It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas police arrest reporters for filming an accident.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
www.ebaumsworld.com...-12907133

I imagine in a few years all cops will be as aggressive as this one. He seems to be getting a power trip high as he arrests these two guys for doing their jobs. It is SICK that we can not do a thing about it.. I mean if a cop beats your ass nothing happens but if he is beating you and you "resist" or try to defend yourself.. 5+ more years in jail for you.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What a complete goon! This is an embarrassment to police everywhere. Sadly, these guys always seem to get off with a little slap on the wrist and a tisk tisk from the powers that be.

We had a case like this recently in Canada where a cop was caught on camera beating on a person who was arrested. He lied and tried to say the guy attacked him. The camera showed otherwise. His punishment: tisk, tisk, don't do it again.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

Let us make better use of cameras such as in this instance.

They want to know our every move, let us do likewise.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
We're only victims if we keep letting them do what they're doing.

Wonder how long (if ever) people will stop being sheep.
edit on 23-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
And police officers wonder why there are now roving bands of "vigilantes" with video cameras watching everything they do. "Contempt of Cop" is a recognized phenomenon which is being fueled by the increasing number of video cameras that record officers abusing their authority, and in the worst cases, abusing the people they are sworn to protect.

This particular officer, a supervisor with 19 years experience - and 12 internal affairs disciplinary actions - went WAY overboard. It is common practice for news crews to film accident scenes, and they have every right to film anything which is in pubic view. This Sgt. Ramirez was overreacting to a presumed questioning of his authority when the reporter told his cameraman to keep rolling after Ramirez told him to stop.

I did a little searching on this, and came up with these two, very detailed links:

newspapertree.com...
newspapertree.com...

Police officers have a largely thankless job. They risk their lives every single day in service to their community, and I'm quite sure that the vast majority of them perform their duty with honor. That being said, there are some officers who are on a power trip, and when their abuse of power is covered up by their peers and/or supervisors, it only serves to cast blame on law enforcement as a whole.

A simple Youtube search will reveal a HOST of similar videos in which officers - unaware they are being recorded - act like nothing more than animals marking their territory. The most egregious example I have ever seen (maybe not THE most egregious, but personally the most disturbing considering the victim) is in the following video. It depicts an elderly woman with Alzheimers, who must weigh 80lbs soaking wet, being body slammed by a female (yes I'm going to say it) PIG. *GRAPHIC LANGUAGE WARNING*

Yes, that IS a pool of blood under her head from where the PIG had cracked the lady's skull. She also suffered a broken hand after the PIG removed the knife in a none too gentle manner.

It appears that the woman had been "trapped" in her car by a seatbelt she could not unfasten, and had used the steak knife she was carrying, which she found in the car's glove compartment, to cut herself free. IMO, the officer clearly overreacted to the situation. The poor old lady was confused and frightened, but at no time in the video did she ever make a threatening move towards the "officer." I have no idea if the "officer" was ever disciplined; but if I was her supervisor, I would do everything in my power to see that she never picked up a badge and gun again. She could have KILLED that old lady. Any THINKING police officer could have found a way to "disarm" the 84-year-old, 80lb great-grandmother without bodyslamming her to the concrete.

HERE is the closest thing I could find that explains what happened.

ETA: Had I been there, I most likely would have ended up in jail for a little "police brutality" of my own. No way in hell would I have let this go down without physically intervening.

edit on 4/23/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Thanks for your info. I find it revealing that the cop has numerous infractions, which, as cited in your link, are of the "not following the rules" variety. So he's a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of guy.

And, yeah, right now, the people are "video vigilantes", but what we're seeing is that, even caught red-handed, these types of thug cops are not be truly dealt with. There's an "investigation", a slap on the wrist, and on to the next incident. Pretty soon, I think the vigilantes will be armed with more than video cameras.

