It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People in the Middle East grasp extreme religion because.........

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   

You don't really know until you are out there and you see it for yourself. The reason so many people in that part of the world grasp hardcore religion is because, simply, they don't have anything.

Not so...and yes, I've lived there.

The reason they are so fervent is simply this. EVERYTHING in their daily lives does, and has always, center around religion. They've been under theocratic rule for eons (and of course, monarchies supported by the clergy). Unlike many other religions, Islam governs almost every aspect of their daily lives (Judhism is another such example)... How many Christian societies do you know of where EVERYONE stops numerous times during the day for organized prayer?

This is the reason for the fanaticism. It's because religion isn't just a PART of their lives...it IS their lives. This is why most in the West cannot grasp their outlook. This is what allows the militants within the Islamic faith to recruit others to their cause. All they need is some charisma to direct that fanaticism that is inherent to their recruits.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
RANT:

You asked what would R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean ("Jeeezzzuzz")do?

Read the Titilus Crimes List above the cross as reported in the Gospels: Yehoshua the Nazir (branch of David, read Zechariah chapter 5) King of the Judaeans:

Reflect that this man was arrested and summarilly executed for armed sedition against Rome (and technically breach of Lex Maiestatis against the Majesty of the reigning Emperor the Divine Tiberius, the No King but Caesar Law) by arming his disciples with swords in a coup attempt against Roman authorities on the hill.

Or do you imagine for a moment that the slave of the high priest's ear was cut off with...a butter knife left over from the Last Supper?

Does that answer your question?

Here are some of the words that have come down to us in the gospel pericopes:

"These be the Days of Vengeance of our god (a direct quote from the WAR SCROLL of the Dead Sea Scrolls) ...Let he who hath an outer tunic this night sell it in the marketplace now, and purchase a sword immediately....For behold the Times of Gentiles is fulfilled (i.e. the 100 year old Roman Occupation in AD 36)...The Kingdom of God is approaching: Repent, Prepare and Believe the Good News ! Do you think the Son of man was sent to bring Peace on the Land [of Israel]? Think Again. Amen, Amen, the Son of Man came NOT to bring Peace upon the land: but to bring a Sword.

He did not come to bring Harmony, but Division. To set 3 against 2 and 2 against 3 in the same house, to set mohter in law against daughter in law, and father in law against son in law--so that a man's enemies be they of his own family..."

So that gives you an idea of "what would Jesus do...."

Sounds a little like Osama bin Laden to me...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Oh man, you just compared Jesus to Osama....this should be fun....

*sits down with some popcorn*

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
"The reason they are so fervent is simply this. EVERYTHING in their daily lives does, and has always, center around religion."

I agree but they have engulfed themselves in this religion for so long due to, I believe, lack of any representation or democracy.

One of life's greatest ironies......mesopotamia is supposed to be the cradle of life where it all began yet, the people in the region live like it's the 1400's. You would think this region would be the most advanced yet is the most left behind.

[edit on 29-7-2004 by BANGINCOLOR]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
People follow religions for the feeling of power it gives them. In my studies of religiuon, it is allmost always those who are marginilized who take to religion, and these religions are controlled by those in real power, be it political, wealth, or social power.

It truly is the opiate of the masses. Of course, Marx never watched TV!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Good analysis, Gazrok.

Here's an excellent article discussing the crazies on both sides.

For the record, I:

1. Am a Christian who believes in end time prophecies. But I DO NO support the zealotry that now passes for mainstream Christianity. I think the zealots who support Bush are lost and are out of their minds.

2. believe that the jihadists and End-Time zealots are both used by the Zionists and Neo Conservatives who make massive profits off of the division they promote.

3. believe al-CIAda was created and funded by the CIA and Pakistani ISI. Why? Because after the cold war we no longer had an external enemy. Not good for the military/industrial complex. An excellent site for research on this is: www.cooperativeresearch.org...

4. do not sit around praying for Armageddon to come. Frankly, the idea of it should scare us all. There will be no turning back for those who remain. (And yes, I do believe in the rapture of the church. Flame me if you want. If anything, I pray that we can come to some kind of rational process to bring peace and stability to Israel and the Palestinians. I think a Palestinian state is the only answer at this point. Although I believe prophecy when it sez there will never be peace in Israel, I reject the notion that we should stop trying! God has given us freewill. As long as he tarries (trying to harvest every last soul), we have an obligation to seek peace. Our current bellicose foreign policy should scream to the myriad Christians who support Bush that he is a complete fraud - on every level.

Here's the article I mentioned:

Jesus, Jihadis, and the Red-State Blues
By Steve Weissman
t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Thursday 29 July 2004

In this week of John Kerry's nomination, we should all give President Bush his due. Iraq boils up in his face. Over half his fellow Americans now think his war wrong-footed, if not pig-headed. Spies and other professional observers openly confirm what a few of us amateurs warned from the start, that American troops in Iraq give bin Laden an unbeatable banner to recruit his suicidal Fools of God. And from within Washington's most secret places, loose lips let slip how Team Bush consistently misled the American people about everything from Saddam's weapons to how the United States tortures captives around the world while observing "the spirit of the Geneva Conventions." Yet the stalwart Mr. Bush soldiers on, bravely telling the same tall tales, now about Iran as well as Iraq.

