It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony Makes it Official: PlayStation Network Hacked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Source

When Sony's PlayStation Network was taken offline three days ago, all eyes fell on the Anonymous group, who've taken a dislike to Sony over its treatment of hardware hacker George Hotz. The network allows online play between PlayStation 3 consoles and boasts 70 million users, so this is no small inconvenience.

Last night Sony confessed that an "external intrusion" caused the company to take-down the PlayStation Network and also Sony's Qriocity service in order "to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward". However, they're not saying anything more, or giving a time scale as to when gamers will be able to resume playing online.

What I think is most interesting:

What makes it strange is that Anonymous has denied being involved, claiming "for once we didn't do it" and suggesting Sony was using rumors of an Anonymous attack as cover for an internal problem with their servers. As yet Anonymous hasn't responded to the latest update from Sony.

I would be inclined to believe the statement above, as I have noticed a lot of problems with the PSN since Sony started introducing the newer online services to the package.

No matter what the cause is, it's inexcusable for Sony to let this go on for three days without providing any insight to the problem. It's also inexcusable that they have not provided an ETA for restoration.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

No matter what the cause is, it's inexcusable for Sony to let this go on for three days without providing any insight to the problem. It's also inexcusable that they have not provided an ETA for restoration.

Oh wow, inexcusable? lol, how much does the PlayStation Network cost again? Thats right, its free

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
hehehe yea, I own a ps3 also and for 2 days now its on "maintenance" altho I havent tried today.

BUT this doesnt keep me from laughing thinking about all the kids going completely NEEEERRRDDDD RAAAGEEEEEE HITS YOU FOR OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAANDDDD!

hahaha frustration amuses me. I know I am a terrible person ahhaha

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TriForcehow much does the PlayStation Network cost again? Thats right, its free

I happen to have PSN+ and also pay for online play on other games. It's not about the money. It's about Sony's silence in what has happened and how long it will be affected.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Blame those losers at microsoft!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I was a little disappointed to find the PSN was down when trying to get online the last few days. I hope they can get this resolved soon, in my opinion Sony does a way better job then Microsoft. I converted to PS3 not too long ago because Microsoft tried to charge a couple prepaid cards I had on my account without my authorization and then banned me from Xbox Live when they couldn't.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I blame Microsoft

But on a serious note, it is a bit frustrating. I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with the hackers being blamed and is probably a part of the ubiquitous monitoring of services that is going on in the world right now; censored/closed websites, cellphone tracking, cops being allowed to upload your cellphone data for a traffic stop, the take down of analog television/radio signals to make people buy a box that monitors what they watch, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was being made to be a part of this world policing system. This is likely already going on with x-box and nintendo. The PS3 has been stated as being difficult to program for, so an account voyeur code may be more difficult to squeeze into the system. IMHO

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Blog or twitter, your choise. Silence... I guess not. if you dont know where to get the info, then it's your problem not Sony.
They are working on the problem and have said that since the shut down.

blog.us.playstation.com...

Ps.Blog: An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share. (PlayStation Network, PS3, Qriocity)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Lovin my xbox right about now.!! You're dead right to. Only reason it's remained down is because its free and theyre not losing a cent. Ah.... Real life has to just interfere with everything good.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Look at the date that was posted on the URL you provided. They didn't release information about the intrusion until late last night. (same as the article states) Where I get my information is the same place where you get yours. I posted the PC Mag article because it includes Anon's stand on what the real problem is.

edit on 4/23/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

On the same url, there is another one from the day before.
They inform as much as they can, and are not silence, a bit slow though.
It's a lame situation, and they are working hard to solve the thing, they can't say much as they have to find and solve the problem, they said from the first day that it was a maintenance, which is somehow right, and later came with the updates on the blog, i see that as good info from them, as they dont have to go in to technical explanations.
The real problem is the PSN users privacy, if any of the personal data has been leaked, not the downtime or the slow info. so lets hope nothing have leaked and that the PSN will be back up soon.

While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running. Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I just bought MAG, hooked up my PS3 that was sitting in my closet for a month, only to find this out. I'm pretty disappointed.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Any word on when it will be up and running again? I'm having Bad Company 2 withdrawls.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TraptInTheSystem

It's still out. I still haven't seen any news on a definite restoration date/time. I have BBC2 as well. I'll give you my PSN name and we can play. I've been waiting on them to release 3. The 1943 game isn't very good if it can be based off the demo I downloaded.

My Netflix isn't working on my PS either. Some people are saying theirs does, but every time I try to load a movie it keeps popping the login menu up until it gives some error message.

Oh well.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Sounds good. My profile name is TraptInThesystem. The s in system is not capitolized. When it does get running send me and request i'll add ya.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I have just gone back to playing PC games the last few days.

TBH it has reminded me how much better PC games are compared to console games but all my mates play PS3 so I bought one just so I didn't feel left out anymore!

Anyways, on topic... I hope they get it sorted soon, with any luck the PSN will run a lot smoother after this because it has been crap since I bought my PS3 in February. Too many connection issues to keep count of.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TraptInTheSystem
Any word on when it will be up and running again? I'm having Bad Company 2 withdrawls.

I know how you feel. I haven't played in almost 3 weeks because my controller decided I need to make constant left turns, but now that I have a new controller I can't even play.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

I think the PSN community needs some solid answers instead of getting a run around.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

My Netflix seems to be doing the same thing yours is. When it gives me the error code I hit "O" and then Netflix commits to signing on. About 1/2 way through it gives me another chance to sign in. I attempt to and the process is repeated. The second time I hit "O", the Netflix screen is ready to go. Once in a while, when I'm trying to start a movie I'll be prompted with the same "sign in" screen. So I sign in and then when the inevitable error screen pops up, I hit "O" yet again, and the movie will commence.

Its a hassle, but better than wasting money on an unused Netflix subscription.

reply to post by TraptInTheSystem

Agreed. For a lengthy time like this, it'd be worth them adding spyware to the network as long as we can get back online. I have nothing to hide. Nothing in the Playstation network atleast.

edit on 25-4-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

I would honestly like to know if my personal data was compromised to include my wallet/credit cards. I guess it's protocol to not relay any information like that until after a thorough investigation.

I would also like an ETA but at this point I'm being patient because I can't do anything else.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join