It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyberbrains may be closer than we think: Synthetic Synapse Created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Functioning Synapse Created Using Carbon Nanotubes: Devices Might Be Used in Brain Prostheses or Synthetic Brains

ScienceDaily (Apr. 22, 2011) — Engineering researchers the University of Southern California have made a significant breakthrough in the use of nanotechnologies for the construction of a synthetic brain. They have built a carbon nanotube synapse circuit whose behavior in tests reproduces the function of a neuron, the building block of the brain.

Not only does this bring us a HUGE step forward toward AI, but it also brings us to the edge of the realization that humans and machines will one day meld. Imagine being able to download information directly to your brain and being able to use it, connecting to the internet using only your thoughts, being able to create virtual environments where others may communicate with you, being able to instantly communicate with others via a form of electronic "telepathy".

The possibilities are essentially endless. I, for one, welcome this kind of technology. When the time comes I will embrace cybernetics as I believe it are the next logical step in human evolution.

Here's to the future!
edit on 22-4-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

So we can make a brain, clone animals, bring back dinosaurs BUT we can't cure cancer or fix problems in the U.S.A.??? Man we are so smart we are dumb!!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
oh im sure we CAN do those things, theres just no money in curing cancer, there's money in looking for a cure though.. and theres money in selling cybernetics to rich ass old people..

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

The longer sick people live, the more money the corporations get.
Why cure diseases if it keeps the $$ flowing.

That said, this is a pretty cool leap forward.
edit on 22-4-2011 by Demoncreeper because: for adding a positive aspect. Eliminate grouchyness....

link   
We will see you, in 30 years, Skynet!

link   
Can we discuss the topic please?

I didn't put this thread up so you guys can complain about why there's no cancer cure, or who gets cybernetics. This is a scientific discussion in a scientific forum. Please post accordingly.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I wonder if the cyber ones will react like in this film. youtu.be... I suppose this industry will boom because people will need cyber ones like this because they will be able to do things we humans can not. Maybe they could become workers in space without suits and build huge space wheels/space stations or ships. I have no objections as of yet for this tech. Maybe my soul or thoughts can be transferred into one of these things and i can live indefinately. Who knows.

edit on 22-4-2011 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

I was thinking it would be closer to Ghost in the Shell:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Reading your post reminded me of something Kaku said on tv about AI. He made a comment about Humans ending up more machine than Man. (I'm sorry but I really can't remember what the programme was called).
The whole concept of creating an artificial Brain and implanting AI into the Brain, even downloading information is incredibly fascinating. Not that the masses will benefit from such things though.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I wonder how far advanced we are in this, probably more than we will admitt because of the implications involved. Maybe they have a full human cyborg in space now building huge space posts and are hiding them on google earth right now, or calling some of the places just annomaly's. Gee, i have quite the immagination.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The wonders of nano technology, possible almost living forever? But then again, why would anyone want to. A manufactured evolution, the possibilities.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I might like the fact, the whole sci fi to fiction background and the helping of people with brain issues. But cannot ignore the fact that there's an open gateway to brain hacking, much like how it works on computers, but worse because you are alive.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

That reminds me a lot of the Ghost in the Shell series, where brain hacking was a common occurrence. I fear that if we had this tech, this would be a genuine issue, one that isn't solved easily. I mean, could you imagine, minding your own business, and all the sudden some one can control your body? Not fun.

new topics

top topics

join