It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention Philosophers of ATS. Share your wisdom and change the world.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

All of us posses an amazing wealth of knowledge and personal wisdom that we can share. I think it would be interesting to hear the philosophers of ATS render meaning and commentary to this book: The Maxims of PtahHotep.

Isesi was the King in the Egyptian Fifth Dynasty (ca. 2414 BC). Isesi had a Vizier (advisor/minister) named Ptah Hotep (meaning: Pillar of Stability – Peace and Satisfaction). The Maximus of Ptahhotep was an ancient literary masterpiece and self-help guide for the people of Egypt. As you read this document, you quickly realize the immensity of wisdom that is contained in very short and concise nuggets of knowledge. This work covers topics from restraining anger to dealing with the passions of youth.

If you wold like to participate in this thread, find a paragraph from the Maxims and give your commentary on its meaning. One of my favorite quotes from the Maxims of PtahHotep is this one:

"Be not arrogant because of that which you know; deal with the ignorant as with the learned; for the barriers of art are not closed, no artist being in possession of the perfection to which he should aspire. But good words are more difficult to find than the emerald, for it is by slaves that that is discovered among the rocks of pegmatite."

My commentary:

Arrogance is a hard quality to escape. If you are able to restrain your own arrogance, you find it ten fold in another. How do we effectually deal with the arrogance of people according to wisdom and understanding? The answer according to Ptah Hotep is obvious: Treat all men as equals. Why? Because the barrier to what we are trying to convey to each other is not within the person but within the way the person is treated; within the very words we use. Rich and poor alike can attain the perfection that life offers if what is offered is truth—like an emerald hidden in a rough place.

Dig into the Maxims and reveal an emerald of wisdom, from your own unique perspective, to share with the world. If you would like to participate, please adhere to a few rules.

1. Don't attack anyone on the thread.
2. Live up to the wisdom presented.
3. Try not to debate viewpoints. Simply provide your own so everyone can be enriched.
4. Avoid using the words of another book or person (apart from the Maxims). Your words only.

edit on 22-4-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
What does "philosopher" and "wisdom" signify?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Philo - Love
Sophia - Wisdom

Philosophia is a philosopher--a lover of wisdom. Wisdom signifies bringing forward what is hidden. Digging for the emerald from a unique perspective.

Originally posted by vivalarevolution
What does "philosopher" and "wisdom" signify?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

thank you Ed, this is a great idea.
S&F
My passage is the first one in the teaching section.

"Don't let your heart get big because of your knowledge.
Take counsel with the ignorant as well as with the scholar.
(For) the limits of art are not brought,
(and) no artisan is equipped with perfection.
Good discourse is more hidden than green stone
yet may be found among the maids at the grindstones.

my thoughts,
Dont let your feelings dictate your actions and thoughts, keep you pride to one side when coming to learn something new.
Take the time to listen to those that dont understand where you are coming from as much as those that do, as you never know which one will say something you need to hear to make your ideas gel.
And money dosnt make someone any better at knowing or understanding somethig
As no one skilled in the arts has reached a level of perfection, they only aspire to it, as perfection is an ideal not a state.
Good manners and actions are required in all situations, even amongst those you might deem unworthy
as sometimes good conversation and ideas can be found amoungst those you wouldnt normaly talk too.

edit on 22-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I have a degree in Philosophy.

Suggestions?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Hmmm Philosophies how it intrigues me in thought
For the idea of thought is the idea of mind for the idea of mind is the idea of being
and the idea of being is the idea of universe the idea of universe is that is.
Through hate we can only come learn to love, through love we can only learn to hate
Through experience is where we can gain wisdom

For Wisdom is where we can gain Enlightenment
To gain Enlightenment is to gain your self.

What is our purpose to gain?

How logical and irrational mind can be, what if we think in between then we can see.
The center of things is certainly the truth of things the center, center's it self, centering,
Center your self and you will see the center of all and you.

My philosophical and strange philosophical thought.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
We can't change to world anymore. The people are selfish, egoistic, aggressive and unable to understand other views then their own. I't's time to end this experiment. This must end before natures damage is to big. We had the chance, 1000 chances to learn by hearth and follow the things we all feel and know, but we didn't. We kill for cheap things we don't need. We let people work and die for our own luxury lifestyles. We only care about what people think of us instead of learn what moral an ethic is. We are already in the state of vanishing, you will see in short time.

