It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA releases 29 messages from space?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnthejedi24
Is there someway someone can make a new post or topic or edit the first post saying that this is just an exercise for NSA cryptographers and has nothing to do with disclosure?

IT IS NOT A REAL MESSAGE PEOPLE....

Unfortunately I can't go back and edit the title... if its possible, I'm not aware of how to do it. Did you report this thread? If not, typing in caps and getting annoyed is pointless.

*** General Message: If you don't alert mods to redundant threads to get them closed, you can't get mad that they remain open and continue to receive replies, help the mods do their job. That's like freaking out over a burning house but refusing to call the fire department. ***

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
We had Amiga 500s. Demos we made under the name Beyond Logic. Your story sounds too similar to one I know. Enjoyed hearing it actually. Those were the good old days.

reply to post by maestromason

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quasar_La-Zar

but what would be the point, in drilling to the core of a planet, which would surely take some time, as opposed to just flying to any other solar system, and finding a "virgin" planet?

If you would form an observation post, you could just go on any asteroid.. or just stay in your ship which would be better anyways.. right?

Well, the first thing you need to understand is that they are alien...so you must think like an alien

which is impossible, considering its all alien..might as well think of poems a cricket would think about..

but I digress and will speak only about the tech involved, which I can possibly consider.

Creating a BIGASS hole near the mantle would be very difficult for us, however, it may be as simple as sending a swarm of bots to hollow out to perfection in a matter of hours, to potentially include housing, running water, and a vast network of tubes all around the planet (theoretically, a swarm of nanobots could eat the entire planet in a few hours if desired through endless replication).

So, the time thing wouldn't be a factor for a highly advanced race...nor would materials beyond just simple matter

So, the question really is why...well, we go back to the alien thinking once again...who knows why it would be done, hell, why do we consider making underwater cities? because of the general coolness factor along with it being environmentally neutral impactwise.

One day, we may have this tech, and underground cities and even nations will be commonplace on our planet along with our neighbors...

There are many -many- advantages of having cities deep underground, from not worrying about meteors smashing, to having no concern about massive solar flares destroying your picnics, to handy resources available at any given time (the buildings are already there, you just need to remove the excess rock around them)

I think this is going off topic, but then again, the topic is pretty debunked now, so might as well just speculate a bit until it runs its course

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Watts

we already have too many threads...

a simple ATS search would have revealed these have been on ATS before, and recently!

they are a HOAX...

ok?

seeya

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneR
they are a HOAX...

Not a hoax, as they do exist and are from the NSA..

they are just training exercises...hoaxes implies it was faked and put there to mislead people.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

and what is happening right now...???
they are misleading people!

it is DIS- information...aka HOAX!

seeya

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
The document was released to the public 2004, it is not classified and even says "UNCLASSIFIED", pay more attention.

The point being - at one point the document was CLASSIFIED, thus if not - it would have NEVER been UNCLASSIFIED - understand?

People are paying attention, people know it is UNCLASSIFIED. To UNCLASSIFY something would mean to REMOVE it from being CLASSIFIED.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Watts

we already have too many threads...

a simple ATS search would have revealed these have been on ATS before, and recently!

they are a HOAX...

ok?

seeya

How ironic of you to tell me to do a search without even reading through the thread to see how many times I've apologized for re-hashing material already covered... A simple read would have let you know your post is more redundant than this thread. Ok? seeya

edit on 23-4-2011 by Watts because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
What on earth will make you think that you can ever decipher an alien language?

Seriously. The amount of difference between Chinese and Latin-based languages is so freakin enormous that we can't even translate modern texts right.

Huh?? Who is the "we"? There exists quite a few people who can very precisely translate Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese or Classical along with their many dialects and other mutually-unintelligible languages spoken in China) into any modern or dead (but well understood) language you'd like - and no, no one person could likely perform all permutations of these translations. I myself have no trouble translating Mandarin (specifically 普通话 / 国语) to English or vice-versa. All that is required is a suitable grasp of both languages and of the cultural aspects (idioms, allegories, metaphors, etc) embedded within the sample to be translated. Yeah, some idioms still are hard for me - but there certainly exists experts who aren't tripped up.

I realize that there are times where one might doubt this. The ever present "chinglish" or "engrish" examples found on signs, product labels and documentation, etc. shows how hard it is for someone not knowing a lot about both languages to produce a good translation. And it shows how hard it is for automated systems to render good translations over a broad range of samples.

Now, to translate a language you know nothing about is tricky at best. Lacking any knowledge of the culture or even the nature of the creature using it or of the environment in which that creature lives makes it practically impossible. There are examples of dead languages used by human cultures here on earth that have so far resisted our understanding. And these are relatively easy.

But, suppose the message was specifically crafted by an intelligent being with the INTENT that it be understandable to any sufficiently advanced culture. That kind of message would necessarily be based on simple (at first) encodings of universal principles (math, physics, etc) and completely free of cultural or environmental biases. Such a message could be decoded with effort and could be used to build up a synthetic language used to encode nearly any manner of subject.

This EXERCISE by the NSA seems to be an example of identifying and decoding such a message. I doubt it is more than that.

