It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They Claim There's No Oil...Latest North Dakota Bakken Oil Field Estimates..........

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
You do know the US alone uses 20 billion barrels of oil per day. So by your estimate,the Anylargest oil reserve in teh world" would last us about 3-4 hours.

Anytime prices go up, someone always touts that we need to drill our own little reserves as a solution. It shows you have no idea how the oil industry works, and you don't solve any problems. You just created a 3 hour bandaid.

There is a reason that President Obama came out and said the prices are now going to be investigated. They are being manipulated. And the turmoil in the middle east is creating excuses, not problems.
Supply is up and Demand is actually down. If you look at the history of gas spikes, they always follow a mid east conflict.
So if supply is up and demand is down, why are prices skyrocketing? I don't think it is a coincidence the prices in the US dropped ten cents immediately upon the Presiden'ts announcement.

The USA only uses about 20 million barrels of oil a day.
archive.chicagobreakingbusiness.com...

So that is about 7.3 billion barrels a year. Either your a not so clever disinfo agent or you need to learn to use google before you make such a strong claim.
------
After reading through this it appears many made the same mistake of saying "billion" instead of "million".
edit on 24-4-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

----
also bbl doesn't mean "billion barrels"

mineralmanagers.com...
edit on 24-4-2011 by korathin because: term correction for people who may or may not care.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
You do know the US alone uses 20 billion barrels of oil per day. So by your estimate,the Anylargest oil reserve in teh world" would last us about 3-4 hours.

Anytime prices go up, someone always touts that we need to drill our own little reserves as a solution. It shows you have no idea how the oil industry works, and you don't solve any problems. You just created a 3 hour bandaid.

There is a reason that President Obama came out and said the prices are now going to be investigated. They are being manipulated. And the turmoil in the middle east is creating excuses, not problems.
Supply is up and Demand is actually down. If you look at the history of gas spikes, they always follow a mid east conflict.
So if supply is up and demand is down, why are prices skyrocketing? I don't think it is a coincidence the prices in the US dropped ten cents immediately upon the Presiden'ts announcement.

I'll have to give you a star for your amazing math skills. 3-4 hours, nice. Maybe we should all get one of those newfangled coal powered cars that Nissan actually makes and GM says they make.

edit on 24-4-2011 by KaiserSoze because: I misspelled retarded.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Yeah cause burning up the earths oil and turning it into disposable products is going well so far

How about we focus on replacing oil?

I have an idea. How about a solar powered coal mine? My best idea though is wind powered trucks and buses. As big as they are we could get a bunch of wind mills installed on each of them and the wind is always blowing when they are moving down the road. I have more ideas if anyone is interested in investing.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I waslooking for proof on the first part that mentions $16 per barrel of oil, I can't find it anywhere on the USGS site maybe someone else found it there. I found another site that talked about the same info as stated in the OP. There's just slightly more detail:

madamericanclub.blogspot.com...

Hmm, I hope I didn't post anything worthless! But $16 per barrel of oil would be heaven...unless the prices are still artificially inflated which would mean we'd never see the $16 per barrel of oil...if only a perfect world. I'll read more than the first page when I come back.

Sorry I didn't link it. It's awkward to do so on a phone.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ccponzi
reply to post by MJZoo

Obama can give Government Motors billions more to make small cars that are easily crunched under big semi-trucks on the highways, people won't buy the death traps.

You neglected to say big semi-trucks from Mexico that can't pass US safety standards because of poor maintenance that are allowed to drive on US highways as part of the naive policies in the NAFTA treaty.

edit on 25-4-2011 by whatwasthat because: spelling

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatwasthat
big semi-trucks from Mexico that can't pass US safety standards because of poor maintenance that are allowed to drive on US highways as part of the naive policies in the NAFTA treaty.

edit on 25-4-2011 by whatwasthat because: spelling

Written by GHW senior.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Shown 'repeatedly' by whom?

Abiotic oil is a theory, not a fact. And it is a flimsy fringe theory.

Indeed a theory that has increasing support from everyone except for those that "need" oil to be a finite commodity. Namely the Oil companies and the industrialized "western" governments. It is a tool of control.

The same can be said of Fossil Fuel theory, which though generally accepted was never actually proven either.

