It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony Makes it Official: PlayStation Network Hacked

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Something is definitely up. What it's been 5 days and counting with the ps network down. But I ain't complaining to much, though it feels weird playing games in offline modes. So if it was anonymous or whatever else, I really cant complain for something that is a free service, sure it's not as good as the x box, but it gets the job done and then some, considering that I don't spend as much time on games as I used to it works out fine by me.

Though they are slowly trying to make you pay for some stuff, like with the PlayStation premium thing they added, so if after the "update" I find out It's become like the x box monthly pay thing for even a basic service, that will most definitely be totally not cool, that was one of the reason I never bought another x box, after it broke down for about the 5 time, because I only play a couple of games and don't spend as much time online in there network as I used to, so the monthly fee was just a waste of money, for something I used once in a while. Though I wouldn't care all that much if they added something like the x box online service with all it's spiffy features, as long as it's an option, not something that is mandatory.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Doesn't matter if the service is free or not, because it would still not be working either way so that argument is void... If it was someone who hacked the system I would personally love to meet him and knock all his teeth out!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

I haven't been on the PSN in about a week and a half. Are they actually going to start charging for monthly online play?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

really? try telling that to the people who paid to play DC universe but cannot. try telling that to anybody who bought a PS3 game which is online only.

regardless they promote the free online service as a sales tool, therefore they are promising something so you buy the product which is not currently being provided, people are not getting what they paid for. why did i go with SONY'S PS3 over microsofts x box?

it does not matter that it's free, it is a service playstation provide and is preventing people from using their products they bought to their fullest potential and in some cases at all.

if people suddenly lost all the free t.v. channels on their cable boxes i am sure there would be complaining to.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
No psn will never make you pay, only for plus as an option..... The only people he's really hurting are the little guys like me and the other millions of gamers out there, he should feel real proud of himself.... I guess if someone hacked into you cable box or satellite and you couldn't watch a single channel you would be ok with that too???

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Let's hope that's kinda why I told Microsoft to shove it.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
This is from the PSN blog

blog.us.playstation.com...

I know you are waiting for additional information on when PlayStation Network and Qriocity services will be online. Unfortunately, I don’t have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time.

As we previously noted, this is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly. We’ll keep you updated with information as it becomes available. We once again thank you for your patience.

5 days but still no timeframe of when it will be fixed. Some of the comments on the blog are pretty....hardcore....

I wonder what will happen after/if they fix it. Maybe lag will be completely abolished (i can always hope)?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
An update has been posted to the official blog:

Link HERE

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
arstechnica.com...

Sony has finally come clean about the "external intrusion" that has caused the company to take down the PlayStation Network service, and the news is almost as bad as it can possibly get. The hackers have all your personal information, although Sony is still unsure about whether your credit card data is safe. Everything else on file when it comes to your account is in the hands of the hackers.

In other words, Sony's security has failed in a spectacular fashion, and we're just now finding out about it. In both practical and PR terms, this is a worst-case scenario.

What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name
"It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained," Sony announced. While the company claims that there is "no evidence" that credit card information has been compromised, it won't rule out the possibility.

Their advice is to be safe, rather than sorry. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

AH F**k. That's just awesome.
The only thing missing for me on that list is a credit card. Never registered one to the account. I'm definetly going to be watching more intently now.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Their advice is to be safe, rather than sorry.

Here's my new motto: Better safe then Sony.
When the next generation consoles is on the market, I'll be sure to buy an Xbox instead.

It's incredible that it took Sony 6 days to let their customers know that their credit card info may have been compromised.
That's 6 days where the hackers had more or less free access to my money, all because of Sony's lack of security and their unwillingness to admit that they didn't have the situation under control.
That's 6 days that Sony gave the hackers access to my money by not telling me that my credit card info wasn't safe in their hands.
If they would have told me and everyone else straight away what they knew, we could all have secured our credit cards and given the hackers much less time to take advantage of this info.

Hacking Sony's network is a criminal act, but in my mind it's equally criminal from Sony's part not to tell their costumers about the intrusion and it's effects to them right away.

Better safe then Sony...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

And if nothing had been compromised? I don't think sony are going to take a risk on something like this.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

I don't care if it was compromised or not, Sony should have told us right away that it MIGHT have been compromised so that each and every person could take the precautions they found necessary.
By not telling us anything at all, Sony don't treat us as adults that can think and act appropriately to the situation.
What if hypothetically my credit card was emptied at the 5th day after the hack, I could have taken the appropriate precautions necessary to avoid that, given that I got the information needed from Sony on the first or very least the second day after the attack.
Doesn't that hypothetically make Sony to blame for contributing to a third party stealing my money, by withholding necessary information, that if it were given to me could have prevented it?

Now Sony may not have been fully aware of all the consequences of the attack until the 6th day, but just the mere SUSPICION of it should have made them tell their paying customers about it right away, so that they could valuate the situation and take actions themselves.

I tell you what this is about - it's pride.
They avoided telling us that they were not in full control of the information we provided them because it would make them look bad.
They only told us when they had no other choice and not a minute sooner.
We are the ones that potentially ends up paying for their foolish pride with our money.
That doesn't just make them bad in customer relations, but it also (in my mind) makes them criminal themselves.

Better safe then Sony...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

april 22nd you had your first warning

An external intrusion on our system

april 23rd you had your second

we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

I think they may well of delayed saying outright by doing a "thorough" investigation. But they did give warnings that you don't want to hear if personal details are involved, if people didn't take those warnings seriously then surely thats the individuals fault.

EDIT

Pride

It's all about money and the vast amount they will lose it also didn't help they were releasing a product.

edit on 28-4-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

your spot on about how sony handled it.

i for one am not going to buy anything of sony ever again. i use to spend quite a bit per month on their network, i found it better to have games on the hard drive, they could'nt get lost and with the kids going on it to the fact there were no disc meant they could'nt get scratched etc. i also felt it was better for the enviornment because nothing other than a digital download is being produced, i use to think it was the future of gaming.

our credit card details have been cancelled, they are saying people should change their passwords and gamer tags, but nobody can get in to do so, i will never trust using any online services sony every do again.

so they have lost a good customer here, and i would guess countless others.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join