It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran Seeking Nuke Bomb Booster?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Iran, already under the microscope from the IAEA, have been in contact with a Russian company trying to acquire deteurium gas, which can be used for heavy water reactors, but if combined with tritium, becomes a booster for implosion type nuclear fusion bombs. What leads diplomats to believe that there could be less than honorable intentions in this transaction, is the fact that Iran is supposed to announce to the IAEA of any acquisitions of "dual-use" items, in this case Iran has not.

www.reuters.co.uk
VIENNA (Reuters) - Iranian agents are negotiating with a Russian company to buy a substance that can boost nuclear explosions in atomic weapons, according to an intelligence agency report being circulated by diplomats.

The two-page report cited "knowledgeable Russian sources" for the information, which Washington will likely point to as more proof that Tehran wants to acquire nuclear weaponry.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The problem here is one of transparency, Iran could very well want to use this gas for peaceful purposes, but with the increased scrutiny of the country, they continue to complete "back door" deals drawing more attention and condemnation from the international community.

Related News Story
Russia to Sell Iran Nuke Booster - Report

Related Info
Deuterium
Heavy Water Production
Nuclear Fusion

Resource Links Added:ed

[edit on 7/28/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Im amazed that the spin has been set up so quickly with Iran. We may be at war with them before we know it. If I were trying to develop a nucler program esp one under scrutiny, why would I go to the time and expence to develop a boosted fusion weapon? Really a simple nuke that can be placed on a IRBM would be enough. Eventually you get caught and the program exposed. You kind have to wonder if it is a setup?

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Good point FredT, so this could be just more fuel to the fire to isolate the country. I think that what the goal is in the Iranian situation is to create conditions for civil war as there are plenty of Iranians who want out of the control of their government.

I do not think that an Iraq type situation is one desired, at least right now.

There are plenty of people in power right now playing with the voodoo doll called Iran and it looks like they are pushing pins in this doll to see the reaction.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
There are plenty of people in power right now playing with the voodoo doll called Iran and it looks like they are pushing pins in this doll to see the reaction.

Man I hope so. The Iranians will not be pushover by any stretch. Three times the population of Iraq and people who when attacked can put up a fanatical level of resistance.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
One point which must not be forgotten is the war of words between Israel & Iran within the past few weeks, remember what Israel did to Iraq's nuke facility, they won't take to kindly to this information and knowing them aren't going to wait and see if Iran has peaceful intentions if they access these materials.

ATSThread:Israel will be 'wiped off earth' if it attacks Iran: Revolutionary Guards
ATSThread:Israel 'Ready' to Strike Iran

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Looking at a map of Iran on FAS, the nuclear sites are pretty spread out. were exactly is the reactor that Isreal is threatening to attack. The Osriak reactor was a bit of a stretch for the IAF, and some of the Iranian sites are well away from the Iraqi border.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
From what I can assess the problems started with Irans plans to build a reactor in Arak...

Israel to destroy
Iran nuke plant?

The reactor site is at Arak, next to an already built heavy-water production plant. It is to replace a reactor using non-weapons grade enriched uranium that the Iranians mothballed because they said it was outmoded and lacked fuel.

Because enrichment can be used both to generate power and make nuclear warheads, Iran has said it has suspended all enrichment activities to prove its peaceful intentions. It also cannot buy enriched fuel on legal markets because of international suspicions about its intentions.

Observers wonder out loud why Iran, a nation with vast oil reserves, is so intent on producing nuclear power.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The plans which come from one of the threads above also goes into more depth.

The new reactor would also be capable of producing plutonium which is Israel's concern.

[edit on 7/28/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I really think that this is the 'death rattle' for Iran. It seems that the west are using every trick up their (our) sleeves to isolate and place sanctions on the country. This smacks of a set up to draw the US (and their puppet Israel) into a stand off with potentially ugly consequences.

All the ships out there are for a reason, and as each day passes it looks like we've found our target.

Benjj

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Why does everyone still assume that our naval fleet is still hovering around the middle east? This is wrong and a misconception.

After two weeks of intense multinational war games in the Pacific, the six ships and more than 60 aircraft of USS John C. Stennis Carrier (CVN 74) Strike Group (JCS CSG) pulled into Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, July 22, successfully completing the biannual Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise.

Along with all the others:

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Iran has always been the target. We are fighting a war of attrition. This has been going on after the Sha. You kind of have be old enough to step back and look at what we have done over the years to see the angle of approach. You are right about the change of focus. Iran is feeling the pressure and is acting out in desperation. They are the terrorist enablers.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I'm not so sure that the US is thinking about invading Iran any time soon. There is nowhere near the type of buzz like there was with Iraq, and it was clear that even before 9/11, Iraq was going to be attacked at some stage during Bush's term in office.

I'd be more concerned about Israel hitting Iran. Iran doesn't yet have missiles capable of striking Israel, so if Israel wants to take out the nuclear facilities they are probably going to do it before Iran has the capability to strike back. Israel is dead serious about this, Iran is their biggest threat and weve seen before that Israel doesnt give a damn about international reaction or whatever, when it feels it needs to take action.

And if this story is true, its just going to add even more to the possibility of Israel launching a strike on Iran.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by duncanidaho
They are the terrorist enablers.

So why weren't they the first target in the 'war against terrorism?'

This situation stinks, how many other countries are going to be pulled out of the terror hat for invasion?

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by shanti23
So why weren't they the first target in the 'war against terrorism?'
This situation stinks, how many other countries are going to be pulled out of the terror hat for invasion?

Or for that matter, North Korea?????

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Or for that matter, North Korea?????

If it comes to that, I'd suggest people on this site learn how to make fire without matches and how to find and distill water.

Diplomacy exists for a reason and we should not watch it go down in flames.

[edit on 28-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Who were the countries named as the axis of evil at the beginning of the Bush term? Iran, Iraq, North Korea, and Afganistan. Our president said he was going to face them down and is in the process of doing so. Once again he said it and did it. Sounds like a promise fufilled to me.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Yeah, well don't forget: Cuba, Libya and Syria have been added to that list since.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I personally think it is wrong to use the term: axis
nazi Germany and her allies deserved that term for a reason.
Here it is being used to effect.

I don't see any of those countries invading anyone at the moment, do you?

Pre-emptively invade everyone, then no enemies will exist.

Better add Ireland to that list, hell - they've been bombing us for years.

This news article might interest you:

news.bbc.co.uk...

A week after President Bush singled out Iran, Iraq and North Korea as an "axis of evil" in his State of the Union speech, the US Secretary of State Colin Powell has moved to reassure America's allies about the meaning of the phrase.

"It does not mean that we are ready to invade anyone or that we are not willing to engage in dialogue. Quite the contrary," Mr Powell said.

A man of his word that Powell.

Mr Bush's State of the Union message seems to have frightened America's allies quite as much as it scared its enemies - evil or otherwise.

!

[edit on 28-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I think Powell faught quite a internal battle and lost to the neocons that seem to be pulling the strings. Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, and CHeney clearly have the presidents ear. Its almost like a Manchurian canidate thing we have going on here.

[edit on 29-7-2004 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangeroftheeastIran doesn't yet have missiles capable of striking Israel,

actually they do... the Shahab-3/4/5 ballistic missiles www.fas.org...

www.missilethreat.com...

and the shahab 6 being developed is an ICBM www.missilethreat.com...

new topics

top topics

join