It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what if civilization collapses? It could be good!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It seems everywhere I look and everyone around is biting their nails about the end of civilization or the world coming. A lot of this is probably due to someone mistaking a Mayan guy running out of ink for an end of the world prediction. Some is hype, some is just the fact that people always think the world is ending...

About 30 CE: The Christian Scriptures (New Testament), when interpreted literally, appear to record many predictions by Yeshua of Nazareth (Jesus Christ) that God's Kingdom would arrive within a very short period, or was actually in the process of arriving. For example, Jesus is recorded as saying in Matthew 16:28: "...there shall be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." In Matthew 24:34, Yeshua is recorded as saying: "...This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." Since the life expectancy in those days was little over 30 years, Jesus appears to have predicted his second coming sometime during the 1st century CE. It didn't happen

Or there is always..

500 CE: This was the first year-with-a-nice-round-number-panic. The antipope Hippolytus and an earlier Christian academic Sextus Julius Africanus had predicted Armageddon at about this year.

This one is interesting...

1669: The Old Believers in Russia believed that the end of the world would occur in this year. 20 thousand burned themselves to death between 1669 and 1690 to protect themselves from the Antichrist.

Here is another neat planetary alignment one:

1919: Meteorologist Albert Porta predicted that the conjunction of 6 planets would generate a magnetic current that would cause the sun to explode and engulf the earth on DEC-17.

Sources were all here and there are plenty more Failed end time predicitons

Ok so we see lots have people have been wrong, but its different now! Things are going downhill fast and we're all doomed!

Okay, this may be, I can't say it won't. But if it is true couldn't some good come of it? What if it makes the world a better place? What if it ushers in a new era of human tolerance and cooperation?

It's like going to the dentist, it sucks but after a little while it was well worth it!

It is fun to sit around and discuss possibilities, it is fun to imagine the end times, but lets not get too wrapped up in it, and don't forget to also imagine the good!

I leave you with this, and don't forget it! :

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Certainly would give us time to think.

Hmmm. Where did we go wrong?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
People on ATS complain about the elites keeping all the good stuff for themselves and leaving us in the dark, but at the end of the day they want the same thing. They want their comfortable lives, their luxuries, and to remain indifferent to the suffering of the less fortunate. Point being, even if the collapse of civilization would mean a better and more peaceful world, nobody will agree with you because if it happened, they wouldn't be able to watch American Idol anymore.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well, for the current society today collapse is necessary. The social conditioning is too strong for a radical change in mental thinking, en mass. Be it a catastrophe, natural or economically, or a prophecy, the most important decision we make in human history will be directly proceeding such an event.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Im looking forward to the end, surviving it anyway, also depending, anything but a nuclear incident

I can deal with a tsunami/tidal wave hitting US east coast, because by time it reached here, i would already be in the Appalachian Mtns. thanx to ATS being ahead on things by at least an hour

Then i will start my own tribe with the men doing the hunting and building, and the village defense will be half-naked sword swinging babes, oh yeah, good times. Gonna need guns also, unfortunately.

link   
reply to post by christof94

Ha! That is an excellent point!

All the people complaining about TPTB hoarding everything to themselves then turn around ad complain about the globalist agenda that will take away our American luxuries to distribute wealth to other poor places in the world to people who are by accounts working just as hard if not harder. This really is a bit hypocritical.

People won't agree with me because I am being practical. The world probably will not end, and if civilization does collapse it would be because it was broken and needs to be rebuilt.

link   
Well it's coming... This isn't necessarily a bad thing and is in alignment with strong evolutionary forces. This planet and humanity are moving past these outdated systems of suppression and enslavement; reality is already deconstructing. We are going places, baby... but like said in the Bible 'They bought, sold, and traded up until the last days.'

I just wish people could get a grip on things and abandon silly pursuits like college, especially so some fine ass women would become more available. A college won't mean jack in 2 years. Period. Damn... I hate seeing the youth being sucked into such institutions. Glad I took a different route, but it has it's drawbacks!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I say let it all end. Someone hit the reset button. Nothing I mean nothing makes sense! The world is rampant with Greed, conformity, complacency, apathy, and conniving people.

