It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animated Avatar Backgrounds - Yes or No?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Okay, I am a tad confused. I had an animated background that I diligently worked to get under the required submission size for said image. I was still able to maintain both the animation as well as the size restriction.

It was passed down that animated backgrounds were no longer allowed so I reluctantly, but acceptedly adhered to the new rule. Then a few months went by and I saw people's avatars with animated backgrounds starting to emerge once again and I thought "hmmm maybe they went lax on the rule" so I reinserted the animated BG.

Very soon, like maybe a day, I was respectfully made aware again that animated avatar bg's were against the T&C's yet here again I am seeing them all over.

Can I please get clarification on this? More so, if it is within the constraints of the max size why can't one's bg be animated? If the reasoning is due to bandwidth and I am within the constraints, what is the issue?

Thank you in advance,
UberL33t
edit on 4/23/2011 by UberL33t because:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Animated backgrounds are not allowed. See here

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Ahab, I am happy to adhere to this rule. I have never been one to be a tattle tale but this rule, is not enforced. Perhaps a sweep is due, because this rule is not being adhered to my friend. Not to be a stickler, but should we as upstanding members be reporting these to staff?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

You've just earned a special hall monitor badge!

Congratulations.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Any violations of the T&C should be alerted to staff so that we can review them. That doesn't always mean that it will be a T&C infraction that will be actioned, but the animated avatar is not allowed, and yes please send me a PM or file a complaint and staff will deal with it.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Duly noted, but I just replied in the thread Ahab posted regarding this rule. All i am really seeking is clarification. i am sure once it is explained I will be more than happy to accept it. Not my attempt to make a big deal about this, but my moving space bg was freakin' cool man.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I think it's a page/server load issue in all honesty, but I'm not exactly sure.

Something about animated backgrounds causing issues with loading pages or slowing them down...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Then to me that would seem like a bandwidth thing, just on the surface. I am pretty versed in this arena, but I am not familiar enough with ATS's coding to say that with the utmost assurance. I would think that as long as an image maintained the max size requirements, the page loading would not be affected.

A non-animated image that is the same size as an animated one, as far as I am aware, does not differ when it comes to page loading. But again, this is ATS coding so I could be wrong entirely.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Hmm, your right about that..

Let me reach out to admin and see if I can get a more clear answer..

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Thank you

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Animated avatars are allowed as long as they're not too big. Animated backgrounds, however, are not allowed.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

That's been established, why?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Here's a tip.

If animated gif's bother you, pressing ESC will stop the animation.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

No I want it animated...specifically this one...I worked hard to get it under the 75k max and still have the same affect. I fail to see the issue as it has yet to be clarified...Square one we are at.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Correct! It's not allowed

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I was just stating for the benefit of anyone, like me, who doesn't particularly enjoy animated gifs as avatars. Most people aren't aware that you can stop it from animating.

Yours seems to be disallowed because the background is animated, not the avatar.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

So again, square one, I again ask...respectfully...why it is not allowed? Again, not trying to make this such an ordeal. I am sure there is a valid reason to the rule, my mere request of being made privy to the reason is not asking too much of the staff is it?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Animated backgrounds are not allowed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join