Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

How do I know that YOU have consciousness?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Okay, here's a philosophical question I have read many times but haven't gotten a solid answer yet.

So I know that "I" have consciousness. But how do I know that YOU or any other living being on Earth/Universe also have consciousness?

Is there any way anyone can show solid proof that you have consciousness besides of saying "I know because I do!"?

How do I know that I am not the only conscious thing in the Universe and that everything is just within my mind?

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I heard a theory a while back that..before we walk into a room we have to create it. I know that sounds out there but, how do you know the room is even there? Star for you!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by yic17

How do I know that I am not the only conscious thing in the Universe and that everything is just within my mind?

Thanks.

You are the only conscious thing in the Universe.
Everyone thinks they are the center of the Universe.
And everyone is the center of the Universe because
there is only one Consciousness, the Divine Consciousness.
There are no Others,No separate beings.
Only the One Consciousness.
Separation is an Illusion you create in each moment
by seeking Oneness which is always already the case.
edit on 22-4-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by yic17

The idea is not new, and if each of us had our own little world created by our own mind.. we would never know
just enjoy the ride until the next one

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by yic17

because i am replying to this thread, which took a conscious mind to read and formulate a reply, or maybe i am replying to me who is experiencing a different prespective of life.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I was thinking about this earlier and looked up some references. I think I'm right in saying that you can't even be certain that reality as you know it exists. Everything you experience including all of us could simply be the creation of a "mind in a jar". There isn't really any way to know for sure. But if you want to assume that this reality is actually as you see it then again there is no way to prove we are conscious entities rather than clever constructs. Someone on ATS posited a slightly different view when he "imagined" someone meeting God and was told that the entire world was populated by different incarnations of himself.

If you are the only truly conscious entity the what would be the result if you were somehow copied? Exactly in every way. Would you then accept that the other you was also fully conscious?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by yic17

I've often pondered this question myself OP, sometimes I wondered if everything I see is completely made FOR me and for MY conscious.

But then I remember that the world is a big place.. things happen around the world without ever taking notice of my insignificant existence.. basically, the universe lives on when I die, as much as the universe lived on as the last guy who thought he was the center of the universe..

It's a tricky question though, how would I prove I had a conscious? Though, if someone asked to prove I have a conscious, I'd just say, "Well, if I was unconscious, I'd be passed out on the floor drooling."

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by yic17

According to the" Double Slit Theory/Experiment", matter snaps in place due to the "observer",,,therefor IMHO all that WE observe must have been "snapped" in place due to an observer,,due to the fact that there was existence, prior to our (your/my) existing,,,,

on the other hand,,, if a tree falls in the forest and no one around to hear it, does it make a sound
So if we (you/me) didnt exist does anything "exist"?

So to answer your question,,,I IMHO have no idea

Good question s&f
edit on 22-4-2011 by consigliere because: oops

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
"I think, Therefore I am" -Descartes

"Of Consciousness, her awful Mate. The Soul cannot be rid -- as easy the secreting her behind the Eyes of God." Emily Dickenson

How do I KNOW your consciousness is separate and individual?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by yic17

It seems like, when we model others, we do not give much weight to consciousness.

If your boy friend says he's going to quit smoking next week, and he has said that 100 times in the past, most likely, your model will disregard his claim to consciousness and you will presume he will continue to smoke.

link   
Anyone who can ask the question, do I exist, am I real, exists and does so eternally, in the platform of Infinity. They are not merely perception, nor are they AI, as some things are in this system.

But being perception to some extent, and a shared school made of energy waves to another extent, akin to being placed metaphorically into a television/computer system with infinite channels inwards, or a 3d story book like this, there is some room for play. ie. one can for certain periods of "time" which doesnt exist and is but a program, be in their own room in earth hotel, where everything is a perception around them, where others are on different "time" lines and you are in your own place learning something. Its just an example, probably not common, but shows what can be.

link   

How do I know that YOU have consciousness?

You dont, as a matter of fact it doesn't really matter, if someone other than yourself has one, as you can change/alter your consciousness to do as it will. So does it really matter? My consciousness tells me no.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
i have a badge that says" I have consciousness." thats my proof.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit

If our consciousness is one and connected .. then shouldn't I be able to merge into your mind and live as you? Or as anyone else that is also conscious?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by yic17

There are some scientists who believe that consciousness is a illusion in first place, which means that if that is true then no one is truly conscious.

It is definitely a interesting question.
edit on 22-4-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by yic17

Originally posted by StripedBandit

If our consciousness is one and connected .. then shouldn't I be able to merge into your mind and live as you? Or as anyone else that is also conscious?

What I think that is is empathy. Some have it more than others. Where someone can tell you a sad story and somehow you can feel what they are feeling. That's actually an interesting thought though. Hmmm.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think on a collective level we manifest our surroundings, i wouldn't necessarily say it boils down to the choices and imagination of a single individual, i believe we're all networked in a respect shaping reality by our collective perception.

If you're conscious then so are we, we're all one and the same. The same consciousness experiencing itself from the perspective of individuality.

Gosh, where did that come from?
edit on 22-4-2011 by YouDeserveToKnow because: (no reason given)
edit on 22-4-2011 by YouDeserveToKnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Infinity has some interesting hallmarks, there is never one, rather infinite ones as singularities have boundaries in locale or perception and thus would finite.

Infinity has no measurement either. So, you can't take a meaurement, for everywhere you place the dot, there is still the very same immeasurable infinity in all directions around it. The infinity within a grain of sand or atom is the same endlessness as the infinity within a star, and the same endlessness as the infinity without a grain of sand, atom or star. No bigger/smaller, higher/lower, past or future. Its all at once, and there are infinite One-1's.

We are Family, and as Light we have a Oneness but are as unique as snowflakes or stars in the sky.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I am thinking more along the lines of things like past-life memory and shared dreaming being evidence of shared/permeable consciousness.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm not sure how you can figure that one out. Others have suggested that everyone is their own parallel universe, and that might as well be true as far as I can see.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join