It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUFON... opinions please?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I've been aware of MUFON since my interest in the paranormal began and have always considered them to be a great source for information. they were even mentioned in the x-files lol

Recently I've been given the opportunity to become an investigator with MUFON and hold a pretty significant title in Illinois! I'm pretty excited about this, but...

I wanted to get some feedback from other people that share my interests as to how MUFON is viewed publicly? Do you go there for information? Do you find them to be a credible source? Do you think they are too quick to accept information or too quick to dismiss it?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Hiya..I view MUFON as one of the most credible sources on this subject, they are serious investigators and have been featured on radio and television for many years now. MUFON is probably the most well known and accepted site for submitting a UFO report. Congrats to you keep us all informed of what you find or learn Cheers coco

www.mufon.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
From what I've read from and about MUFON, they seem to be, as a whole, one of the more reasonable and reliable organizations for investigating UFO phenomena and Contact/Encounters. In this field of investigation more often than not most individuals publishing are either out to sell a book/lecture/products or are mainly concerned with getting on any TV or film documentary coming or going. MUFON and their members seem more concerned with getting at the truth and sharing that information with any who are interested, that's a rare a good quality in this area, and they should be applauded for helping to bring some reliability to this field.

Now I said that first so people wont misinterpreter what I'm going to say next as a blatant attack on an otherwise good organization with members who genuinely care and work toward an honorable goal. Like with all organizations there is the bad as well as the good. The main problems I've come across with MUFON are really just two. First they, and by they that possibly some members and the leadership perhaps, but by no means the rank and file of good investigators, have had and to some degree still do, an urge to become the major source concerning all things UFO and Contact related. This has extended to actively trying to discredit many other organizations, though most of this occurred years ago, when the UFO organization fad had hit the USA and it seemed like every week there was a new organization appearing and claiming to be the only reliable one.

Also in the past and to some degree present, the origination has fallen prey to the same thing that sometimes effects all scientists, journalists, and any seeker after truth. Certain hypotheses have been made concerning UFOs and Encounters, and many times there is the urge to ignore or disregard any evidence that would cause a reexamining of those hypotheses, that includes personal accounts of UFO sightings and Contacts. This urge has lead to certain members even going so far as to tell people making these claims not talk to anyone else, and in some extreme cases actually harassing people who do report their encounters to other sources. Though the latter cases were very rare, and I've not come across very many in recent years.

The two above things I mentioned should be taken in a constructive and positive light with which they were given, and not as blatant attacks on anyone. MUFON is an origination made up of people, and as such has the same problems that come with any organization which has been around for more than a decade and is made up of people. People are people the world over, and the best we can do is to discuss matters in a reasonable way, like most do on here, and try to find our shortcomings, learn from them, and build on them.

Good luck sparda4355, may your journey for the truth be a fruitful one, and always remember Occam's Razor in all your investigations.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
There are good people in MUFON, from the top down to the bottom grunts such as yourself. However, my experience and that of other investigators tends to suspect that the primary purpose of MUFON is to control and present a particular type of slant to the whole field. Whether that was a legacy of Walt Andrus or a hidden duty of the org all along is not easy to say. So, mostly, you'll get personal opinions such as this one.

Believe it or not, back in the mid-1970s I has a strong if short exchange with a couple of board members of MUFON in their journal about their excluding abduction cases--that's right, Richard Hall, for one, did not want MUFON involved with abduction cases. They did not consider them valid from the top down.

I also have been disappointed in MUFON's lack of follow up on important sightings. I personally interviewed a wtness back in the mid-1980s who along with his son had an incredible sighting of two large dark, slow, low and silent objects moving across an Oklahoma highway. This sighting even today would have been an excellent, typical triangle sighting, but Andrus personally dismissed the whole sighting to me,

My position is that MUFON is a cog in the rotation of a carefully controlled wheel, unofficially taking the place of a government project such as was Project Blue Book and should be viewed as that. As such, they will never be the ones to crack the mystery but want to be the "go-to" people..

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well that's pretty awesome. Congradulations! As simply as I can put it, MUFON, at least when I think of the organization I think of a great organization doing cool things in and around anything dealing with UFO's and the such. I've also heard a bunch of people say that they also like MUFON a lot (and a lot weren't even on here!). Also, if I'm not mistaken one night on Larry King Dan Aykroid (spelling?) was a spokesperson for them. So that's pretty sweet too! Heh then again...I am a fan of ghostbusters. But in all seriousness...I do like MUFON. Good job, again, having a chance to hold that position!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

I seldom go to MUFON. I like Mr. Davenport and his information site for new reports.

www.nuforc.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I am not sure what to think about them. They are well known but it seems as if other UFO media groups have taken a stronger roll and such.
I guess MUFON really isn't a media outlet and more of a reporting center but either way, they are needed.

I have reported all my UFO sightings to MUFON. A few months later they contacted me and wanted to question me further about my sightings. They were pretty helpful in telling me how to describe it the lady I spoke with seemed rather knowledgeable .... and weird

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Wel, I want to thank all of you for your feedback, and although some of the issues are quite disturbing... They do not surprise me. I've been informed like any group, disinformation agents do sneak through the cracks, they even know who they are... But can't eliminate them all. The guy I spoke with, was awesome! So informational, so real!

I'm actually very excited, and even more so after getting all this feedback! I promise to be open minded in all my cases, but must maintain a realistic discretionary purpose, or I will never be taken seriously.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I check the site everyonce in a while just as a curiosity
more then anything.

I usually check the 20 last reports.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I have been following the site every day for new reports, just to see what kind of reports are coming in...

Tonight there is an oddity in reports there right now about triangle craft with 8 yellow lights, and they are multiple locations of the same thing... Like 5 or 6 reports of the same kind of triangle craft all with 8 yellow lights..

But I was suspicious when reading the reports and think it might be the same person doing it and just typing in different cities and info... but who knows..

Still though, MUFON does fill a niche for me, and sometimes there are some excellent reports with good video or images, but really really good ones are not that common...

You always have to sift through the reports and decide what is honest and what is junk, but it is worth checking out and keeping track of, just to be doing something..

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I was just wondering about MUFON myself latly, and Im glad I did a search as I almost made a similar post. I am glad MUFON exists and have even made a report to them with a follow up even by my local representative. I was impressed with the sincerity and proffesionalism the gentleman showed. he asked very direct and pertinent questions and seemed legit in his representation of a respectable organisation. I just this very day signed up for their newsletter and hope to glean some usefull and interesting info from it. thanx for the post OP.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Mufon seems to have a disfunctional website since july 27...

The last 20 reports no longer works and just takes you to the report form..

Looking at the real time map shows absolutely no new reports since July 27th.. and they have always had many new reports daily up till this..

Have emailed them on this and no one responds..

Can no longer view the "last 20 reports" or watch or view pictures or other media/vids

These people are unresponsive.. anyone know whats up with them?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

I'll give sam a call and see if he knows what's up

new topics

top topics

join