The only (supposed) fact we have is Peak Oil data which never seems to match up to the reality.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
dinosaurs
5 miles down are a fantacy not a fact

the deep water horizon hit super pressure oil at 5 MILES down

"PEAK OIL is about creating an artificial scarcity as is the war in Iraq and Libya etc
this is why the noth slope is capped and you can't have ANY of the clean coal in Montana...

just common herion in the school yard economics
in fact the same people who are making huge off the artificial scarcity of PEAK OIL are also making HUGE of the afghany HERION
it was a side benefit of getting control of that pipeline deal
edit on 25-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
dinosaurs
5 miles down are a fantacy not a fact

Why? Assuming all kinds of things about your statement to be true, why is it that millions of years of geological forces could not relegate decaying plants and animals to deep below the surface of the earth?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Assuming

show us a fossil

edit on 25-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noncompatible

Shown 'repeatedly' by whom?

Abiotic oil is a theory, not a fact. And it is a flimsy fringe theory.

Indeed a theory that has increasing support from everyone except for those that "need" oil to be a finite commodity. Namely the Oil companies and the industrialized "western" governments. It is a tool of control.

Actually, seeing as those who make a mint off of the rising cost of gas stand to benefit from the increased USE and therefore increased DEPLETION of oil (which only sends prices higher), I'd say the whole 'abiotic' theory quite clearly serves the interests of those who make money of the oil industry.

I mean, THINK about it; Let's say you make money off of the price of oil. The price of oil rises as it becomes more scarce. Scarcity is increased by the increased use of oil. So you invent a theory that allows people to pretend we can continue to consume oil forever (talk about unicorns and rainbows!), which further increases consumption, which further increases your profits. And by convincing people that oil is infinite, you discourage any sort of alternative technology, further guaranteeing that you have a captive market.

Really quite obvious when you apply a shred of critical thinking.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

So your argument is that dinosaur didnt exist? You dont believe in fossils?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ccponzi

So other then an attack, your response is what again?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

reply to post by Drala

Look, you can spew all the abiotic oil stuff you want. It's a fantasy, like an Ayn Rand novel. And if you used even a LITTLE bit of critical thinking skills, you would grasp it is a fantasy being spewed by those who want to promote our continued, unabashed use of fossil fuels so that prices will continue to rise.

If you will notice, the guy I was 'debating' with was claiming that there is plenty of oil, and it's just the liberals preventing us from accessing it. And while I clearly showed that is not true even he wasn't willing to go to the fantastical extreme you are by claiming that oil is infinite.

Oil is a finite resource.

Is it? I question that because we know hydrocarbons can be created without dinosaurs. Have you ever heard of titan? It has the largest source of hydrocarbons in the solar system in fact it rains oil there. So now could you explain how those dinosaurs got to titan im very curious to hear this explanation? We can create oil in a lab by just recreating the conditions in the earths core.And then theres the petroleum reserves in the Middle East they have doubled over the last two decades. This is contrary to our models and also we keep having wells that were pumped out again now having crude??

This argument has been going on for over a hundred years on how oil is produced neither side is proven correct though the Russians strongly believe oil has abiotic origins because they claim they found oil in areas it should not exist.This is kind of ironic since it was the russians that originally came up with the idea of fossil fuels. Still feel sure about oil i know I dont.

PS with current estimates they figure the US has between 150 and 200 yrs worth of oil at are current usage levels. I think even if were going to run out why wait to use it that gives us 150 yrs to find alternatives.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

PS with current estimates they figure the US has between 150 and 200 yrs worth of oil at are current usage levels. I think even if were going to run out why wait to use it that gives us 150 yrs to find alternatives.

Source?

current consumption levels? Even though we use more and more every day? I bet based on past consumption levels, we have even more! Hay, if we only used a gallon a day, it would last thousands of years!

And how is using it all up right away an intelligent course of action?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridrI question that because we know hydrocarbons can be created without dinosaurs.

But at what rate? I mean, how fast does abiotic oil replenish? And will it be enough to supply the world? How much would it cost to produce one barrel of "synthetic" oil?