I want off this damn rock! .... damn I need to smoke.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

I'm not sure college is useless, I do think it's value is mis-stated. College is important to teach people classical thought, to learn in a structured way about the knowledge we as a species have so far gathered, to open one's horizons, and most importantly to assist with teaching people how to research and learn for the rest of their lives.

It will be valuable in 2 years, in 10 years and even in 100 years because learning is not only fun it is fundamental (ha ha).

No matter the what happens to civilization it will be the learning we do that allows us to grow on the lessons of our past and work cooperatively towards a future.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon102
I say let it all end. Someone hit the reset button. Nothing I mean nothing makes sense! The world is rampant with Greed, conformity, complacency, apathy, and conniving people.

I want off this damn rock! .... damn I need to smoke.

It all makes sense! Look closer. People are doing what they feel is best in a world where they were brought up to believe what is best for them takes precedence over what is best for humanity in the long term.

This will correct itself. It is what nature does. Be patient.

Want off the rock? Are you inclined to run when faced with a challenge? That makes you no better than those you hate. Stand up for what you believe and challenge those who oppose you!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Ok, that sounds all fine and dandy.

Yet, there are big things on the horizon, much bigger than anything a college professor teaches nor knows. These have to do with natural cycles of the universe and evolution of consciousness. Drastic evolution.

There is much more to this reality than perceived. College is merely an institution to promote severe left brain activity and steer people into limited paradigms. Though, I admit, it is quintessential in this modern world. Still, it can be thought of as an artificial matrix.

It is especially harmful to women, who are by nature, more open to the universe and intuitive matters. If your aware of the difference between the left and right brain, it is like comparing a typewriter to a digital scanner. That itself is a poor comparison, as we are infinite beings by nature.

In two years there will be no more academia. This planet and humanity is about to change radically.

Of course, this was gained through independent thinking, meditation, intuition and fringe research. Let's see if it holds true. People seem to understand something is coming...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Good for who?

Not sure about you, but I like:

Air Conditioning
Being able to just go buy food (instead of hunt or grow it)
Television
Movies
Video Games
Lights (Electricity)
Having a car (and the freedom of travel)
The ability to take a cruise or flight
The safety of Police, Ambulances, and Fire Departments (and the Military)

Without civilization, we'd have none of these things.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Civilizations have disappeared and failed hundreds of times since mankind came out of the caves and stood erect.

It is actually a process when man pushes the limit on how many people can sustain themselves in a society.

The societal pressures just causes civility to collapse.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Good for who?

Not sure about you, but I like:

Air Conditioning
Being able to just go buy food (instead of hunt or grow it)
Television
Movies
Video Games
Lights (Electricity)
Having a car (and the freedom of travel)
The ability to take a cruise or flight
The safety of Police, Ambulances, and Fire Departments (and the Military)

Without civilization, we'd have none of these things.

If it all collapses those things won't be gone for long (if at all) because we will rebuild!

Look on the bright side of life!

Here is my whole point, if Civilization did collapse and things went completely bad we could in theory lose all these things forever and be wandering about with stone tools and have a 30 year life expectancy. BUT I think we should look at the positive too...

Your air conditioning could be getting run on renewable non-polluting power sources
The food you buy could be healthier and non-GMO
Your television could have better programming and a clearer signal
Your Movies could all have naked women in them ... (okay maybe thats just better for me)
Your video games could all be as good as Star Craft
Your lights could be brighter and offer a sunlight Kelvin rating
Your Car could run on hydrogen, be 10 times as fast and 20 times as safe as today
You could get on plane without a free grope from a fat man
The police could be friendlier and only enforce important laws, the Ambulances could be faster and better, the fire department could have less to do because of improved building materials and vehicles...

All these things could happen if something terrible happened that forced humanity to unite and focus on improving as opposed to bickering among ourselves.

I know it isn't likely but neither is a chain reaction of natural disasters that blow out our infrastructure.

new topics

top topics

join