This particular exercise does seem to ignore the issue of message transport encoding suitable for broadcasting (directed or not) a message where its integrity must be be maintained over interstellar distances where even tightly collimated coherent beams would diverge substantially to cause power at the receiver to be relatively low and yet still detectable and able to carry information in the presence of all manner of noise and signal attenuating conditions.

Consider how little power even a 1 gigawatt transmitter could deliver to a 100 meter disk even when its beam is constrained to only the area covered by orbits of the terrestrial planets (radius of about 250,000km) of our solar system - that's about 0.5 microwatts if I did my math right. That, I believe, would be an amazingly (impossibly?) narrow beam, assuming interstellar distances, sent by someone who already knows or suspects our star holds at least one planet inhabited with an advanced civilization. More likely the beam would be very broad or would be an omnidirectional broadcast so the transmitter would have to be ridiculously powerful to produce a few picowatts worth of signal at even a very large receiver more than a handful of lightyears away. Not impossible, but not trivial. Obviously SETI folks think this is feasible.

This encoding (in frequency, modulation and information encoding) would also have to be devised in a way that is discoverable and robust (with sufficient redundancy) but is suitable for carrying useful amounts of information. And it has to work with no requirement for the receiver to ask "can you repeat that". I am sure this too is readily solvable by the suitably trained and capable mathematicians, scientists and engineers we have today. Further, I assume any other truly advanced culture capable of having the intent to and of building the means to send such a message could do this as well.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

seeya

Who is they?
NSA, or the people pointing to it and making threads?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kroms33

Originally posted by ADVISOR
The document was released to the public 2004, it is not classified and even says "UNCLASSIFIED", pay more attention.

The point being - at one point the document was CLASSIFIED, thus if not - it would have NEVER been UNCLASSIFIED - understand?

People are paying attention, people know it is UNCLASSIFIED. To UNCLASSIFY something would mean to REMOVE it from being CLASSIFIED.

Ahh, thats where linguistics gets wonky

When things are classified, then removed from classiciation, it is DEclassified
Unclassified means it was made and never actually got any degree of classification to begin with

like, a unclassified species of fish did not fall off the trout list, it means it has yet to be assigned to a species...

It is understandable how it is confusing...when you untie a shoe, it was once tied..however, a untied shoe doesn't mean it was once tied...welcome to english language wonkyness

but ya, unclassified never merited any classification. declassified means it once was.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

seeya

Who is they?

hey hey hey... I've said it over and over now that the original post in this thread is re-hashed material AND apologized. THE TOPIC TITLE IS EVEN POSED AS A QUESTION, NOT DICTATED AS A FACT.

If anyone is mislead at this point, its because they chose to post without reading ANYTHING beyond the title. In which case, natural selection takes over and I feel no guilt.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watts

seeya

Who is they?

hey hey hey... I've said it over and over now that the original post in this thread is re-hashed material AND apologized. THE TOPIC TITLE IS EVEN POSED AS A QUESTION, NOT DICTATED AS A FACT.

If anyone is mislead at this point, its because they chose to post without reading ANYTHING beyond the title. In which case, natural selection takes over and I feel no guilt.

Naa, not slamming you, I know this thread is already proven for what it is and you simply brought it up.
was being more general..who is hoaxing overall...threadmakers and conspiracy theorists to muddy the waters, or the nsa releasing documents that can be viewed out of context overall.

Both could be an answer...

I am working my way through the old series again "Taken"..and most of the disinfo they put out there is quite cleverly done...shoving tons and tons of agents to claim all sorts of nutty things to bury the truth under a giant pile of elegant horsecrap...so ya, anyone posting anything on ATS, using the example of the taken series, is suspect by those rules.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watts

seeya

Who is they?

Naa, not slamming you, I know this thread is already proven for what it is and you simply brought it up.
was being more general..who is hoaxing overall...threadmakers and conspiracy theorists to muddy the waters, or the nsa releasing documents that can be viewed out of context overall.

Both could be an answer...

I am working my way through the old series again "Taken"..and most of the disinfo they put out there is quite cleverly done...shoving tons and tons of agents to claim all sorts of nutty things to bury the truth under a giant pile of elegant horsecrap...so ya, anyone posting anything on ATS, using the example of the taken series, is suspect by those rules.

ok.. sowee :3

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

God. A conspiracy around the conspiracy!

This site is really pushing it. Even the phyciatrists would lose sanity with this one.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
well, i have sent copies to cbs news. lets see what happens.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Can someone please tell me why this is apparently new information. The PDF clearly shows that the papers were authorized for release by the NSA almost 7 years ago. This seems to be an old topic previously discussed and either debunked or swept under the rug.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
Can someone please tell me why this is apparently new information. The PDF clearly shows that the papers were authorized for release by the NSA almost 7 years ago. This seems to be an old topic previously discussed and either debunked or swept under the rug.

I declare your avatar to be sarcastic in nature.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Watts

Well i will believe that when i see it on the official news.I do not think it will be anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
so im new to this site but found an interesting video and im not allowed to post a new topic yet but wanted to share this with someone so maybe they can start a new thread with it. anyway its supposedly the virgin mary being seen in africa in the sun. problem is i cant see it but alot of people say they can. heres the video link and sorry for posting this in an unrelated topic just thought it was interesting

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join