Also, I don't think it is correct to say that just the dinosaurs are the oil we use today. At that time the earth was littered with forrests and many other lifeforms, and the process was continuous (and is still ongoing).

This is contrary to our models and also we keep having wells that were pumped out again now having crude??

But do they refill fully, and if so, at what rate? And why would oil companies spend money on employing more people (with all the costs that comes with employment), going all over the world to establish new platforms and refineries if oil replenish this quickly?

And if abiotic oil did work that fast, then why the need for imports? Countries all over the world wouldn't have need for conglomerates such as OPEC, and in that case, would OPEC even exist?

This argument has been going on for over a hundred years on how oil is produced neither side is proven correct though the Russians strongly believe oil has abiotic origins because they claim they found oil in areas it should not exist.

What "Russians"?

I think even if were going to run out why wait to use it that gives us 150 yrs to find alternatives.

Well it's not only cars that are going to use it, oil goes to plastics too. And the more humans that are born, the more toothbrushes, toys, school-equipment, computers, etc. we are going to need.

And don't forget changing political climate, which is probably one of the most forgotten topics about earth resources. As the dust in Northern Africa and the Middle East settles (sooner or later), people there will want to expand, which means even more resource usage. Say something similar happens in India? That's another one billion people that wants clean water, cars, schools, etc. Say China throws off communism, and with it, the one-child policy? That means more markets, thus more resource usage. So 150 years won't be that long when we take into account humans. Well, unless anybody believes the world will look exactly the same as it does now the coming centuries...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
By doing the arithmetic, this large reserve sounds like a lot. But if the U.S. alone consumed it at our rate, it will last us less than 1 year and 3 months, and that's only when they can get it from the ground to where it goes to get consumed. i.e. plastic, pesticides, oil, gas etc.

Don't let those big numbers fool you, or anyone claiming the 'new largest oil reserves found!' will last us 500-1000 years. That's at a 0% growth rate, we're at 0.07% growth rate I believe. And the U.S. alone consumes roughly 18-19 million barrels A DAY.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
IM
no problem with Dino fossiles..heh heh
just not 5 miles down

I just believe in ABIOTIC oil which it turns out the earth manufactures from basic chemical building blocks
under extremem heat and pressure

Fossils From Animals And Plants Are Not Necessary For Crude Oil And Natural Gas, Swedish Researchers Find

www.viewzone.com...
According to lindsey williams the worlds bigggest rigg has just been sent to the area just north of gull island

The US hasn't built a refinery since the 70s
and the pipeline from the northslope keeps getting shut down because its deteriorated badly
So this should be interesting

WASHINGTON, May 14 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama, under pressure from Republicans and the public to bring down gasoline prices, announced new measures on Saturday to expand domestic oil production in Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico

www.trust.org...

According to williams NOW the iraq oil goes to Israel then to China where it is refined and then sold as gas to the US...this is inlarge part according to Williams responsible for the huge holdings of the Chinese of USD
edit on 30-6-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
The so-called "obscene profits" of the oil comapnies is dwarfed by the obscene profits of government. The Federal tax is now 18.4 cents. State taxes are up to 44 cents (NY) and average 19 cents (AZ). When you add it all up the government makes about $14 Billion more per year than the oil companies do.

Oil company profit margins are also very small compared to other industries. Oil earns 5.7 cents per dollar. Beverages is over 20 cents. Drugs is 19 cents. Industry average is 8.5 cents. Even clothing is more at 7.7 centa. But you gotta have a bioogey man, and for the anti-capitalist crowd Big Oil serves that purpose.

Getting on this thread late, but BP makes 2 Billion in PROFIT a month...easy math says that is 24 billion dollars a year, after they pay the bills.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ccponzi

bakken is " shale" oil. It is harder and more expensive to extract and from what i can remember you could drill for it and it wouldn't even be ready to be manufactured into crude oil. Its extraction i believe also damages the enviroment ALOT more.

paris has a basin of shale oil i think 3-5 x the size of bakken , now imagine that!

to further elaborate shale oil is sedimentary rock so of x amount of supposed deposits only y will be available and possible to extract. and more expenisve to extract for the individual and enviroment also it takes huge amounts of water to extact shale oil.

edit on 30-7-2011 by mjw88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join