It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 Missing, 3 Dead: Landslide hits Philippines on Good Friday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

At least three people killed and 40 missing after a landslide hits a remote gold mining village.

At least three people have been killed and scores of others are missing after a landslide caused by heavy rains hit a mining area in the southern Philippines. The disaster hit Kingking village near Pantukan town in Compostela valley province on the island of Mindanao just before dawn on Friday, burying people under mud, rocks and rubble, officials said.

SOURCE

Saw this on the news this morning,
I was surprised this wasn’t on ATS yet

edit on 4/22/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Seems to be one disaster after another...

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of the village of Kingking...
Hopefully the fatality/causality count does not increase!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hey Evoleric I would think this report would get more attention but sadly I guess most us think about own corner of the world. Right now there are more floods and landslides around the world then ever it seems. Here are a few examples but the list is to long..very sad indeed..when we add the landslides and flooding happening here in U.S it makes one wonder what is causing all of this unprecedented weather? Why are we not getting answers about this? Everyday it's some random mumbo jumbo from scientists with a theory that lasts until the next theory..if the people of the world could coordinate the destruction into one database perhaps then we could an answer and work towards a possible solution, if their is one to be had..Thank you for the post SnF your bud coco

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dbdf698ca2e5.jpg[/atsimg]

Bogota. Thursday 21 of April 2011- The Colombian authorities elevated today to red the alert one on coastal populations of five departments through which it passes the Magdalena river, that in the last hours registered swellings superiors to 1.75 meters, the Direction informed into Management of Risk, employee of the Justice and Department of the Interior. This soon takes place the authorities of the department of Santander (northeast) ordered in the last hours the preventive evacuation of at least 6,000 inhabitants of small villages near the Sogamoso river, because its volume has grown unusually.
Link: caracas.eluniversal.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0a463348a9cd.jpg[/atsimg]

KOTA KINABALU: Fifty-four people from three villages were evacuated from their homes as flood waters surged in the southwest Beaufort district, about 80km from here.
Link:thestar.com.my.../2010/12/20/nation/7653931

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de4bc0c75437.jpg[/atsimg]

Liputan6.com, Rantau Prapat: The rain continued in the District Labuhan Batu, North Sumatra, causing overflow of the River Bar on Sunday (4/17) night. This surge caused hundreds of homes, especially along the river submerged. Worst flood hit village in District Sennah Pangkatan with water levels reaching two meters.
Link:berita.liputan6.com...

If any of this has been posted before I will link back to the Op, I did a search on the areas listed above and didn't find anything..coco
edit on 22-4-2011 by itscocobaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Panganason, Kingking village, Pantukan town, in Mindanao's Compostela Valley

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd4b47f8ae76.jpg[/atsimg]

"Our rescue efforts are concentrated on a collapsed mine in the area where five miners were reportedly trapped as voices were reportedly heard from the shaft. It is possible that the victims are still alive," Ligayo said, adding they were bracing for the worst.
Link:en.trend.az...

An aerial view of a shanty town buried by a landslide in a mining area in Kingking village of Pantukan town [Reuters]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9f6b4e665c7.jpg[/atsimg]
Link:english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Very sad. I join fellow ATS members in sending positive thoughts and prayers and maintaining concern for those needing rescue. It feels kind of inadequate to be able to do only that. While it is interesting from a remote perspective to see nature in action in a general way, it is horrible to realize behind every headline and long distance photo there are real people and animals suffering.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by itscocobaby

Hey Evoleric I would think this report would get more attention but sadly I guess most us think about own corner of the world. Right now there are more floods and landslides around the world then ever it seems. Here are a few examples but the list is to long..very sad indeed..when we add the landslides and flooding happening here in U.S it makes one wonder what is causing all of this unprecedented weather? Why are we not getting answers about this? Everyday it's some random mumbo jumbo from scientists with a theory that lasts until the next theory..if the people of the world could coordinate the destruction into one database perhaps then we could an answer and work towards a possible solution, if their is one to be had..Thank you for the post SnF your bud coco

I agree my friend, I seen this on my local news... and I looked on ATS and ATS didnt have it... that was a first!!!
I learned about something happening on the News first...
I suppose your right... actually I know you are... I try to keep an open mind, open heart and a "worldly" mindset... I'm wedged in between two hills, so I dont have a view... and way off in the distance I can see another house...but thats way off! so realizing the world is a big place is a task... but i try to everyday! I try to think of what others are going through on the other side of the planet... Everytime I hear about a disaster and loss of life 6,000 miles away, I try to put myself in their shoes... the people effected by said disasters, are human like me... they had hopes and dreams... I try to understand it as if i were there... but even I fall short... so I guess its just human?

