It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Area 51/Groom Lake Research Project

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Area 51 and the Groom Lake base in the Nevada desert have been a source of mystery and speculation since the civilian population first learned of its existence. To add to the mystery for many years the government and the military both went out of their way to deny that the base existed. Once the base bacame undeniable, the US Defense Department released a very breif and vague statment about the base that was hidden in a general statment about the Nellis Range Complex. Soon after, the Defense Department seized the mountains surrounding Groom Lake to hide the base from view. In recent years there have been no more offical public discussions about the base. In an effort to find the truth, we are launching a research project into the mystery base that has become an icon for government secrecy and cover-ups.

GOALS:

#1: To find out exactly when the base was first built and to construct accurate and more complete time line of the base's history.

#2: To determine who owns and runs the base today.

#3: Identify likly areas of technology and science being researched at the baseand how they apply to Defense and National Security.

#4: Determine what government Departmets/Agencies are at the base

#5: Learn how the base ties into other covert government activities beyond research (EX: Intelligence, SpecOp's, ect.)

#6: Answer the Big question: does the base have an Official name/ if so what is it?

PURPOSE:
To discover the facts about Area 51 and how it ties into the governments "Black World" to provide a better understanding of the base, and to provide a "window" into the Black World that will enhance understanding, and can provide a starting point for futuer ATS resaerch projects on government related secrets.

Team:
ghost (TL) (Goal # 3, 4)
Infinite
FredT (Goal # 1 , 6)
machinegunjordan
DeltaNine (Goal #2)
muzz

[edit on 14-7-2004 by ghost]

[edit on 14-7-2004 by ADVISOR]

[edit on 28-7-2004 by ghost]

[edit on 19-8-2004 by ghost]

[edit on 31-8-2004 by ghost]

[edit on 3-9-2004 by ghost]

[edit on 24-5-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
While not a complete list, here are some of the Departments, Agencies, and Contractors we know for a fact have important (and current) ties to Groom Lake. This list might be useful later in finding out what is going on out there. This is a composit list so I can't provide a souce for the list. Here who's at Area 51:

US Department of Defense
US Air Force
CIA
DARPA
EG&G Special Projects
SAIC
Lockheed Martian
Northrop Grumman
Wackenhut Security
Bechtel

This is just a starting point, please help me add to this list if you can. I know the list is not complete.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Just like to thank you Ghost for letting me join the team. Now, lets start with some Satellite pictures of the infamouse Base;

Above is a picture of the base from 1968.

Now here is detail image of the base. We can see that Area 51 has had a lot of work carried out over the last 30 years. More buildings have been built, probably due to new technology being tested. Also, new runways have been built so more aircraft can be tested.

Here is probably the most up to date image of the base. It seems more and more aircraft and other projects are being tested here. More information to come.....

(images taken from www.rickrichards.com... and www.alien-ufos.com...)

[edit on 14-7-2004 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Before we start looking into what is being tested at the base now, lets look into what has been successfully tested and produced at the base.

U-2 Spyplane

The U-2 was tested when Area 51 was still a bunch of tents and Quonset huts. Flying at 70,000 feet, the U-2 overflew the USSR with impunity for years until one was shot down in 1960. Until they were painted black in the sixties, a fair percentage of UFO sightings were actually reflections from the silver bodied U-2 reconnaissance plane.

Suntan

Only four prototypes of the Mach 2.5 CL-400 or Suntan were ever built. This successor to the U-2 was to be powered by liquid hydrogen but it was deemed too costly to create an infrastructure for refueling around the world. The program was cancelled in the late fifties.

SR-71

The true successor to the U-2, the mach 3 SR-71 flies at 90,000 feet, uses 8,000 gallons of fuel per hour and has outrun countless SAMs. Built of titanium, the SR-71's surface temperature reaches 3,000 degrees during flight. Deactivated in 1990, the program has recently been revived, some believe because of problems with the Aurora.

Stealth Fighter

Code named Senior Trend and known as the Hopeless Diamond, the F-117 Stealth Fighter was designed in the late seventies. So stealthy, aircrews sometimes find dead bats whose own sonar is so confused by the signal return from the F-117 that they crash into parked craft. The hero of the Gulf war, the Stealth Fighter is still tasked to take out the toughest targets and is only now becoming vulnerable to enemy radar.

Other Aircraft

- Captured Soviet Craft

- Tacit Blue

Who is running Area51 then?

Well it seems that Lockheed Skunk Works are probably the guys who are producing the aircraft at the base, but DARPA and the DOD are probably now running the base.

