, among thy servants the righteous."

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Wow... that is amazing, the only way we could express outselves was to fill it up with cement!
Why not just use a #in' sonar gun?

Jamie.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
A very neat video, the complexity is amazing.
I t would be interesting to know how long it takes the ants to build that structure?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
A very neat video, the complexity is amazing.
I t would be interesting to know how long it takes the ants to build that structure?

Probably not long... I would imagine if given the right amount of numbers they could shift anything!

Jamie.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Fascinating yes...

But given what was uncovered, and the complexity of it, and the size of it - did we witness a genocide as they were pouring the cement into the structure?

Complex structures require complex intelligence.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

HOLY MOLY FRIJOLE!!!
That is truly amazing...
and also kinda gross because I can't help but imagine the gazillions of ants inhabiting that beastly fort...gives me that creepy crawly-heebie jeebie feeling EEK!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I love Ants and this is an amazing new find! I definetly feel we should study our world and the other inhabitants in it more then we do to unlock some of the possiblities we may not have thought of yet within ourselves! Great Find OP!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

astonishing.
is there some sort of site protection to preserve this as a natural world wonder? like the world heritage sites for humans?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

if you found the previous clip interesting, and are an insect lover, here is a full documentary on ants

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Awesome!

Thank you for sharing.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I am in awe.....ants,as annoying as they may be,are amazing and never fail to amaze me with their behaviour.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Exactly. The stupid bi-pedal apes go in and kill an intelligent organism because they want to play little boy archeologists. Thanks for the extinction, you fools. This, unfortunately, simply illustrates what males do for their own entertainment (and then call it science). It points out why they are very much unfit for leadership - we need those who demonstrate empathic connections to the earth and all living things as our examples - not this mindless idiocy. My jaw just dropped at the appalling murder they committed. Sick minds do sick things.

Hope they get 10 tons of cement forced into their homes by some higher organism who wants to excavate their dwelling.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Please tell me that was an abandoned anthill...?
If not, then:

Did they have to kill millions (or more?) of ants just to be able to visualise what we already knew (the only new piece of information for this layman was that they had seperate areas for refuse)?? I'm no scientist but even I already knew that ants routinely build societies as complex as this; that they employ systems of agriculture and that they are highly skilled in organisation.
Besides, don't we now have technology that can image into the earth, so negating the need for such primitive and destructive practices?
I can only assume such new technology comes with a very high price tag.

Will this mass slaughter/knowledge of a whole ancient colony of successful entities cause humans to stop harming other, commonly perceived lesser, forms of life? Or prevent a person stepping on the next ant they see, now they have been 'enlightened' towards the fact that humans are not the sole owners of advanced, structured societies, ergo deserving of some level of 'respect'?
I truly, sadly, doubt it.
So what was the point, really?

I have to contemplate the idea that, to a possible higher race of being than ourselves, perhaps we are as ants.
Do we deserve anything better than for them to kill so many of us in similar fashion, simply as a means of 'examining' our systems and methods for themselves?
Would we have a right to complain if such a thing were ever to occur, or be found to have?

Some, perhaps rightly, would consider it "Just deserts" for a race of beings so self absorbed as to consider themselves aloof from all other life via nothing more than their misguided perceptions of the experience that is our relative existence.

By no fault of the original poster (Sugarcookie1), all I see is the mass slaughter of a whole society of living, relatively supremely advanced and intelligent creatures, to sate nothing more than the curiosity of a few human animals who clearly have absolutely no fundamental understanding [of right and wrong], when it comes to the abuse of living entities for desire alone.

Or did they perhaps evict and relocate that whole society before filling their streets, homes and workplaces with death-dealing cement that would surely doom that whole structured, advanced society to a horrendous death?

Ah, but they're just ants...

reply to post by starwisdom

This, unfortunately, simply illustrates what males do for their own entertainment

I'm male.
It's humans collectively that are to blame, not just men, thankyouverymuch!

edit on 24-4-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
Great find, thank you.

Now only if we could get a human collective in this day and age to do something just as positive, we might be able to save ourselves.

Ants can do this but we can't ? And we say we're evolved.

We have evolved the will NOT to do it. These insects are hardwired to do a job. We, as humans, can make ourselves button pushers, existentialist thinkers, or miners and ditch diggers. There have been times in the not so distant past that a large percentage of people were manual laborers. Heck, that probobly still stands today, if you look at the entire worlds population, not JUST America and Eastern Europe.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I also don't agree with the killing of all those ants for simple curiousety, but still a very interesting post!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
Poor ants!

They worked hard at building this amazing city just to have some smelly giants fill it with cement.

ALS

The queen ant moved on or had died so all that was in the nest was a few stray ants the rest moved on to find a new queen they did this for science and i think it was a great idea to see the working of the ants and how they lived..thanks for the reply!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryOne
Not quite sure if this belongs in the Cryptozoology section; interesting stuff nonetheless.

..........Oh, uh - "second line".

well a mod looked at the thread so i guess it belongs here i didnt know were to post it the looked like the best place..thanks for the reply

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
a part of me finds it interesting and amazing seeing how a anthill is constructed.

the other part knows this is why the world is a mess, destruction of nature and the surronding area just for the sake of finding out what is behind that door with no thoughts for the effects it could have on the earth. o.k. this is just an ant hill and a small area, but it sums up the problem with humans 100%.

I found it amazing also but i didnt see destruction of nature in this we found out alot about how the ants lived for science and the hive was empty we do just as much damage everytime we build a home or dig a sewer line..thanks for your reply

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join