Scientist... make me sick! I love science, don't get me wrong... but 95% of science is theories/hypotheses aka a guess... Well I can guess with the best of them! ...the only difference between me and them... I just a simple hillbilly who doesnt know their fancy words...

but I must say Coco, your contribution to this thread was far greater than mine, Stars for you!!! Thank you my friend for dropping in and helping make this thread more informative

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Everytime I hear about a disaster and loss of life 6,000 miles away, I try to put myself in their shoes... the people effected by said disasters, are human like me... they had hopes and dreams... I try to understand it as if i were there

This my friend is what makes you so Special! What a lovely person you are, you always see both sides of an issue and I have seen you stand up and speak up for others. It's what I admire about you the most!

I think this is an important thread to keep going and if it's okay with you I have more to add..because someday and it may not be to far off in the future it could be anyone of us Cheers bud coco

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17d7bd0c83d7.jpg[/atsimg]

LIMA, April 20 (Xinhua) -- The level of the Amazonas River in Peru in the last few weeks has increased from its normal level of 110.42 meters above sea to 117 meters and are threatening to flood the southern Iquitos region, Peru's Regional National Defense Office said on Wednesday. Iquitos regional defense chief Robert Falcon said the level is expected to reach 117.46 meters this week, surpassing the river's critical level of 117 meters registered last week and prompting authorities to issue an alert for the risk of flooding. Flooding has already been reported in the San Juan, Belen and Punchana municipalities where many houses are affected, Falcon said, while the government of the Maynas province has declared a state of emergency for the town of Iquitos. This will allow prioritizing aid for the affected people in their temporary settlements. In the Maynas municipality, the floods have affected more than 5,264 people, 10 roads and 270 houses, while 130 families had to be evacuated.

Link: www.chinadaily.com.cn...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc58f5ed3e5e.jpg[/atsimg]

Queensland's UPDATE April 24, 2011 10.35pm: THE lights will go off in the Brisbane CBD tomorrow morning in a power shutdown of a magnitude not seen since the 1974 floods.

The Bremer River was rising by about a metre an hour this afternoon, and was at 12.25m at 4pm (AEST).

The emergency comes as authorities confirmed 10 people have died in Queensland's flood crisis in the past 24 hours. Nine people have died in the flash-flood hit areas of Toowoomba and the nearby Lockyer Valley.

The 10th victim, a four-year-old boy, fell out of a boat and was swept away in floodwaters at Marburg, west of Ipswich today.
A further 78 people are missing in the Lockyer Valley, and grave fears are held for 18.

Link: www.heraldsun.com.au...
For any members who are looking for information worldwide on flooding this is the mack daddy of em all!

Helpful source: www.gdacs.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

This my friend is what makes you so Special! What a lovely person you are, you always see both sides of an issue and I have seen you stand up and speak up for others. It's what I admire about you the most!

I wanna thank you for your kind words

And yes, you have my permission/consent to add to this thread
I have learned a lot from your posts!

I had no idea that the current world wide flooding was a bad as it is...

entire towns being swept away... and what is that piece of equipment, a Grader? Those are heavy!!
That shear power in those waters... you can do anything against it! it will over power everything!

Have the Australian floods ceased this year?!

Makes you think though, and yeah your right... could be any of us, next

Life is fragile! Do what you can to help others, and live your life to its extent, live your life to be happy and dont make anyone miserable, cos its too fragile.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Have the Australian floods ceased this year?!

No they are going strong..and in many places like Vietnam for example the water is not receding. Are places like the Philippines sinking? or is Sea level rising?

I had no idea that the current world wide flooding was a bad as it is...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6147b66e939e.jpg[/atsimg]
Link: articles.cnn.com...:US
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f5450e3c736.jpg[/atsimg]
Link: abclocal.go.com.../local&id=8088772
Ntl. Weather Service increases tornado count if you need to search it..I don't think they allow linking

Photo Above April 16, 2011 Colerain, N.C RALEIGH -- Meteorologists with the National Weather Service have been working to confirm all the reported sightings of tornados last Saturday. They've now confirmed at least 28. That's a single-day record for the state of North Carolina.