And I'm looking forward to it. The cops are supposed to WORK for us, not BEAT us. Elsewhere, I suggested that maybe there should be a national "Pop a Cop Day", where any of these thug cops that have been caught being dirty get a taste of their own medicine. I don't know if it would make things better or worse, but it sure would feel good dishing it out.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Police actions noted and recorded with appropriate horror. Would point out the injustice but would only be called a anti police 'hater'
I am also anti terrorist, anti violent gang and anti crimes against human dignity It seems from the videos that the police are perpetrating most of these offenses I see on you tube. I don't see many gangs caught on tape, nor do I see a great deal of terrorists.

From the simple numbers the most oppressive violent group in America seems to be the taxpayer paid police force who commit most of their violent oppressive acts on the taxpayers.
Maybe I'm wrong but If I had a security guard company who did nothing to stop crime but send out 'guards' armed to the teeth who they sent out beat up and robbed my employees and did nothing to keep the rest of the (criminals without the uniform) from stealing or vandalizing my property shouldn't I, as the contractor of the non performing uniformed service with questionable loyalty have the right to dismiss them from duty on my behalf?

Why should we lowly citizens be forced to support, obey and bow to those who serve themselves and their very high up masters who employ them, look the other way when they under color of their uniform choose to prey and abuse us, while we as a group fund them? * (Insert standard without police the citizens would take care of themselves just fine on their own if left unhindered to fend for themselves an armed society is a safe society (see Swiss crimes and happiness stats for validation of my viewpoint))

I'm sure that the LEOs can never and would never do any one harm bandwagon will jump on board.
However, how do you the average Joe drive around them just in case they have not met their quota- oh I'm sorry it is referred to this month as a 'performance goal' not quota, - in any case it is their target to raise revenue and a lot of it, from people who are just working (very hard and not getting paid much for it) While the knuckle calloused thugs wearing a gun most suited to a combat zone, a long reaching gas spray created to do nothing but cause pain to others, a lethal club, Kevlar vest and a tazer, yes of course we think armed like that when you pull us over your are of course concerned about 'our' safety.

Just what do you (average Joe/Jill) concentrate on when you see those lights ? the official with the combat armaments or driving safely? I will bet your attention is far more focused on the car with the driver with a quota and a gun than the other drivers or road conditions

They cause far far more damage than they prevent*. But why should you care all they do is take a lot of your hard earned money from you and in return give you average Joe...what? A 100 or so of them in uniform marching nicely at the rose parade once a is that worth the two parking tickets that were in front of your 'own' house and the rolling stop though a vacant intersection at 4:am? 1K of your money that 'you' worked very hard to earn because of some arbitrary statutes that keep no one any safer, however, line the coffers of the corrupt.

Yeah, that ten seconds of pretty picture on new years day more than makes up for the intimidation, humiliation and domestic terrorism they inflict on your the other 364 days and & 22 hours per year.

* they have convinced you to give up your own arms you have a right to under the constitution and in return do not do anything to protect your property from being stolen, nor you from being killed if either of them should happen they will send out a sullen, recalcitrant, smirking or mocking, person in uniform to take a report that will go into a dead file to never be retrieved or acted upon.

How many posters who did not do their own legwork or are not part of or related to the police force here have been burgerlised for less than 10K and had the police retrieve the property and return it to you.

No? Wouldn't you fire a security company who didn't act?

edit on 1-7-2011 by ..5.. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I think this should be thrown out of court.... There is precedence now.... Remember that woman who was arrested for filming a traffic stop in her own yard? That was thrown out because they determined she did nothing wrong....

This should be thrown out to. Cops, here is the deal, you film us with or with out our permission. Cities, you film us with your traffic cams and security cams with or with out our permission. We are civilians. So are cops.... Cops are not above us by any means.... They are subject to the same laws as we are....

If they can film us, we can film them... That is what common sense dictates.

Edit to add: Actually this is old video.... So my post is pretty much pointless. D:
edit on 1-7-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join