It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico wants to sue U.S. gun makers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

CBS News has learned that the Mexican Government has retained an American law firm to explore filing civil charges against U.S. gun manufacturers and distributors over the flood of guns crossing the border into Mexico.

Sources say Mexico's frustration with U.S. efforts to stop the flow of weapons has pushed them into this novel approach. The law firm is looking at charges that may include civil RICO. The contract was signed on November 2, 2010 by a representative of Mexico's Attorney General, at their Washington embassy.

On November 5, 2010 President Felipe Calderon expressed his frustration to CBS News correspondent Peter Greenberg: "We seized more than 90,000 weapons...I am talking like 50,000 assault weapons, AR-15 machine guns, more than 8,000 grenades and almost 10 million bullets. Amazing figures and according to all those cases, the ones we are able to track, most of these are American weapons."

Rest of story

Where can I buy one of those mythical "AR-15 machine guns"?

As usual, Mexico makes a choice to be dishonest. Perhaps if they secured THEIR side of the border to prevent illegals from exiting, they wouldn't have a gun problem.

It's hilarious to see Mexico, of all nations, whining about illegal "things" crossing the border into Mexico.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

blaming a gun (or its maker) is like blaming a pencil for a misspelled word.
Why doesn't the Mex Govt sue knife and machete makers for all the beheadings?
And rope makers for all the tied up victims?
And pillow case companies for all the hoods put over the kidnap victims?
And duct tape makers because of all the kidnapped peoples mouths being gagged?

Can we sue the mexican govt for aiding its citizens to come to america and RUIN our neighborhoods, over run our schools and hospitals, drain our public entitlements,and MOST IMPORTANTLY DESTROY OUR WAGES AND TAKE JOBS AWAY FROM THE PEOPLE WHO BUILT THIS COUNTRY?

especially the wages and jobs part, the worst aspect is how it happened right before the economic depression. The most critical point in history where those wages and jobs were needed. Instead, our pay was demolished by immigrants at absolutley the worst time in history. It helped make alot of blue collar guys flat broke for the last 10 years before the 2008 crash. Instead of being able to save money, get out of debt, and buy what we needed in order to survive an economic meltdown. the prices kept rising and the wages kept falling. mainly the wages kept falling and americans keep getting displaced by mostly mexican immigrants both legal and illegal. and the black hole of money draining out of our economy into remittances south of the border. every job a mexican in america has, takes money away from an american and a job away from an american.

Just think, we americans needed those jobs and wages over the last 15 years, and we could have been able to save and invest for the rainy day we are now in!!!
edit on 22-4-2011 by rebeldog because: spelling

edit on 22-4-2011 by rebeldog because: spelling

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

S+F
Sounds to me like someone that would call an AR-15 an "assault rifle" in the first place. They simply don't know what their talking about. 90,000 weapons though? Seems pretty high to me.

What's going to be easier to get, a full-auto AR-15 from the US or a full-auto AK from some South American country?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Mexico can kiss our lily white butts.

How about they pay for all the monies we have paid to house, feed and provide medical attention to all the illegals that came from mexico.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The ATF's gun running has been all over Univision and Telemundo so they know about it.

Why doesnt Mexico sue the ATF and the feds for smuggling weapons to cartels?

I guess they figure they cant win suing the fed and hitting the US in the 2ndA is good for globalists the world over so why not just go for the easy score.

Edit to add some ATF gun running links for folks not up to date:

hotair.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

thetruthaboutguns.com...

www.examiner.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 22-4-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

ATF gun running?!?
Can you pm me some links to stories or videos?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Can't take the effect and make it the cause. Couldn't agree more.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
its not americas fault why mexican citizens want to keep killing each other...i say screw the lawsuit...open the gates even more and let more guns acroos...if they wanna keep killing each other over drugs then so be it

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

i say why not start our own class action law suite on Mexico. there should be a hole list of things we could sue them on yours is a good one and a start.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The Mexicans should blame two things for the chaotic drug war:

1. Total Gun Ban - this policy has left ordinary Mexicans defenseless against the murderous drug cartels
  2. The globalist elite- they are smuggling in the arms to the drug cartels and laundering their profits in U.S. banks, even the Federal Reserve.

Plain and simple.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by danamae23

Americans are adding fuel to the fire by consuming these narcotics made by the cartels. Which in turn forces people to flee Mexico in search of a better life.

F the world as long as we Americans have our way right?.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by anon102

If the drug consumers had their way prohibition would end along with 95% of all this violence and crime.

Prohibition is a globalist decree.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Mexico can go ahead and file lawsuit; they will only end up looking like fools for believing the myths about the origin of guns in their country. Of course any fool can file a lawsuit for any reason, so that shouldn't stop them.....

From various sources:

Mexico's Gun Supply and the 90 Percent Myth

In addition to watching tactical developments of the cartel wars on the ground and studying the dynamics of the conflict among the various warring factions, we have also been paying close attention to the ways that both the Mexican and U.S. governments have reacted to these developments. Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects to watch has been the way in which the Mexican government has tried to deflect responsibility for the cartel wars away from itself and onto the United States. According to the Mexican government, the cartel wars are not a result of corruption in Mexico or of economic and societal dynamics that leave many Mexicans marginalized and desperate to find a way to make a living. Instead, the cartel wars are due to the insatiable American appetite for narcotics and the endless stream of guns that flows from the United States into Mexico and that results in Mexican violence.