In April 1955, Tony LeVier found a remote site where the U-2 could be tested. Kelly Johnson was the person who ordered him to find a secret location. After finding Groom lake, work began with the direction of Lockheed Skunk Works on building the facility. The CIA has also had some history at Area 51, mainly projects envolving spy planes. And in Late 1961, Colonel Robert J. Holbury, USAF, was named Commander of the Groom lake base.

Groom Lake Timeline

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
let me start with a nice photo here
www.lasvegasnow.com...

Now i have more info coming here but let me say Area 51 employees get there paycheck from the Department of the Navy.
some Contractors that built the base and do construction are the RAND corp. and EG&G. ill update this with more.

Area 51 was opened in the 50s for a place to test the U2.

more to come here......

[edit on 7/14/2004 by machinegunjordan]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Before we start looking into what is being tested at the base now, lets look into what has been successfully tested and produced at the base.

U-2 Spyplane

The U-2 was tested when Area 51 was still a bunch of tents and Quonset huts. Flying at 70,000 feet, the U-2 overflew the USSR with impunity for years until one was shot down in 1960. Until they were painted black in the sixties, a fair percentage of UFO sightings were actually reflections from the silver bodied U-2 reconnaissance plane.

Suntan

Only four prototypes of the Mach 2.5 CL-400 or Suntan were ever built. This successor to the U-2 was to be powered by liquid hydrogen but it was deemed too costly to create an infrastructure for refueling around the world. The program was cancelled in the late fifties.

SR-71

The true successor to the U-2, the mach 3 SR-71 flies at 90,000 feet, uses 8,000 gallons of fuel per hour and has outrun countless SAMs. Built of titanium, the SR-71's surface temperature reaches 3,000 degrees during flight. Deactivated in 1990, the program has recently been revived, some believe because of problems with the Aurora.

Stealth Fighter

Code named Senior Trend and known as the Hopeless Diamond, the F-117 Stealth Fighter was designed in the late seventies. So stealthy, aircrews sometimes find dead bats whose own sonar is so confused by the signal return from the F-117 that they crash into parked craft. The hero of the Gulf war, the Stealth Fighter is still tasked to take out the toughest targets and is only now becoming vulnerable to enemy radar.

Other Aircraft

- Captured Soviet Craft

- Tacit Blue

You missed one, but it was to be expected because the government fooled a lot of people(including me initially)

Stealth Bomber

Origionally Code Named Senior Ice, the B-2 was the First stealth plane design for the strategic mission and the first tested for it's ability to carry nuclear weapons. during the B-2 Antigravity research project, we found proof that the B-2 test fleet was at Groom Lake from some time in the early to Mid '80's untill it was unveiled and "Officially" flowen for the first time in 1989-1990. Here is the proof:

B-2 at Groom Lake

If you go down to the section on Black Aircraft the B-2 is the second one listed, right under the F-117. I incourage you to look at it if you get a chance. It says the B-2 was at Groom Lake untill it was brought out of the black world in 1988-89.

Tim

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Let the research begin

Taken from Desert Secrets web site (link at bottom)

Groom Lake before 1955

TeThe land that is now Nevada was owned by Mexico until 1848, when the United States purchased it following the Mexican-American War. Southern Nevada was first inhabited by humans as early as 10,000 years ago. Those native peoples, most recently including the Southern Paiute and Western Shoshone, occupied the area until their relocation or extermination by European settlers throughout the 1800s. Since 1864 there have been mining operations in the Groom and Papoose mountain ranges and ranching operations in the general area. The creation of the Las Vegas Bombing and Gunnery Range invalidated the Papoose mining claims and ultimately all grazing claims, but there are recognized mining claims which are not actively worked in the Groom Mountain Range, which did not become part of the then Nellis Air Force Range until 1986. No cattle grazing is permitted within Groom Lake, though there is unfenced range in the nearby Tikaboo Valley, so cattle may stray into the portion of the Nellis Range surrounding the base.

To gain admittance to the Union, the citizens of Nevada and neighboring Western states were required to disclaim ownership of the unappropriated public lands within their respective state and recognize the United States as the owner of those lands. Those lands are held in public trust, generally by the Department of the Interior, and are generally accessible to the public for purposes including mining, ranching, and recreation. However, because the federal government owns those lands, they may be designated withdrawn from civilian use by order of the President or act of Congress and dedicated exclusively to the military for a different public use, ostensibly that of securing the nation's defense. More unit land area of Nevada than any other state is dedicated to the military and associated government agencies.

The United States military was not active in the Groom Lake area until 1940, when President Roosevelt signed Executive Order 8578 establishing the Las Vegas Bombing and Gunnery Range, what is today the Nellis Air Force Range. Roosevelt withdrew 3.5 million acres of land from the civilian public domain to create the range, making it the largest military range in the Western world.