And this just begs the question why is this happening? I know out in your neck of the woods that tornado's, damaging hail and high winds are at an unprecedented high..with an EF4 ripping through concourse B in Missouri and leaving 750 homes damaged beyond repair, those people are now homeless.. hopefully you are not affected by them and my thoughts and prayers are with you and people around the world..be safe my friend coco
edit on 24-4-2011 by itscocobaby because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-4-2011 by itscocobaby because: spelling

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

We actually dodged a bit of a bullet here this evening, a severe storm came through and missed us by 6 miles...
all we got was a little rain... no Tornado's from what i've heard... but wind gusts up to 50 miles... did some damage..
nothing like depicted above... but when we don't usually get weather like that... typically 2-4 storms a year are "bad" here... but its been one after another lately!!!

I'm not worried cos my area is very well protected by the hills... but those areas that aren't... scary

No they are going strong..and in many places like Vietnam for example the water is not receding. Are places like the Philippines sinking? or is Sea level rising?

Have you heard of the Zeta Prophecy regarding the sinking of the Philippines? I'm not much in prophecies really... don't get me wrong, I love reading them... but its interesting none the less... not sure if I wanna "buy" into it...

but this LINK is in regards to the sinking of the Philippines

Thanks my friend for your further contribution!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Whew..I'm so glad you dodged that storm! glad to know you and your family and your town are protected by the Mountains..that's very comforting to know.

Have you heard of the Zeta Prophecy regarding the sinking of the Philippines? I'm not much in prophecies really... don't get me wrong, I love reading them... but its interesting none the less... not sure if I wanna "buy" into it...

I have heard of the Zetas and zetatalk.com that's where I got the link for the Global Flood Detection System. What I like about the blog is their are so many people watching and reporting on zetatalk of world wide disasters like flooding. Makes it much easier to keep track of whats going on in different parts of the world. I'm not sure how I feel about Nancy Leider's claim that she channels information from the Zeta's, I'm still skeptical about it but keeping an open mind because as time has gone on the claims seem to make sense more than they used to. I read it..and keep what makes sense and take the rest with a grain of salt. I guess if what they say happens then shame on me for not listening! I just don't have enough evidence as of yet to buy into all of it.

That's really why I came to ATS was to get more information and to learn and listen to what other people are saying. If people are skeptical of an idea or if their is evidence of something.. people here seem to know and they do their homework, this gives me a starting point on my own research. So zetatalk is resource I use to gather information..and sometimes it's entertaining too
cheers my friend coco

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5965078f2d0.jpg[/atsimg]
Photo by David Frank Dempsey

Bella Vista firefighter, Greg Mills, left, points to flood damage to the Arkansas Highway 340 Bridge over Tanyard Creek shortly before it was closed to traffic in Bella Vista, Monday, April 25, 2011. The decision to close the bridge was made by the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department which sent crews to work on the bridge shortly after its closing.

Heavy rain and flooding prompted Benton County Judge Bob Clinard to declare the county a disaster area today. “We have issued a verbal declaration and will be making a written declaration,” Clinard said. “We’ve got up to 40-some roads closed, three bridges washed out and multiple roads cut where water has washed over them and culverts have washed out.”

Link: www.arkansasonline.com...
******************************************************************************************************************
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54a84195614a.jpg[/atsimg]

North Bend, Ohio
Jonny Hein Jr. cleans debris off of his sister’s boat dock at the North Bend Boat Club in North Bend, Ohio Monday, April 25, 2011. Hein says the water has never been that high. The boat club is supposed to open this weekend for the beginning of the season, but it will remain closed until the water level drops. (AP Photo/The Enquirer, Meg Vogel)
Link: www.weather.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aed2586c9d98.jpg[/atsimg]
Photo the Weather Channel

Poplar Bluff, Missouri: Levee Breaches From Flooding, More Evacuations Planned POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- A levee keeping a swollen river from inundating a southeast Missouri town cracked in at least one place Tuesday, but water pouring through the breech was unlikely to force the further mass-evacuation of homes in the area, authorities said.

Link: www.huffingtonpost.com...
**********************************************************************************************************************************

Governor Quinn Activates Illinois National Guard Troops for Flood Assistance

Visits State Emergency Operations Center

SPRINGFIELD – April 26, 2011. Governor Pat Quinn today activated the Illinois National Guard to support flood-fighting and life safety missions in southern Illinois. The initial activation includes up to 125 Guardsmen who are deploying to Marion to assist the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) with emergency response planning. Additional troops may be activated if needed.

“The Illinois National Guard is a valuable asset to the state during disasters,” said Governor Quinn. “During the February snow storm, the men and women of the Guard helped save many lives and I am very grateful for their assistance during the flooding.”

