It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stokes Croft Tesco riots.Bristol UK

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Reading the BBC link and watching the video - it seems some sort of action may have been planned against Tesco and the police stepped in to intercept and defend the tesco store,

I should think so too! That's what we pay them for - to defend property from those who have no social responsibility, no respect for the law, for other people or indeed for anything but themselves.

If I had my way they'd all be castrated and shipped off to the South Shetlands where they'd no longer be a problem

Responsibility comes before Right. And until folk accept their responsibilities then they deserve no rights.

edit on 22-4-2011 by Essan because: add comment

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I agree entirely with your post, mate, until the bit about ''shipping them off to the south Shetlands''.

Decent, British people inhabit the islands of the Shetlands, so I'd be more inclined to ship them off to Rockall.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

The things is... You're harping on about defending property, but didn't MOST of the local community object to the Tesco in the first place, it's a property that most people didn't want. And now you're moaning about the local community attacking the Tesco and supporting the police who defend the interests of the corporations.

I understand your beef with the violence, but can you not see how frustrating it is, when the law blindly defends the interests of the rich?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This all seems a little suss to me, and a bit pointless. And as much as i love to see people having a good riot, I just can't see the point over a Tesco express. If it was a massive store in a quite area, then yeah fair enough. but this all seems a little bit pernickety. I'm not buying coppers story of them turning up to nick someone. You don;t turn up to nick someone with 100 riot squad.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Any argument the people of Stokes Croft may have had has now been utterly destroyed by these mindless vandals who have no regard for anyone or anything but themselves.

But given this is a conspiracy forum, I might wonder whether they were paid by Tesco to do it?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I assume that since most of the community didn't want the shop they don't use it and therefore it has few customers, whilst other local businesses are unaffected?

I dislike Tesco more than most (I own my own shop in a town where the Tesco supermarket has helped destroy the high street). But this is not and never will be the way to deal with Tesco. We march with our feet, not with rocks.

And I maintain that those rioting coudn't care less whether it was Tesco, the Poll Tax, Nuclear Power, Iraq or the cancellation by the BBC of El Dorado. They riot for the fun of rioting. Scum!

edit on 22-4-2011 by Essan because: typo

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

And when Tesco announced plans to open a store on Cheltenham Road, opponents came out in force. Last March bailiffs evicted nine of the 10 squatters occupying the building where the Tesco Express store was planned. Four people were arrested for public order offences and 70 police officers quelled the disturbance. People living in the area opposing the store said they did not want the place to lose its local character and feared smaller shops would be threatened. Protesters had set up camp outside the shop since its opening.

"Closing down sale" is now daubed on the window in red paint.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Now the msm seem to have a bit more of a grip on the situation..
but nobody from Tesco has any comment

Bless ...

So a bit of a mixed response from all sides..

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Originally posted by Vanishr
i always thought the UK was gna go like this soon, theres only so much sh*t the public can take from this outrageous government.

Boring !!!!!!!!!!

The problems come from the lot before you moron !

This coalition lot obviously don't seem to be able to communicate or explain itself either...but that's a different story.......

Don't forget where the problems started, it's easy to blame without offering any solutions ...

Regards

PDUK

They're all the same as each other. Political elite scum. I don't think any here are pointing fingers and saying one party is worse than the other. Most ATS members recognise they're all self-serving scumbags. Catch up

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

I assume that since most of the community didn't want the shop they don't use it and therefore it has few customers, whilst other local businesses are unaffected?

I dislike Tesco more than most (I own my own shop in a town where the Tesco supermarket has helped destroy the high street). But this is not and never will be the way to deal with Tesco. We march with our feet, not with rocks.

And I maintain that those rioting coudn't care less whether it was Tesco, the Poll Tax, Nuclear Power, Iraq or the cancellation by the BBC of El Dorado. They riot for the fun of rioting. Scum!

Mate, are you suggesting the Poll Tax riots were the result of scum who enjoy the "fun of rioting"? Pull the other one.

People riot when imaginary Democratic systems fail them and they're left with no other options.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

In the UK

1,000,000 people march against the Iraq war - they went to war anyway

500,000 marched aginst government cuts - they cut anyway

400,000 marched against the decision on hunting - they banned it anyway

300,000 marched against student fees - they raised the level anyway

Poll Tax protests, the level of violent disorder was extensive throughout the country - the government caved in under the pressure and the Poll Tax was abolished.

Also, UK still in Iraq today, Tesco just announced profits just short of £3 billion and until the incidents in Japan recently the UK were looking to increase thier nuclear power stations.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LostMyPassword

LostMyPassword..........

You joined ATS on the 20th April 2011 and your telling me to 'catch up'??

Yeah Right !!

PDUK

edit on 22-4-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ukWolf
..... until the incidents in Japan recently the UK were looking to increase thier nuclear power stations.

Maybe we should riot to ensure we do increase our nuclear power stations, unless we want to rely on dangerous, cancer causing coal or have the lights go out in winter?

The poll tax was much fairer than the current system. Except for those who won't work and expect the State to provide all.

And personallyI don't like being held to ransom by the threat of violence. Why should I do what you say, just because if I don't you'll smash up by shop and cause me injury? Just makes me more determined not to give any consideration to your opinions. And more threats of violemce won't change that!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ukWolf

The poll tax was much fairer than the current system. Except for those who won't work and expect the State to provide all.

