It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Graphene material is Paper-Thin &10 Times Stronger Than Steel (amazing)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Sound expensive to me. If it costs $1.00 to make a square foot of it, they will charge around $400 a square foot I am sure. Nothing like a good profit..

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I believe that this might be the stuff from graphite pencils - the very thin layer that gets put onto the paper.

This stuff has been there for years and quite literally under our noses - but we have never investigated it properly.

I think this "graphene" will be massive - a new stable Carbon allotrope - easy to make and they have not even started with its electrical properties yet!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Profit.... use to make the world go around.

Without it,,, we sit idle. Look at the USA. Like a big cruise ship straned at sea....

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
If it is flexible, wouldnt it better for buildings in earthquake prone areas?

I'm in the construction industry, and I would say that if you're talking about using it for a building's structure then it's probably not a good application for it. Mainly I say this because you cannot instill additional flexibility (beyond that already required by earthquake codes) into one element of a building without doing the same with all of the other components such as curtainwall, glass, drywall, stone, etc. The main advantage I see of a material like this would be for exterior cladding of buildings. Depending on cost it might make an excellent roof membrane too, right now the best roofing systems last 20-25 years, if someone developed a cost-effective membrane that could last 30+ years they would own the market.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yeah, if they really did reverse-engineer the tech from the Rosewell incident and craft (that is if that incident really happened), it's technology such as this. Sorry for being off topic, but I had to get on this small soapbox for a quick second.

A colleague and I were discussing this, and wondering if this same paper thin Graphene could stop a bullet? We're assuming they're saying it's 10 times stronger than the best milled steel on this planet. There I'm back on topic again

Peace

TYBU

Edit:
S&F for sure!
edit on 22-4-2011 by TheyWontBelieveU because: Can't forget the S&F if it's deserved.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Dr. Michio Kaku talked about this stuff on Sci Fi Science a long time ago. I am sure TPTB have already made plans to profit from graphene long before you or I were given knowledge of its existence.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

www.youtube.com...

Not exactly like it, but I got a laugh out of it.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I read about this late last year I think it was. I remember the article saying they could construct it 1 atom thick, and at that thickness it could support a few thousand pounds on a pinpoint. Pretty wild.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Can it be combined with chemicals to make it rigid? Carbon Fiber like.
Just had to ask....Is it Flammable?
Could be used in firefighters gear.
How about Parachutes...Hot Air Balloons, Blimps...socks that never wear out.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm thinking it could be good for transportation, military and construction. Just imagine if it's cheap. This will definitely be something to keep an eye on.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DreamVapor
reply to post by anon72

Can it be combined with chemicals to make it rigid? Carbon Fiber like.
Just had to ask....Is it Flammable?
Could be used in firefighters gear.
How about Parachutes...Hot Air Balloons, Blimps...socks that never wear out.

1. Yes. In fact, the wiki article on graphene paper in fact describes a graphene oxide paper. I've seen other papers use other composites as well (polyaniline, etc.). Different composites will achieve enhancement of different properties and possibly the suppression of others. This is good and bad, depending on how you plan to apply it.

2. Yes, sometimes. I've read that GP will spontaneously combust in air when contaminated with KOH. I know that graphite is also combustible at very high temps, so maybe that property is similar in graphene.

3. There is a lot of work needed before anything can be applied commercially. The discovery and study of graphene, let alone GP is still in it's infancy. Producing graphene is itself a night mare to do on a large scale. In any case, the main application of this is in electrical devices. It's a very conductive material. Another promising field is in medicine - drug delivery, etc.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Sounds expensive to me.

From the article:

But perhaps best of all, graphene paper is not outrageously difficult or expensive to manufacture, and as such it could have huge implications for the aviation and automotive industries, where manufacturers have already been turning to composites and carbon fiber materials to cut weight and thus increase fuel economies.

Thanks anon72, you always bring the coolest stuff to our attention!

edit on 22-4-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills

Sounds expensive to me.

From the article:

But perhaps best of all, graphene paper is not outrageously difficult or expensive to manufacture, and as such it could have huge implications for the aviation and automotive industries, where manufacturers have already been turning to composites and carbon fiber materials to cut weight and thus increase fuel economies.

edit on 22-4-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

Sure, the paper is easy as anything to make. It's the graphene that's not feasible to make on larger scales.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I believe that this Graphene is also known as Bucky Paper........Originally Taken from the works of Mr Buckminster Fuller one of my very favorite all time visionaries. Yes this technology is going to change the world. However I can't help but think if two of those cars crashed into each other at say 70 mph then what would happen to the humans???? Im thinking the car would be fine but the humans would go SPLAT! I hope they are working this out before they introduce it that's all im saying

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

en.wikipedia.org...

Bucky Balls are either balls, tubes or ellipsoid.

So it could be a fullerene if made into a tube.

But otherwise graphene is a flat lattice of carbon. They are related.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

en.wikipedia.org...

Bucky Balls are either balls, tubes or ellipsoid.

So it could be a fullerene if made into a tube.

But otherwise graphene is a flat lattice of carbon. They are related.

In fact a graphene tube is exactly a fullerene - a carbon nanotube to be precise. So yes, very related. Almost identical chemistry too.

Also, graphene is specifically an allotrope consisting of a monolayer of carbon, with the same bonding as in graphite.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
An extremely lightweight, rigid, material with a very high tensile strength would be perfect for the external covering of a high speed Airship!

Currently, one of the most significant factors limiting the speed of lighter-than-air vehicles is the very high amount of aerodynamic drag that results from the craft's, unavoidably flexing, fabric envelope, or "skin". This "skin" contains and protects the craft's internal lifting cells, which, in turn, contain the vehicle's lifting gas (usually helium).

If this new material could be used as a rigid replacement of the current fabric coverings, without adding excessive weight to the Airship, there is absolutely no reason why airships could not be designed with far more aerodynamic profiles.

This would, in turn, allow even large, heavy-lifting, airships to attain airspeeds closely approximating commercial cargo aircraft, with the added benefit of much lower operating costs than conventional, heavier than air, craft (airplanes).

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Interesting....but this stuff has been around for a while.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So the new plastic is here...nice.

Although, this tougher than nails material has been around for awhile. Buckyballs were discovered, what, 1985 and even then they were discussing this very same things. (basically, carbon nanotubes).

so, there ya go then. discovered in 1985, now in 2011, there may be a product based on what they intended over 25 years later.

You can be excited about this. I was back in 1998 when I heard about it and was active in the nanotech boards when it was already being yelled at about being supressed.

I take a step back and see 26 years + (nothing has been produced yet beyond it moving into mainstream)..I see just a tiny drop to keep the public happy and astounded.

Yes, its very epic cool...but they have for some reason been sitting on this for decades now. I want to cheer, but my desire to take a pitchfork and torch to the various corporations supressing releasing tech overrides it slightly.

ok, will smile and be happy that they finally got around to it. sweet, it will create an entire revolution of all material innovation. Cars, clothes, crafts, homes, etc. Expect initially this cheaply made material to be exceptionally expensive of course.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Well Maybe they just discovered a way back Engineered this type of material from The Roswell + & many Others Space Craft crashes ?

Well what Would Philip Corso Say if he was alive about this

I Remember the Transistor

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join