Read more about the history of Groom Lake in this scholarly paper, "Area 51: Open Skies, National Insecurity and the Biggest Little Air Force Base That Never Was," available in both Microsoft Word and Corel WordPerfect formats. Contains nearly 250 footnotes.

www.desertsecrets.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
A real good look at site security etc comes from a guy named Glenn Cambell. A resident of Rachel Nevada, he made numerous forays )often with media to check out and probe the security at Area 51 from 1994 to 1994. I actually used to recieve his newsletter "The Desert Rat"

Its a good chronicle of the secruity aka "Commo dudes" , how the local law enforcments helped area 51 etc. The complete list can be found here.

www.ufomind.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Some people have thought that AFFTC Det 3 was a possible name for the Base. It is Not, and Now we Have Proof. Det 3 is the Airforce's test unit at Groom Lake. According to US DoD standerd Manuals Det. is an official Abbrevation for Detatchment. Back when the USAF flew the SR-71, the Blackbird stationed in England were assigned to the 9th Strategic Reconnassance Wing Det 1. If you look in the records you will clearly See that Det 1 was at RAF Mildenhall, in England. Since it a fact and a matter of public record that the Base belonged to England and is called Mildenhall, this proves that DET 1 was the name of the Unit. Therefore AFFTC Det 3 must also refer to a UNIT, Not a place.

We have also learned one of the orgnizations with a major hand in the operations out at Groom Lake. So anyone want to see what AFFTC Det 3 is up to? It may help us jump start the research. (HINT: some one see if you can find or create a list of black Projects that begin with the code word HAVE this word is Assign to technology R&D efforts). Good Luck.

Tim

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I found a site that seems to give us an up close look at the layout of the Base. Unfortanatly, I have to get ready to go offline, so I don't have time to study it in depth. So I'm posting the link so we don't lose it. Maybe someone can check into the link: www.area51phx.freeservers.com...

Tim

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A couple of other planes:

The A-12 CIA version of the SR-71. Was developed before the SR. One seat version. Article 928 crashed on public l;and while heading back to Groom Lake. The CIA pilot Walter Ray was killed.....

The M-21/D-21 combination was flow out of groom as well. Other places too.

The YF-12 derivative also recived some flight time there in development. before it was canceled.

More recently: I believe that the Dark Star Tier III minus was deployed there for a while for testing, prior to the more public test regime (But I cannot find any reference. The one UAV wild card is a mystery. AWST right after Gulf War II spoke of a secret stealth drone possible a dark star follow on that flew over the gulf. Area 51 may be a logical site for testing this.... Again I have not been able to find any other evidence other than the AWST article.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Bright Star

The Bright Star is a private venture of Lockheed Martin Skunk Works. It is a Mach 2+ supersonic cruise/sonic boom research aircraft, which was used by the Skunk Works to raise DARPA's interest in QSP (Quiet Supersonic Platform) research. Although it is not a DOD project, the USAF provides some support (at least by providing a secret flight test location ;-)). The Bright Star has been flying for many years, and was the cause of some of the unexplained sonic booms over the western USA. The Bright Star is the most plausible cause for many so-called "Aurora" sightings.

F-121 Sentinel

This aircraft was built by General Dynamics (Fort Worth), now part of Lockheed Martin, and first flew in 1986. It is a single-seat Mach 3+ reconnaissance aircraft for NRO, and significantly more stealthy than the SR-71A. It is of almost perfect delta planform with 65� leading edge sweep, and its ventral air intake is highly blended into the fuselage. Four of these aircraft are currently operationally based at Groom in hangars 20 through 23.

A-11 Astra

The A-11 Astra is a stealthy replacement for the F-111 Aardvark. It is described as a long highly-swept delta with a serrated trailing edge. Forward-swept rudders are mounted on articulated pylons extending from the trailing edge, and flush ventral air intakes are located near the leading edge. The design is less faceted than the F-117. Characteristics are said to be similar to those quoted for the ATA-B proposal of 1978. The Astra is still in production, and three aircraft are currently at Groom for continued developmental testing.

(Info taken from www.dreamlandresort.com...)

Now, a few weeks ago, i watched a program about Area 51 and it spoke about some sort of New Radar system being tested at the base. As we can see from the recent images, a radar tower has been constructed north of the base.

Im still looking into what sort of new system is being tested, but rumors suggest its a radar system that can detect stealth. Maybe the Miltary is worried about other countries using stealth aircraft against them or maybe its not a stealth detection system, who knows.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghost
I found a site that seems to give us an up close look at the layout of the Base. Unfortanatly, I have to get ready to go offline, so I don't have time to study it in depth. So I'm posting the link so we don't lose it. Maybe someone can check into the link: www.area51phx.freeservers.com...