Critics accuse him of lying: I fear worse. Either Mr. Bush still believes the intoxicating fables that Iraqi exiles fed to Cheney, Rumsfeld, and the neo-conservative crapologists, or else he feels no need to get facts straight as long as he does the Lord's Work. Having followed his "higher Father" into a faith-based war in Iraq, the poor Prophet Bush now casts his eye across the Euphrates, waiting for Revelation and listening to Iranian expatriates, some of whom work with the shadowy spies of Gen. Sharon.

Ah, Babylon. We are, it would seem, approaching the End Time, for which millions of American Christians fervently pray. The Israelites have rebuilt their kingdom, as prophesied, and Jesus will soon return to earth, where He will raise his believers bodily into the heavens in what they call the Rapture.
www.truthout.org...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BANGINCOLOR

I agree but they have engulfed themselves in this religion for so long due to, I believe, lack of any representation or democracy.

This is a perfect example of the Western world trying to impose its values on people who have completely different values. Take Iraq, for example, they are ruled by tribalism NOT Democracy. That's how it's been for the ages. In the early twentieth century, the Brits tried to do what we're doing and they failed miserably.

I'm not attacking you Bangincolor. Just using what you said to point out a common fallacy.

One of life's greatest ironies......mesopotamia is supposed to be the cradle of life where it all began yet, the people in the region live like it's the 1400's. You would think this region would be the most advanced yet is the most left behind.

What country could withstand the ravages of modern war and economic isolation as long as Iraq has and not be the way they currently are? NONE. Before the Persian Gulf War, Iraq was a thriving and educated country. In Saudi Arabia, many, many people still do live in centuries past. The reasons differ. Some are nomadic peoples and many are indeed, wretchedly poor. If you have money and you live in a city, though, it's very modern. (With the exception of their religion.) I've seen sheiks flying through Dammam (eastern coastal city in Saudi) in their Arabian regalia, driving BMW's. What a sight to see! Flying in a helicopter, I've also seen a man driving the camel he rode as fast as he could over the sand dunes in - truly - the middle of nowhere.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
"This is a perfect example of the Western world trying to impose its values on people who have completely different values."

That's because that is ALL they have ever known. And it's their way of life that's f$%kin up our way of life. You don't get all of this "successfull" terrorism without help from the general public. You think if a couple guys from the KKK started abducting/video taping/beheading blacks somewhere in the USA, that would last very long? We all know it wouldn't and so do they, THAT'S WHY THEY DON'T DO IT!!! Al queda does what it does because they know they can get away with it!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

And yes, I do believe in the rapture of the church

Then hopefully you are a virgin male, and a descendent of one of the 12 tribes of Isreal, because if you're not, you're number 144,001 at BEST, hehe...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Reasons for Muslims following extreme Islam.

Poverty - no hope for the future

Illiteracy / poor education - they don't know anything else.

Gullibility - they are suckers for emotive messages, how many ranting, shoe throwing protests have you seen whipped up by radical mullahs.

A chip on their shoulder - the west is better and they know it.

Wanting to return to their past - as the present hasn't worked out for them

Really, Islam, and its proponets have been likened to Christians during the middle ages, similar thinking, similar suckers for calls to emotion, similar rationalizing of brutality and inhumanity....

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Reasons for Muslims following extreme Islam.

Poverty - no hope for the future

Illiteracy / poor education - they don't know anything else.

Gullibility - they are suckers for emotive messages, how many ranting, shoe throwing protests have you seen whipped up by radical mullahs.

A chip on their shoulder - the west is better and they know it.

Wanting to return to their past - as the present hasn't worked out for them

Really, Islam, and its proponets have been likened to Christians during the middle ages, similar thinking, similar suckers for calls to emotion, similar rationalizing of brutality and inhumanity....

Suckers for calls to emotion? How about "Saddam Hussein's rape rooms, torture prisons, killing fields, and blatant aggression on his neighbors, combined with WMDs that he plans to use on America, and his support of 9/11 terrorists. We don't want the smoking gun to turn into a mushroom cloud?"

lol

Back during the American Revolution, when colonists were getting all up in arms, I bet the British thought we were ignorant peasants who couldn't see rationale. Such is the difference in worldview between a population that's content and a population that's struggling.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
There's nothing wrong with religion. It's the fanatics in every movement that are the problem. Be they Muslims, Evangelical Christians, Catholics, Sihks, whatever. None of them should be allowed to hold the reigns of power. They've proven that.

Ergo, neither then should the current US president, an extreme fundamentalist who believes the apocalyptic rot.

Interesting that he's overseeing the congress "spending like there's no tomorrow," reversing republicans' conservativism and turning them into fiscal liberals!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeon10101110

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
There's nothing wrong with religion. It's the fanatics in every movement that are the problem. Be they Muslims, Evangelical Christians, Catholics, Sihks, whatever. None of them should be allowed to hold the reigns of power. They've proven that.

Ergo, neither then should the current US president, an extreme fundamentalist who believes the apocalyptic rot.

Interesting that he's overseeing the congress "spending like there's no tomorrow," reversing republicans' conservativism and turning them into fiscal liberals!

Yeah but Uncle Cheney said that "Reagan proved that defecits don't matter," so everything's ok, right?

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amadeus
RANT:

Or do you imagine for a moment that the slave of the high priest's ear was cut off with...a butter knife left over from the Last Supper?

So even body parts of the high priest, like his ears had slaves?!?!?

Slave to the ear... lol

I do get what you mean im just having fun with semantics.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join