Interestingly, the part of this argument pertaining to guns has been adopted by many politicians and government officials in the United States in recent years. It has now become quite common to hear U.S. officials confidently assert that 90 percent of the weapons used by the Mexican drug cartels come from the United States. However, a close examination of the dynamics of the cartel wars in Mexico — and of how the oft-echoed 90 percent number was reached — clearly demonstrates that the number is more political rhetoric than empirical fact.

As we discussed in a previous analysis, the 90 percent number was derived from a June 2009 U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) report to Congress on U.S. efforts to combat arms trafficking to Mexico (see external link).

According to the GAO report, some 30,000 firearms were seized from criminals by Mexican authorities in 2008. Of these 30,000 firearms, information pertaining to 7,200 of them (24 percent) was submitted to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) for tracing. Of these 7,200 guns, only about 4,000 could be traced by the ATF, and of these 4,000, some 3,480 (87 percent) were shown to have come from the United States.

This means that the 87 percent figure relates to the number of weapons submitted by the Mexican government to the ATF that could be successfully traced and not from the total number of weapons seized by Mexican authorities or even from the total number of weapons submitted to the ATF for tracing. In fact, the 3,480 guns positively traced to the United States equals less than 12 percent of the total arms seized in Mexico in 2008 and less than 48 percent of all those submitted by the Mexican government to the ATF for tracing. This means that almost 90 percent of the guns seized in Mexico in 2008 were not traced back to the United States.

Source: www.stratfor.com...

And from factcheck.org:

Counting Mexico’s Guns
There’s no dispute that thousands of handguns, military-style rifles and other firearms are purchased in the U.S. and end up in the hands of Mexican criminals each year. It’s relatively easy to buy such guns legally in Texas and other border states and to smuggle them across.

But is it true, as President Obama said, that "[m]ore than 90 percent of the guns recovered in Mexico come from the United States?" Government statistics don’t actually support that claim.

Source: www.factcheck.org...

edit on 4/22/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

link   
Lets just make a deal. They keep their drugs on their side, and we will keep our guns on our side.

Everybody wins.

link   
reply to post by FTD Brat

this is from the US Mexico embassy on operation gunrunner www.usembassy-mexico.gov...

BORDERS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
Project Gunrunner
ATF Fact Sheet

ATF is deploying its resources strategically on the Southwest Border to deny firearms, the “tools of the trade,” to criminal organizations in Mexico and along the border, and to combat firearms-related violence affecting communities on both sides of the border. In partnership with other U.S. agencies and with the Government of Mexico, ATF refined its Southwest Border strategy. ATF developed Project Gunrunner to stem the flow of firearms into Mexico and thereby deprive the narcotics cartels of weapons. The initiative seeks to focus ATF’s investigative, intelligence and training resources to suppress the firearms trafficking to Mexico and stem the firearms-related violence on both sides of the border.
and the program was is to let arms be sold to individuals who then sell them take them in to Mexico, but it backfired it got a border agent killed, and then makes national news www.cbsnews.com... i love this may have had the opposite effect from the cbcnews

Gunrunning scandal uncovered at the ATF
Program aimed at stopping the flow of weapons from the US to Mexico may have allegedly had the opposite effect
well let see the weapon sold was then used to kill a border agent and said weapon was part of there program, now if some one should get sued, should it not be the ATF er BATFE

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

first let me say....
Hahahahahahahaaaa....

The Mexican government and the media have consistently blamed the U.S. for the vicious drug war in Mexico that has resulted in over 35,000 deaths since late 2006. A diplomatic cable released by Wikileaks will disappoint them, as it shows that 90 percent of the heavy weapons used by the drug cartels come from Central America. The strength of the drug cartels is more attributable to the Mexican government’s inefficiencies than America’s gun laws or consumption of narcotics.

According to the published documents, U.S. diplomats in Mexico believe that these weapons, such as grenades and rocket launchers, are being stolen from the armed forces of Central American countries. They arrive in Mexico via the 577-mile Guatemalan border that only 125 Mexican immigration officials guard. Hezbollah and the Colombian FARC terrorist groups also deserve blame, as there are increasing indications that they are in bed with the drug cartels and are providing them with training, financing and possibly arms.

Unless WalMart started selling grenades and rocket launchers??? surely theur not to be found in the sporting goods section... maybe there hiding them in the Ladies undies department???? Talk about your boobytrap!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I personally don't buy the 90 percent figure unless they are guns made in the US given or sold to the corrupt Mexican military and then sold, stole, or given to the cartels by that corrupt military/government. I'd also like to really know where in the US these Mexican gangs are getting RPGs, full auto weapons, and hand grenades cause I'd really like some of those myself.
edit on 22-4-2011 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
I'd also like to really know where in the US these Mexican gangs are getting RPGs, full auto weapons, and hand grenades cause I'd really like some of those myself.

According to the media we're getting them all at Bob's Sporting Goods down the street and from those shady gun shows in the South.

Last time I asked Bob if he had any grenades he laughed at me and last show I went to just had a bunch of old surplus rifles and tacti-cool gear.

Someday I'll find these elusive RPG's and explosives and machine guns that are apparently so easy for everybody but me to get. I just have to keep looking.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Oh no I'm not condoning globalism or prohibition. Is that I get this impression that most American feel as if were all innocent and have nothing to do with this problem when in reality we are the problem.

I mean its just an endless cycle of hate and violence and now the violence is spreading into the U.S.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by anon102

yes we are the problem we put in laws that ban harmful drugs, coc aine heroin speed that, they the drug dealers are killing each other for. so the price goes up the more violent they the dealers become, be cause we ban the drugs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join