Tim

well the last image shows the new radar system i was speaking about. From looking at the images, the rumors about the base being closed are false. The base is still operational and activity has increased. More buildings have been constructed and its seems to me that there is something under the sand.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Have Blue ----- The F-117 Prototypes flown at area 51. I believe one crashed and was buried on site.

Have Doughnut
Have Drill Both were tests of Soviet Aircraft. Doughnut tested the Mig-21, and Have Drill the Mig-17

Those are the ones I know of. The FAS lists several on this page

www.fas.org...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Have Blue ----- The F-117 Prototypes flown at area 51. I believe one crashed and was buried on site.

FredT, you are correct there was a report of a crashed Have Blue, was buried out in the desert then later recovered and reburied on base.

This site has information on crashed aircraft, sadly Have Blue doesn't appear on it.

Crashed Aircraft around Area 51

Area 51 nicknames

Area 51 has various nicknames; Groom Lake, Dreamland, Watertown Strip, The Ranch, The Funny Farm, and Area 51. Nobody really knows the offical name of the base, but it has been refered to sometime as the "Groom Lake Facility". Apparently it might even have a new classfied name (according to www.rense.com...), some pilots call it "The Box" cause of the restricted airspace. When nuclear testing went on at the site, it was simply called the Nevada Test Site, this name may still be used.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   
One other name, the Ranch is a shortned version of "Paradise Ranch". Occording to Ben Rich's autobiography, Kelly Jhonson cioned the term to help attract pilots to the test program.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   

While not a complete list, here are some of the Departments, Agencies, and Contractors we know for a fact have important (and current) ties to Groom Lake. This list might be useful later in finding out what is going on out there. This is a composit list so I can't provide a souce for the list. Here who's at Area 51:

US Department of Defense
US Air Force
CIA
DARPA
EG&G Special Projects
SAIC
Lockheed Martian
Northrop Grumman
Wackenhut Security
Bechtel

This is just a starting point, please help me add to this list if you can. I know the list is not complete.

Tim

Tim, you can also add EG&G security. They had the contract at one point for area 51 there is a picture of one at the bottom of the page
www.ufomind.com...
www.egginc.com...

Also, Reynolds Electric & Engineering Co., Wackenhut and Applied Physics Laboratory of Johns Hopkins University
www.lasvegassun.com...

and Hughes. The late Howard Hughes made alot of toys for the CIA

[edit on 15-7-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 16-7-2004 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Some people have thought that AFFTC Det 3 was a possible name for the Base. It is Not, and Now we Have Proof. Det 3 is the Airforce's test unit at Groom Lake.

Tim, further proof. FOllow the like to what is purported to be a security guide for the Infamous Cammo Dudes the unmarked secruity guys for Groom Lake. On the cover it says Det 3 SP on it. Also, I was reading on of the book I have on Area 51 and it states that the area was gridded for the purpose of measuring fallout from A-Bomb tests. Thus Area 51 etc.

www.ufomind.com...

However........ Just to confuse things this is an excerpt from a Skunk WOrks mailing list dated Dec 1994 Vol#175)

Det X (USAF (& CIA), Detachments):
- ----------------------------------
Detachment, SAC deployment base for U-2 reconnaissance aircraft (later OL-n,
then to Det n), where _X_ is a capital letter:

Det A - RAF Lakenheath, England, WRSP-1, (Weather Reconnaissance Squadron,
Provisional - 1), moved to:
- Wiesbaden AB, Germany, moved to:
- Giebelstadt AB, Germany
Det B - Incirlik AFB, Turkey, WRSP-2, later also known as Det 10-10, or TUSLOG
(Turkey-US Logistics Group)
Det C - Atsugi AB, Japan, WRSP-3
Det _ - Groom (Dry) Lake Test Facility, WRSP-4, also known as:
'Watertown Strip', 'Aerea 51', 'The Area', 'The Ranch',
'Paradise Ranch', 'Dreamland', moved 6/1960 to:
- Edwards AFB, North Base, California, USAF Flight Test Center, also
known as 'Special Projects Branch', 1969 redesignated 1130th ATTG, and
belonging to ARDC, together with the 6512th TG

Det n (USAF, Detachments):
- --------------------------
Detachment, SAC deployment base for U-2 and SR-71 reconnaissance aircraft
(previously OL-n), where _n_ is a sequence number:

