It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Area 51/Groom Lake Research Project

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
One other CIA project: Tagboard (M-12 / D-21 Project)
Good catch Tim, never paid attention to the code names before.

The Have projects may be Airforce, but also may indicate a DARPA link as well.

Also "Tacit" could also be airforce or DARPA
Tacit Blue
Tacit Rainbow

One other tidbit. In the Ben Rich autobiography ( I Think) he does talk about the Skunk Works supplying all the logistical support for the CIA projects. The AF used its own crews with a few exceptions. That could explain the continued large Lockheed presence on the base

[edit on 16-7-2004 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
One other CIA project: Tagboard (M-12 / D-21 Project)
Good catch Tim, never paid attention to the code names before.

The Have projects may be Airforce, but also may indicate a DARPA link as well.

Also "Tacit" could also be airforce or DARPA
Tacit Blue
Tacit Rainbow

One other tidbit. In the Ben Rich autobiography ( I Think) he does talk about the Skunk Works supplying all the logistical support for the CIA projects. The AF used its own crews with a few exceptions. That could explain the continued large Lockheed presence on the base

I found that partly on a tip from a book I have on the history of code word from 1903 to the present. Also thanks for pointing out project Tagboard, the M-12/D-21 program. I forgot all about it, at some point we need to get the dates for it so we can add it to the time line. I Know it was out at Groom Lake around the time when the A-12 Program was out there, but it didn't come untill after the A-12 had been there a while. I'm guessing it came around '64-'65? Does anyone know for sure?

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Operation Tagboard

October 10, 1962 authorization for a drone study recieved at Skunk Works
November, 1962 Preliminary desing work
December 7, 1962 Full scale Mock up completed
December 10, sent to Radar cross section study

March 20, 1963 Inital contract for production from the CIA
June 1964 Fit tested with Mother SHip
December 1964 First captive flight with M-21 / D-21
March 5 1966 First launch of drone
July 30 1966 Drone collides after launch with mother ship. Ray Torick (launch system operator) ejected but drowned during recovery. Apparently to the literature I hjave read, the drone flew in the shock wave of the moterh ship for several seconds, then suffered an Un-start. It then crashed into the mother ship and that was it. Lockheed supposedly still has the footage of this event but it remains classified. I did get to tour the museum at Edwards and they do show a clip of the drone lifting away. Its pretty cool, but I digress

December, 1966 the program is trans. to B-52 launches.

THis is from Lockheed Martin Skunk Works.. The official History By Jay Miller.

I actually have a pretty large collection of aviation books (bout 200 or so) so I usually can come up with a reference for stuff if we need it....

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
More on project Tagboard;

In the early 1960s, Lockheed had developed the Mach 3 "A-12" spyplane that the CIA recognized as a possible mothership for an advanced reconnaissance drone. A program to launch such a drone from the A-12 took precedence after Power's U-2 was brought down in the Soviet Union. The highly secret drone was given the preliminary designation of "Q-12.". To limit its weight and cost, the Q-12 was designed to be expendable. Its camera payload and guidance system were constructed in its nose section to be ejected and recovered after a parachute descent. The Q-12, its name changed to D-21, was carried on the back of the A-12 launch vehicle designated as "M-21." ("M" designated "Mother" and "D" stood for "Daughter." The project now had the codename "Tagboard".

www.roadrunnersinternationale.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Went to the USGS Office In Mnlo Park CA to pull the 7.5 minute maps for the Groom lake Area yesterday. FYI, USGS is the US Geological Survey, among other things they produce topagraphic maps for all of the US. They can be used for backpacking etc. The 7.5 minute series is taken by plane and can show quite a bit of terrain detail. Each Quad is (I think) the time it takes the plane to travel 7.5 minutes)

I got the
Castle Spring Quadrangle
Groom Range NE
Groom Range SE
Groom Range SW
Groom Mine
Groom Mine NW

Nothing Earthshaking (I did not expect anything) The Lakebed itself is lables as Groom Lake and right below Nevada Test Site which makes sence. Therse is a restricted area box that only crosses the Northern 20% of the lake. But the who area is restricted so who knows. All of the topos were last renewed from 1983-1989. However the origional aerial photos were taken in 1968. The only thing intersting about that is looking at the other parts of nevada, the surveys are only 5-10 years old max. The only other interesting item is that one of the surrounding series of Quads is called "Fallout Hills" not where I want to vacation

On the M-21 drone combo, the last one left is at the Seattle Museum of flight. It has a drone mounted on it. Pretty cool to check out if you get the chance.

[edit on 17-7-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 17-7-2004 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Source: UFO Diaries Volume 4 (VIDEO)
Part 2: Area 51 copyright 1995
Sun international Pictures Inc. &
Art Oko Filmproductions GmbH

- In the mid '80's the US Government seized the Groom Mountain range and added it to Area 51

-Helicopters on security patrole rutinely go up to 10 miles beyond the Military zone to fallow and observe and often harass civilians coming near the base.