2012 is mystic in a way people can't catch. It's self fulfilling, what will happen is not fate, it's global consciousness that forms reality. It's time to give earth free. Mother needs time to cure. We will not die, but we will be in the soul-cloud in a other dimension, feeling we are one.

Individualism sounded good, but we are no longer a consumer society, but we are a waste society, and the universe will revoke our right to exists, because we are not worthy. it's also better for us to take a brake and think about the last 20 lives we had, and made all wrong. Earth is the most beautiful place in the universe - without mankind.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
That was three times amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Here's another that I love. This is the last thing he says at age 110.

“Apply yourself while you speak; speak only of perfect things; and let the great who shall hear you say: "Twice good is that which issues from his mouth!"

reply to post by sprocket2cog

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
As the maxims say above, the slave finds the emerald, not the king. There are so many good people in this world. It's a matter of finding the emerald within. I have confidence that this world will be just fine. We are a self-correcting system as far as I can see. So many people are waking up to what you are saying right now. Consciousness is merely at a tipping point and people like us can tip it in the right directions with no weapons at all. Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by cushycrux
We can't change to world anymore. The people are selfish, egoistic, aggressive and unable to understand other views then their own. I't's time to end this experiment. This must end before natures damage is to big. We had the chance, 1000 chances to learn by hearth and follow the things we all feel and know, but we didn't. We kill for cheap things we don't need. We let people work and die for our own luxury lifestyles. We only care about what people think of us instead of learn what moral an ethic is. We are already in the state of vanishing, you will see in short time.

2012 is mystic in a way people can't catch. It's self fulfilling, what will happen is not fate, it's global consciousness that forms reality. It's time to give earth free. Mother needs time to cure. We will not die, but we will be in the soul-cloud in a other dimension, feeling we are one.

Individualism sounded good, but we are no longer a consumer society, but we are a waste society, and the universe will revoke our right to exists, because we are not worthy. it's also better for us to take a brake and think about the last 20 lives we had, and made all wrong. Earth is the most beautiful place in the universe - without mankind.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This one:

Do not repeat calumny,
neither hear it.
It is the way of expression of the hot-bellied.(58)
Report a thing observed, not heard.
If it is negligible, do not say anything,
(and) see : he who is before You recognizes (your) worth.
Let it be ordered to seize what it produces.(59)
In accordance with the law,
hatred will arise against him who seizes it to use it.(60)
Calumny is like a vision against which one covers the face.(61)

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
I have a degree in Philosophy.

Suggestions?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
"If you find a disputant while he is hot, and if he is superior to you in ability, lower the hands, bend the back, do not get into a passion with him. As he will not let you destroy his words, it is utterly wrong to interrupt him; that proclaims that you are incapable of keeping yourself calm, when you are contradicted. If then you have to do with a disputant while he is hot, imitate one who does not stir. You have the advantage over him if you keep silence when he is uttering evil words. "The better of the two is he who is impassive," say the bystanders, and you are right in the opinion of the great."

People have disputes. Dealing with a ‘hothead’ is never easy, especially if they wrap their arguments in clever language. The best way is the middle way in philosophy. Choosing the middle way is avoiding extremes—not anger and not cowardice. According to the passage above, you should listen more than you speak. The other person may be telling you something you need to understand. If you argue, “he will not let you destroy his words.” Don’t interrupt. The better of the two is the one that is impassive (insusceptible to pain). Equanimity and mindfulness of purpose and truth.

This is the weakness of most of us. These words are worth living up to for myself. I have trouble in this area. It seems to be a common problem as we read threads around the internet. It seems truth is the paradox of doing the opposite of what seems natural or easy.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Here's one:
In the time it took you to read this... you could have helped someone.
Tick tock.
There's your change. It starts there.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd

As the maxims say above, the slave finds the emerald, not the king. There are so many good people in this world. It's a matter of finding the emerald within. I have confidence that this world will be just fine. We are a self-correcting system as far as I can see. So many people are waking up to what you are saying right now. Consciousness is merely at a tipping point and people like us can tip it in the right directions with no weapons at all. Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by cushycrux