Det 1 - Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan, 9th SRW, SR-71, ex OL-8, OL-RK (or OLRK)
Det 2 - Osan AB, Korea, 9th SRW, U-2
Det 3 - Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico, U-2, (HASP-deployment 1958,
MIDAS-deployment and HiCAT-deployment), moved to:
- RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus, 9th SRW, U-2
Det 4 - Plattsburgh AFB, New York, U-2, (HASP-deployment), moved to:
- Ezeiza AB, Argentina, U-2, (HASP-deployment 9/11/58 to 8/1959 and
5/1960 to 6/1960), moved to:
- RAF Mildenhall, UK, 99th SRS, 9th SRW, established 3/1979, U-2 and
SR-71A, (the U-2s moved 1980 to RAF Alconbury, UK, becoming the
95th TRS, 17th RW), after 1980 only SR-71
Det 5 - Patrick AFB, Florida, 9th SRW, U-2, (MIDAS-deployment and
HiCAT-deployment)
Det 51 - Palmdale, California, Air Force Plant 42, Lockheed Plant 10,
(ex Site II), 2762th Logistics Squadron, AFLC, also known as
Det 6, U-2 and SR-71
Det 6 - Palmdale, California, Air Force Plant 42, Lockheed Plant 10,
(ex Site II), 2762th Logistics Squadron, AFLC, also known as
Det 51, U-2 and SR-71
Det 10-10 - Incirlik AFB, Turkey, also known as TUSLOG (Turkey-US Logistics
Group), ex Det B (or WRSP-2), U-2
www.netwrx1.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I wonder if it simply known as Groom lake or Groom Dry Lake AFB? Here is exceprts from a Las Vegas Sun article dated Sept 2003. One intersting thing to note as I looked through the articles. The exemption is renewed every year, including the Clinton years.

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Invoking national security, President Bush has renewed an exemption allowing the Air Force to keep mum about its top-secret operations at Groom Lake, also known as Area 51, in southern Nevada.
Bush signed a memorandum on Tuesday declaring it of "paramount interest" to exempt the base from disclosing classified information.
President Clinton first issued the exemption in 1995 in response to two lawsuits filed by injured workers in Nevada seeking information about the military's environmental practices at the site. It has been renewed yearly.
In renewing the order, Bush also cited the Nevada suits brought by injured workers and Helen Frost and Stella Kasza, widows of two men who worked at the military base.
In their 1994 lawsuits, Frost and Kasza alleged that their husbands were exposed to hazardous and toxic materials while working at Groom Lake, which sits along a dry lake bed in Lincoln County, about 90 miles north of Las Vegas. The area is in a no-fly zone and closed to the public.
Attorney Jonathan Turley, who represents the families, said the presidential directive keeps secret documents and testimony that he believes would link Area 51 to the men's deaths.

And Another from April 2000
The site, www.terraserver.com, was running Thursday, although some delays were possible.
"I won't tell you it's completely solved," said John Hoffman, president of Raleigh-based Aerial Images Inc., which owns and operates the site. "We've taken steps to mitigate its effect. It's almost a fact of being online these days."
The attack began within six hours of when images of the 8,000-square-mile Area 51, home to Groom Dry Lake Air Force Base, became available at 8 p.m. Monday, Hoffman said.
The site also is averaging 7 million to 8 million page views per day; typically, it averages 700,000 to 800,000. Aerial Images had expected from 3 million to 5 million daily views after the Area 51 images were posted.

And another also dated April 2000

The Air Force refused to acknowledge the secret Area 51 existed until Washington, D.C. attorney Jonathan Turley sued the government in the 1990s on behalf of Robert Frost, whose widow said he was exposed to toxic fumes from open burning along with five other unidentified workers. The workers are appealing their court losses, but the federal government offered a slight admission.

The Air Force sends a short message to anyone asking about Area 51's existence: "Training and testing activities take place at the Groom Dry Lake Bed."

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   
R-4806W Las Vegas, Nevada (Nellis Air Force Base)
R-4807A Tonopah, Nevada
R-4807B Tonopah, Nevada
R-4808N Las Vegas, Nevada (R-4808N covers both the Nevada Test
Site, and the Dreamland "box" around Groom Lake, which
is the rectangular region in the northeast of R-4808N)
R-4809 Tonopah, Nevada (R-4809 covers Tonopah Test Range, used
for activities such as F-117 fighter testing and
Department of Energy programs, such as nuclear rocket
testing in the 1960s)

Im going to try to get a recent "Area Planning - Special use Airspace to see if any areas in Utah are restrictive. The above are from a 1994 document and there are no restrictive area in Utah. Utah has been mentioned as a replacement site fror Area 51. If they have moved hopefully there will be a new restrictive area warning for some section of Utah.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join