-The base has been in use for over 40 years (Points to the base having been built in the 1950's)

-Security Features include:
Motion Detectors, Security Camras, Ammonia Detectors (can detect trace amounts of ammonia in human skin), IR, Radar, SAM's

-Workers at the base are picked up from the base's Janet Terminal and are taken to their work area by shuttle bus and are later picked up and taken back to the Janet Terminal (Janet is the call sign of the air liners that suttle workers to and from the base)

-Many of the research labs are built inside of the mountans that surround the main base.

-in Addition to the Labs, Anonymose workers and several researchers have reported the existance of adleast 9 hangers built into the mountains surrounding the base (NOTE: this has Nothing to do with the Lazar stories, which supposed to have occured at Papoose Lake a few miles from Groom Lake.)

-According to Former Workers there is a 40 story, underground research complex at the base.

Part 2:
Personal Analysis (This part is MY interpratation of the above facts and may or May not be correct):

-Based on the labs and the hangers in the mountains, I think the base might be divided into aeras by the type of research being done.

-the reports of the 40 story underground facility suggest that most of the base is underground.

Tim

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Does anyone know anything about something Code Named: Project Aquarius? I found a link that seems to suggest the National Security Agency might be working on it out at Groom Lake. The site suggests that it is some kind of advance communication system. I don't have any details about it, but maybe we can fallow up on this and find out. Whatever it is, it should be an intresting surprise. Here are the links:
NSA at Area 51
Project Aquarius

As I've said, I'm not exactly sure what I've found, but I'm sure it links to Groom Lake. I only know it's a black project belonging to the NSA. Maybe some one can help me do some digging and find out what it might be. If this is correct and the NSA is working on something out at Groom Lake, it would be yet another strange twist in this research project. Can Someone help me look into this?

Tim

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Interesting find ghost, i've currently turning my attention to this project. Here is some more info

Lambright then requested the "goals" of Project Aquarius. The NSA replied that 'even the release of the project name could reasonably be expected to cause grave damage to the national security,' and therefore was properly classified. This language was straight out of the section on the Top Secret classification of the Executive Order which established the classification system, Executive Order 12356. Confirmation! Project Aquarius existed and was classified Top Secret!

Despite repeated attempts through the FOIA over the intervening years, nothing more about Project Aquarius was obtained from the NSA.

In 1996 we decided to take another tack in our pursuit of Project Aquarius. Although earlier FOIA requests citing information published in 1990 by Bill Moore and Jaime Shandera were unsuccessful, using this information, we were finally able to produce significant documentation on a Project Aquarius conducted by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). This broke a long silence on the matter. The nagging question is when and how did William Moore (or the fabricators of the Telex) know of this project and it's name - or did he?

www.cufon.org...

Google Search

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I found a bunch of links for Project Aquarius. One page also outlines several "Sub Projects" on the Aquarius Umbrella

Project Plato (Diplomatic relations EBE's)
Project SIGMA (Est communications with alliens)
Project Redlight (Test fly a recovered allien craft)
Project Snowbird (develop a Flying saucer)

Can't vouch for any of it though
http://j_kidd.tripod.com/b/21.html

Other Links
www.think-aboutit.com...
www.angelfire.com...
www.yawp.com...
www.unexplainable.net...
members.lycos.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghost
- In the mid '80's the US Government seized the Groom Mountain range and added it to Area 51
-Helicopters on security patrole rutinely go up to 10 miles beyond the Military zone to fallow and observe and often harass civilians coming near the base.

Glenn Cambell's desert rat goes into great details about the helichopters (he's been buzzed with anews crew) and the legal aspects fo the land grab as well

-The base has been in use for over 40 years (Points to the base having been built in the 1950's

THis is also confirmed by Ben Rich's "Skunk Works" and Kelly Jhonsons " Kelly" Rich says "Tony Levier" found the base, Kelly claims he did, but the time is similar for both. The one point that I have not been able to find (Iread it somewere) that the lake bed was used for 50' cal target practice during WWII.

[Many of the research labs are built inside of the mountans that surround the main base. Addition to the Labs, Anonymose workers and several researchers have reported the existance of adleast 9 hangers built into the mountains surrounding the base
-According to Former Workers there is a 40 story, underground research complex at the base.

The sattelite pictures suggest large piles of gravel. This could be explained as aggregate for the cement plant, or "muck" (its the technical term for mining waste" from tunnling. However, my dad was a civil engineer who specilized in mining and he said that a 40 story underground base would generate so much "Muck" it would be impossible to conceal.

[edit on 19-7-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 19-7-2004 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Lambright then requested the "goals" of Project Aquarius. The NSA replied that 'even the release of the project name could reasonably be expected to cause grave damage to the national security,

Interesting, I was under the assumption that Project names esp for top secret ones were stricly random to aviod this very fact.
IE: Have Blue. You can't infer much from the name.

[edit on 25-7-2004 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Okay Ive finsihed looking at the USGS maps for the area: I never figured this would come to much, but it was intersting to scope out the terrain.

Lake is about 4444 feet above sea level. Its really flat.
North 4444
WNW 4439
E 4444

Thats only 5 feet of change.

