It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simon R. Green's "Nightside" series (if you like Dresden Files, you'll like this)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It's very similar in style, maybe a bit more dark, and a little less humor.

Basically, the main character, John Taylor, is a private eye with a psychic gift of finding things.

Nightside, is a special part of London, where it's always 3am, and Gods and monsters roam the streets, and any desires can be had, for a price.

Like Dresden, you go along with John on his cases, and share in his adventures.

They are REALLY quick addictive reads though. I've been finishing each book in about two days (and that's only reading a little throughout the day), but I'd highly recommend them to those who like this kind of thing.
edit on 22-4-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Never heard of them, but I'll keep an eye out. I enjoyed the Dresden Files TV show, so I suspect I'd like these books as well. I haven't read the Dresden Files books yet.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

The books are much better than the series. A lot more humor, a lot more action. I did enjoy the series though (and saw it after reading the books).

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The writing style is heavily influenced by Raymond Chandler's writings about the private eye's moral code. I find that interesting considerring it is set in England. It lends a heavily americanized feel to the series.

I am usually more of a fan of the early Mike Hammer (by Mickey Spillane) books, Raymond Chandler, and writers of that vein. However, the book "Something From The Nightside" is one of my favorite reads so far this year. I would put it right behind Monster Hunter International and Monster Hunter Vendeta.

A strange year for me. Sci-fi has never been very appealing in the past. Maybe I will read book one of the Dresden Files when I finish this one.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

It's very similar in style, maybe a bit more dark, and a little less humor.

Basically, the main character, John Taylor, is a private eye with a psychic gift of finding things.

Nightside, is a special part of London, where it's always 3am, and Gods and monsters roam the streets, and any desires can be had, for a price.

Like Dresden, you go along with John on his cases, and share in his adventures.

They are REALLY quick addictive reads though. I've been finishing each book in about two days (and that's only reading a little throughout the day), but I'd highly recommend them to those who like this kind of thing.
edit on 22-4-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

I agree! In fact, I think the Nightside series is vastly superior to the Dresden Files book, which are too prone to swearing, effing and blinding as I call it, whereas the Nightside books make their impact more subtly.
One of my favourite series!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Just finished the last book of this series....all great reads. He's got a few other series too. There's one series where the titles are similar to James Bond movie titles. It's been recommended to me to pick those up next, so probably going to give those a shot.

I got a friend hooked on the series also (lent him the books), and he's been going through them as fast as I did.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

Have you read Green's Secret Histories Novels? They're pretty similar (and use the same world). There are passing references to Nightside characters also. Eddie Drood (the series protagonist), is very similar to Nightside's John Taylor in many respects.

top topics

join