Guessing you're not working class then eh?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostMyPassword
People riot when imaginary Democratic systems fail them and they're left with no other options.

All over the UK, ordinary people are waking up to the fact that democracy does not exist.

www.northnorfolknews.co.uk...

West Norfolk has voted resoundingly against proposals to build an incinerator in King’s Lynn.

A tale of spin behind the scenes

Cory Wheelabrator’s £140 an hour PR consultants warned that yesterday’s announcement would be “critical to (the) overall credibility of the project and its management team, if not the final result of the planning application”.

A report by Paul Kelly, of the PPS Group, says the pro-incinerator camp should not appear “high-handed” to the people of West Norfolk.

“The media and other stakeholders will want to know the sequence and detail of events,” it says. “We need to decide what they can be told and whether we will agree such lines to take with the council first or act unilaterally.”

PPS suggested ways in which Cory Wheelabrator’s refusal to take part in the council poll could be spun.

“We need to suggest that our absence from the referendum undermines the moral value of it and that it carries no legal value in any event,” notes Mr Kelly.

Of its own survey, carried out by researchers ComRes, it notes: “We might want to offer the borough council a chance to see our research results (depending how they look). We might extend this to the local MPs.”

PPS is charging Cory Wheelabrator £140 an hour to monitor the media, “rebut negative stories” and advise on strategy.

In one e-mail accompanying details of its proposed charges, its director Rebecca Eatwell says: “We’d be more than happy to discuss a success-related bonus for this work going forward, if that is of interest.”

But the company behind the plan claims its own research shows the rest of Norfolk wants the scheme to go ahead - as leaked documents reveal how its advisors plotted to undermine the council poll.

Some 65,516 people voted no to plans to build an “energy from waste” plant at Saddlebow, while 5,173 voted in favour of the scheme.

Speaking after the leaked documents became public last night, West Norfolk council chief executive Ray Harding said: “The scale of the turnout and the clear, decisive result means their task is impossible as the result speaks for itself.

“People in West Norfolk want to be listened to and no amount of game playing by any of the participants can undermine that - they’re on a hiding to nothing.”

More than 70,000 people returned their polling papers in the borough-wide ballot, a turnout of 61pc - far higher than the last local elections.

Mr Harding said: “There has been a high level of interest in this issue and the poll has given people the opportunity to make their views known.

“The turnout shows how strongly the people of West Norfolk feel about the proposals.

“This result will be made available to Norfolk County Council, the authority that will ultimately make the decision on whether to permit the construction of the incinerator in King’s Lynn.”

A note to members of the consortium hoping to build the plant from its PR company PPS warned its response to yesterday’s announcement would be “critical to overall credibility of the project and its management team, if not the final result of the planning application”.

Documents passed to the EDP discuss how best it could undermine the “moral value” of the council poll.

Spin doctors and PR gurus undermining the democratic process for personal gain.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Guessing you're not working class then eh?

I own my own small business. By definition I am Middle Class - even though my income means that according to our wonderful goverment I am classified as living in 'abject poverty'. Suffice to say, my income means I do not pay much income tax!

Originally posted by teapot

All over the UK, ordinary people are waking up to the fact that democracy does not exist.

www.northnorfolknews.co.uk...

I find it very sad that people would oppose such a scheme - but I know people are often not presented with the facts and thus are readily swayed by political opinion.

Edit: and back to the OP - would you be happy living near a bunch of squatters who were stockpiling molotov cocktails and arranging for friends to be bused in to join them in an attack on a building adjacent to a girls boarding school? Do you condone such activity?

Thankfully the police acted before children were murdered.
edit on 23-4-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Peaceful protest has little effect, but violent protest only results in alienation from the wider community, what is needed to enact real change is mass civil disobedience not reckless destruction of property. Some witty graffiti (not scribbled everywhere just ONE clear message, blocking the entrance to the store and reoccuring protests daily would have been a more effective method of protest than smashing the windows, setting fires and fighting with police.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Edit: and back to the OP - would you be happy living near a bunch of squatters who were stockpiling molotov cocktails and arranging for friends to be bused in to join them in an attack on a building adjacent to a girls boarding school? Do you condone such activity?

Thankfully the police acted before children were murdered.

Because obviously it's very easy to confuse a boarding school with a supermarket?

Because you KNOW for an absolute certainty that those people throwing molotovs are incapable of aiming when throwing them?

I disagree. Sounds like they were pretty good shots. Several Hospitalised Police would also agree with me.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
More on the story:

www.guardian.co.uk...

The squatters whose treatment by police sparked an anti-Tesco riot near the centre of Bristol have denied any connection with activists campaigning against the supermarket giant.

Speaking in the aftermath of one of the most serious outbreaks of disorder in Bristol since the St Pauls riots in 1980, the four occupants of "Telepathic Heights", which was raided by police on Thursday night, also denied they had been manufacturing Molotov cocktails in the squat.

"We had no intention of attacking Tesco whatsoever," said Gavin Houghton, 28. "It was never on the cards – we have nothing to do with the anti-Tesco protest. They're a separate group.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
www.anhourago.co.uk...

Some images too.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The GOOD news is. That it will make police think twice before heavy handedly evicting the squatters.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join