It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be in your emergency back pack ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I would like to get a backpack togther. Something I could just pick up on the way out the door if TSHTF.. I have few ideas for must have items but curious to see what else could come in handy

Gloves
Spare pair of contact lens
Rope
SAK
Decent Knife
Duct tape
Zip Ties
Full change of clothes
Crank powered flashlight
Canteen
Compass
Adjustable Wrench
Vise grips
Bit driver with atleast flat and phillips head bit
Lighter/Matches
Ziploc bags
Handheld am/fm radio
First aid kit
Canned fruit
Dried Nuts
Map

Most of these items are pretty small and I think I could fit some more small things. Id like to have rain gear and a hat. An additional pair of shoes/boots maybe.

Anything else I'm missing?? Always getting asked what i wwant for BDays and Christmas and what not... think ill start asking for stuff like this and getti.g the rest on my own...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

I'd drop the change of clothes and put in a few pairs of socks, and drawers and some talcum powder...drop the tools...remember pack your bag as if youre gonna be on the run for hours or days
edit on 4/23/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Oh My God! There are so many threads on this subject!

Backpack
Sharp Point Objects
Bread
Condiments
Map
field guide
fire starter..I forget what they are called...
Matches
Tin Foil
Swimming goggles
Bright Green Duct Tape
rope
Zip Ties
I always wear black jeans and black gloves. So gloves i guess...
Compass

Wait...Am I in the middle of a desert?
Where am I... It sort of defines my list

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

It just depends on where you are...you know? Cold weather climate, warm weather; somewhere in between. Definitely some sort of self defense, like a personal weapon I would say that's missing from your list.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Poncho with optional liner?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
My bad... its late and just been thinking about this...

Setting is basically rural American suburbs in which all hell has broken loose. Since I don't have a FOID card, the knife would be sole means of protection although if it was bad enough i wouldnt rule out looting to get my hands on a firearm !!! Just sayin

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

never underestimate the power of a good towel ...

and band-aids...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Get real with the contacts. Ditch them or at least have a set of backup eye glasses once your hands and the environment gets too dirty to make contacts comfortable. I can see you camping out under a tree somewhere, using precious water to wrinse your hands and the contacts. Contacts will be about the first modern "aid-to-living" that you will sacrifice to reality.

Frankly, it sounds as if you plan to hide out in a junk yard with that tool kit. Changes of clothes and undies? Are you going to a party somewhere or wanting to live long enough to get the hell outta Dodge? The clothes on your back can be good for months. If on foot, extra socks can be a necessity if distant travel is expect. Good, well-fitted, well-broken-in boots are critical.

But IF you expect to be relocating, a bicycle will be a prime consideration. It will at least double or quadruple foot travel distances--if you have someplace to go better than where you are at? Plus, a bike will be about the fastest thing on the streets other than a bullet, but faster than a gang of thugs.

About the only thing you must have is a several day's supply of food in one form or another. A plastic jar of peanuts will be a great start and some sugar candy for energy..

Of course, each one of us is different and in a different situation. I have been rather extreme with you here with an aim of getting you to think outside of the typical. Most people cannot do that. They want to prepare their BOB like they were going to summer camp for two weeks.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
There are a million combinations for as many types of disaster scenarios. All I can say is lose the tools, and replace the decent knife with a Good knife. Also; ditch the contacts. Get yourself some glasses, and a backup or as I like to call them "action set" of prescription sports goggles.
For the record though, here's my #3 Survival Bag Tool (#1 being a good knife, and #2 being water tablets):

Every G.O.O.D bag should have a gas mask. People always think that's an overboard object to carry, but it can be useful in a great many ways. I'll list a few:

-Tsunami- When that water washes into your life, its also carrying with it all the chemicals that get into its path; bleach, chlorine, a combination of both, gas, etc.

-Police State- No weapon is favored more for crowd herding than tear gas.

-Comet/Volcano- In the event of one of these, the atmosphere will be filled with dust and ash which can cook the lungs.

-Earthquake- Dust and Ash may also be present should large buildings collapse. Look at all the workers with repiratory problems from the 9/11 incident.

-Nuclear explosion- Whether it was on purpose or by accident, it doesn't matter, radiation is in the air like love on Valentine's Day. A good NBC filter on a gas mask can aid in the toxic air in-take.

-Home Fire- A fire fighter buddy mentioned to me that 90% of people killed in home fires could have been prevented if there were just one gas mask in the home.

-Human Decay- The smell of rotting people can make people physically ill, especially during long exposures. These effects can even be permanent.

-Aliens- ............ well, a gas mask can't really save you from these guys, but maybe you can fool them into thinking you're one of them?

In short: spend the $150 (+/-) on a good gas mask w/ an NBC filter. They're light weight and are G.O.O.D. bag gold.

S&F for begging the question. A lot of people have trouble planning their bag. Don't listen to the crap about "check older posts". You'll never get a response on a forum older than a week, and many of those forums are full of crap.
edit on 23-4-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Oh, and I forgot the number one reason for a gas mask... disease. Talk about inevitable.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

If you're looking for gift suggestions, I'd include:

A small Katadyn water filter
A good quality Swiss Army Knife/Multi Purpose Tool
A Jungle Hammock like this www.mosquitohammock.com... I've got a one man tent and sleeping bag, but I'm not going to be able to lug this much stuff so this hammock which is only 3 lbs or so is a much better option.
A small fishing kit or at least fishing line which can be used for fishing, making snares, or rigging a perimeter warning system amongst other things.
An edible wild foods guide for your area.
If you've got a bicycle you could add a pannier and saddlebags like this cgi.ebay.com.au... which will help you carry an additional 35 lbs of stuff. The saddle bags are available in varying sizes, just do a search on ebay.

Hope this helps!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

The area and the time of year are huge factors as to what you have or take with you.
If your in the mountains you wouldn't have beach cloths and if down south you wouldn't have bulky snow suits...a lot of it is common sense.

new topics

top topics

join