Mankind is on the crossroad. We should decide what way is good. good for you, or good for me? If everyone would care about his next, earth can be paradise. But since people follow the "I"-Mode, they will lose their ability to feel the others, the truth, the moral that wan't us to lead. They (or we) don't listen. We are able to fly near light speed, we made a hadron collider and so on. We made the world completely physical. While in our souls is a black hole. As you know the brain is getting stunned when not used very fast. What about the Soul? What about universal love and forgiveness, mental size? I see no chance to solve this. We are too many. We are too violent, - and yes it hurt very much, like living in a hell. The seeing one is the poor. I know what happens since I was 4 years old, cried about it many years. But we will leave. We have to, sadly.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I agree. Altruism is the pinnacle of what man can achieve in life. "Twice good is that which issues from (your) mouth!"

Now I'm off to go teach 300 students instrumental music. I'll follow your advise.

Originally posted by Numb2itall
Here's one:
In the time it took you to read this... you could have helped someone.
Tick tock.
There's your change. It starts there.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
If You are a man who leads,
calmly hear the speech of one who pleads,
(and) do not stop him from purging his body (45)
of that which he planned to tell.
A man in distress wants to wash his heart
more than that his case be won.
About him who stops a plea,
one says : 'Why does he reject it ?'
Not all one pleads for can be granted,
but a good hearing calms the heart.

My thoughts,
If you are a person who wishes to lead by example, then listen closely to those that come to you with a problem
wait for him to say everything that he has to say, with out interruption, for some one with a major problem may just need to be listened too.
And if you do interrupt some one who is just trying to plead his case to a wiser man , then people will wonder why you cant be compassionate, even though you may not be able to solve his problem he will feel better for having had the chance to get it off his chest.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Deep and well stated.

Originally posted by sprocket2cog

If You are a man who leads,
calmly hear the speech of one who pleads,
(and) do not stop him from purging his body (45)
of that which he planned to tell.
A man in distress wants to wash his heart
more than that his case be won.
About him who stops a plea,
one says : 'Why does he reject it ?'
Not all one pleads for can be granted,
but a good hearing calms the heart.

My thoughts,
If you are a person who wishes to lead by example, then listen closely to those that come to you with a problem
wait for him to say everything that he has to say, with out interruption, for some one with a major problem may just need to be listened too.
And if you do interrupt some one who is just trying to plead his case to a wiser man , then people will wonder why you cant be compassionate, even though you may not be able to solve his problem he will feel better for having had the chance to get it off his chest.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
“Teach others to render homage to a great man. If you gather the crop for him among men, cause it to return fully to its owner, at whose hands is your subsistence. But the gift of affection is worth more than the provisions with which your back is covered. For that which the great man receives from you will enable your house to live, without speaking of the maintenance you enjoy, which you desire to preserve; it is thereby that he extends a beneficent hand, and that in your home good things are added to good things. Let your love pass into the heart of those who love you; cause those about you to be loving and obedient.”

How many pages could be filled in this thread to illustrate just a tiny fraction, a mere glimmer off the edge, of this one single passage? The writer of this passage starts by instructing us to teach others respect through example. If you work at a job you enjoy, it is only right that you should do your best to return your salary with valuable work and effort. The affection you show to your place of employment will guarantee that your back is covered when you make mistakes. By passing your love for others forward, you teach others to do the same. That is amazing wisdom for me, as a teacher, when I consider that my employers are my students!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Much of this sounds a lot like the parables spoken by Jesus in the NT. Even some of the teachings of the apostles.

This looks like fun.
I am off to pick my paragraph

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Someone mentioned this to me a few weeks ago as I was talking about my own view and he put it nicely.

Life is like a sword. To long in the fire and it's brittle, to long in the water and it's soft. Just enough of each and it's very refined. A life of discipline where you adapt to change or choose to be comfortable and not learn.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
There are some that say PtahHotep is Joseph. Both died at 110 in Egypt, both were Visiers and the papyrus reads much different than any of the Egyptian texts. Your hunch is probably correct.

Originally posted by cloudwatcher
Much of this sounds a lot like the parables spoken by Jesus in the NT. Even some of the teachings of the apostles.

This looks like fun.
I am off to pick my paragraph

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join