“The Illinois National Guard fully supports Governor Quinn’s activation of our Guardsmen for flood relief,” said Maj. Gen. William Enyart, Illinois National Guard Adjutant General. “These Guardsmen are fully trained and motivated to assist in this mission to ensure Illinois citizens are safe from harm’s way. As always, we stand ready to answer the call for additional support if needed.”

Link: capitolfax.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Hey Coco,

got a lil something to share.

After a storm that knocked down this tree, blew in... I woke around 11pm (4-24-2011) and was having a cigarette outside the wind was something fierce! I walked inside to get a cup of coffee... and BAM it started kicking into overdrive... my trailer shook and I walked to my door... you couldnt see 5 foot in front of you... it lasted for about 30 seconds... and it was gone... no rain, no wind for the next few hours... oddly and thankfully enough this tree is the only thing damaged (to the best of my knowledge) in my area... I took some pictures... best I could as I was very busy clearing the tree out of the road.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d45e0f27822.jpg[/atsimg]
This was a Beech Tree. It was massive... snapped like a twig! It covered the road entirely.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ba155e48ca3.jpg[/atsimg]
My Father and I usually are first responders to any downed trees in my area... its not our "job" but we like helping out... We don't want people trapped, most roads around here are one way. We set out to clear the road, while clearing it the state workers showed up and assisted... my father is located center dressed in blue, holding a chainsaw

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e1f1a95f3b45.jpg[/atsimg]
This picture might give a better perspective of the size of this tree...took the photo after my Father and I clear the road enough for vehicles to pass.

edit on 4/28/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Hey Eric..WOW! how nuts is that?? I'm sorry for the late reply I was at my sister's wedding in CO. I just got back tonight..that is a crazy story! What do you think it was? A small tornado? That is one BIG tree to be taken down..catch ya laters and really glad that you and yours are okay!! coco

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Feature Article of Thursday, 5 May 2011

Columnist: GNA
The rains are here again, floods anticipated
Link: www.ghanaweb.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d8c17425f675.jpg[/atsimg]

Floods in 2007 and 2010 resulted in the destruction of school buildings, farms, homes and the loss of lives and the displacement of thousands of others. Livestock were not left out.

A report from the government showed that about 332,600 people were affected and caused the death of 56 people. Some 35,000 houses, 1,500 kilometres of road and hectares of crops were destroyed and the government called for international assistance.

Visit the link for the full article

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Link: www.dailytimes.com.pk.../05/05/story_5-5-2011_pg7_28

3 coastal townships facing threat of erosion

Staff Report

QUETTA: Three major coastal townships of Balochistan—Damb, Gadani and Pishokan—are facing serious threats of complete erosion as a result of global warming.

This was disclosed by Balochistan International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Manager, Zabardast Khan Bangash, while briefing a group of journalists and columnists at the Provincial IUCN Headquarters on Wednesday.

He explained in detail the factors responsible for global warming, saying that the sea level was increasing and high tides at the Lasbela and Makran Coast had lashed the human settlements of Damb, Gadani and Pishokan. Extensive damage had been caused by sea erosion, and he said the high tides had caused major damage to the property, mainly houses and commercial establishments of the citizens for the past many years.

Khan said that Pasni was also facing a similar threat where the twin menace of rising high tides and silt from the navigational channel of the Fish Harbour had been blocked from knocking down an entire complex.

The IUCN manager said that the heavy rains and floods of last year were also a part of the global warming and climate change inflicting an economic loss of over $10 billion in all the four provinces of Pakistan. He said the melting of a glacier and landsliding had created the Attabad Lake, which had threatened to destroy everything between the lake and the Mangla and Tarbela Dams.

The Khinjer Lake in Sindh, the habitat of birds from all over the world, mainly from Siberia, was now highly polluted destroying the habitat of valuable birds, Khan added. He blamed climate change to the frequent cyclones in Pakistan, floods, heavy rains and landsliding in parts of the country. The IUCN manager recalled prolonged drought of several years in Balochistan and nature had not compensated it with matching rains.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

LOL Funny that I live here in the Philippines and never even knew a landslide occurred. Weird how the news works.
I guess I should pay more attention.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

That is odd that some Hillbilly 4000 miles (give or take)
Knew about it and you didnt and it happened in your own back yard...

Yeah... As you can tell from all the links Coco has posted from all corners of the world
No matter where you live... you better start paying attention

But I am glad you are safe where you are Snowen,
and that this didnt effect you and yours

top topics

<<   2 >>

join