It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear reactor near Atlanta goes on emergency shutdown for unknown reason

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Uh oh?
Nuclear Reactor In Ga. Shuts Down Abruptly

A nuclear reactor at Plant Vogtle in eastern Georgia has been taken out of service until authorities determine why it unexpectedly shut down.

The Atlanta-based Southern Co. reported Thursday that the Unit 1 reactor at Plant Vogtle automatically shut down Wednesday evening. The shutdown procedure, called a scram, was completed without incident.

Nuclear reactors are designed to shut down if automatic monitoring systems detect conditions that could be unsafe. Southern Co. spokesman Alyson Fuqua said it was not immediately clear what prompted the shutdown. No problems have been reported.

They always say it's all safe.... hopefully it really is...
edit on 22-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

well you would have known if it had not shut down properly... it would have blown its stack by now......

lol....

I am sure it will all be fine......

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I like the calming words in that article like automatically shut down, no problems, without incident. Sounds like they want everyone to feel comfortable about a nuclear reactor shutting down but I guess they don't pay attention to the news. One is ringing a bell in my head.....ummmm.....JAPAN!! How can someone feel comfortable with anything happening with a nuclear reactor right now??
edit on 4/22/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

This is copied from the OP. Read this below by itself. Designed to shut down when the monitoring systems DETECT conditions that could be UNSAFE. But no problems and all is safe, but not sure what prompted the shutdown?? COME ON

Nuclear reactors are designed to shut down if automatic monitoring systems detect conditions that could be unsafe. Southern Co. spokesman Alyson Fuqua said it was not immediately clear what prompted the shutdown. No problems have been reported.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Scary, I have family in and around ATL. Will give them a call later on and hear what's up. (And give them a heads up if they don't already know.)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

It wasn’t clear why the equipment shut down, but it was likely triggered by equipment related to an electrical turbine, said Southern Co. spokesperson Alyson Fuqua. She stressed the shutdown was on the non-nuclear portion of the plant.

Source.

Atlanta Business Chronicle states the problem isn't nuclear in nature, but according to the OP's article a scram was initiated. Which is indeed an emergency shutdown of the nuclear reactor.

Keeping an eye on this for sure.

Stuxnet variant...? Someone was gonna say it...
edit on 22-4-2011 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I live near Atlanta. Maybe that explains why I was able to get up to go to the bathroom last night without using a nightlight. There was a strange eerie glow around me.

Just kidding - I hope

new topics

top topics

join