The lake measures 3 miles at its wides e-w point
about 4 miles at its n - s point

4/5's of the lake is in a restricted access box labled Nevada Test Center. The Northern 20% were the base is is in the Nellis range. The lake itself is called 'Groom lake" Groom Peak is at 5714 feet. Not too much higher in the range itself. The higest point in the quad was 6200. Groom range is the mountains you see in all the pics.

NNW There is a small mountain peak that is 1/4 mile from the lakebed. Its about 1/2 mile long and peaks at anbout 4728. Or about 340 feet above the lake. The rest of the range to the north gradually sloopes up over about 1.5 miles north untill it starts getting steep.

Multiple dirt roads intersect the lake (6) however, there is no road around its circumference.

Located NNE about 3-4 miles there is a large concentration of mines in a valley in the groom range. The labled mines include Black Metal Mine, and Groom Mine and about five sites labled as "prospects"

No buildings, powelines or airtrips noted.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
For the purpose of helping the team stay orginized and Up to date on our research and current leads, I will do periodic status updates. In these Updates, I will post our major finds and leeds for all to see. Since this post is a summery of all Research, I will include Everyone's work in this post (But not in detail). This post is stictly to aid us with orginization, Not to take Credit from anyone! Thanks to the fallowing People we have the info in this post: Infinite, FredT, machinegunjordan, and ghost

Here's what we have!(arranged by goal):

#1: To find out exactly when the base was first built and to construct accurate and more complete time line of the base's history. (See Time Line Post) summery: the current time line goes from 1955 to the present

#2: To determine who owns and runs the base today.
Still unknown, but may be a joint effort of the CIA/USAF/DARPA

#3: Identify likly areas of technology and science being researched at the base and how they apply to Defense and National Security.

What we have: Advanced Stealth, UAV's, Intelligence/Reconnassance systems,

#4: Determine what government Departmets/Agencies are at the base

US Department of Defense, US Air Force (Det 3 AFFTC), CIA, DARPA, NSA

#5: Learn how the base ties into other covert government activities beyond research (EX: Intelligence, SpecOp's, ect.) We've linked the Base to Intelligence operations based on who's there. Also Many of the base's secret projects seem to be linked to intelligence gathering hardware or Projects (EX: spyplanes, the MiG's that were tested)

#6: Answer the Big question: does the base have an Official name/ if so what is it?
Still not known! Might be Groom Lake, but we're not sure.

This Summery shows that we are doing very well with this project so far. I'm very impressed with both the Quality and the quanity of the research that the team has provided. Keep up the Great Work!

Tim

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I found a bunch of links for Project Aquarius. One page also outlines several "Sub Projects" on the Aquarius Umbrella

Project Plato (Diplomatic relations EBE's)
Project SIGMA (Est communications with alliens)
Project Redlight (Test fly a recovered allien craft)
Project Snowbird (develop a Flying saucer)

Can't vouch for any of it though
http://j_kidd.tripod.com/b/21.html

Other Links
www.think-aboutit.com...
www.angelfire.com...
www.yawp.com...
www.unexplainable.net...
members.lycos.co.uk...

I did some paliminary reviews of the Website and they all seem to point to a UFO project of some Kind. Origionally, I had plan to stay away from the UFO/ET stuff. Since we are a team I want everyone to have a Say in the final Desicion.Do we avoid the UFO/ET connetion and back track, OR do we chase it and see where it goes? Remeber our goal: We're trying to study the Secrets of Groom Lake and how the Connect Defense! Please let me know what you all think.

Tim

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I say stay away from the UFO/ET connections at the moment. I think we are going very well looking into all the miltary projects, but if we keep finding links then we should consider investigating the links.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
There may be a link to the NSA in the form of the TR-3 spy plane. The TR-3 is supposed to be even more secret then the Aurora. It seems to be used for the SIGINT/ELINT mission simular to the way that the RC-135's are used. There have been reported sighting of it near Groom Lake. Here is some info about it:

TR-3A
The Black Triangle
Black Manta #1
Black Manta #2

Signal Intelligence (SIGINT) and Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) seem the be the primary missions of this mystery spy plane. SIGINT and ELINT are the responsibility of the NSA. If the TR-3 is at Groom Lake, the NSA might be there as well.

Tim

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
if anybody here would like a really informative read check out the book by phil patton called Dreamland. I read it its a good book. I have some stuff to post here tommorow when im not so busy.BTW did anyone catch the show on area 51 tonight?

[edit on 7/20/2004 by machinegunjordan]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I say stay away from the UFO/ET connections at the moment. I think we are going very well looking into all the miltary projects, but if we keep finding links then we should consider investigating the links.

I agree, if we delve off hunting little green men, we may lose sight of the purpose of the research group.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Thanks for your input on this. The Majority Recommended that we stay away from this for now. In keeping the the idea of doing things Democraticly, I will uphold this Recommendation. We Will Avoid Project Aquarius and shift our Research efforts elsewhere!

Tim

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I just found out where the name "Dreamland" came from. Dreamland is an offical designation applying to the Groom Lake facility, but is not the name of the base. Dreamland is the official Call Sign for the base's air traffic control center. It's a radio call sign only. Here's the link:

Origin of Dreamland

Tim

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join