It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it means to be a man Texas style!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
One mans stand

Brad, Texas (CNN) -- As far as places to make a last stand against a fast-moving wildfire go, a large woodpile has to rank among the worst.

But for five days, starting on Friday, Ken Mackey fought a blaze among the piles of cedar posts he sells for a living that are stacked 15 feet high outside his rural Texas home.

Mackey said authorities told him and his neighbors to evacuate as the wildfire began to bear down on the area around Brad, about 80 miles west of Fort Worth.

His answer to the officials, like much of the 71-year-old Texan's profanity-laced speech, can't be printed.

edit on 21-4-2011 by ripcontrol because: laughing as I read and searched

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
So it means being stubborn as hell but will take a stand for what's his?
Sounds about right. Yeeeehaaaaaw!
Kudos to that madman

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

"What kind of a question is that, now listen!" Mackey said, treating an out-of-town reporter's inquiry about why he didn't take cover as an insult to his manhood.

"If your house is on fire or close to it, would you leave?"

This old man seems to be hilarious...

they cant print his response because of his vocabulary...

Good sir, pure texan

I applaud his efforts and actions.... I hope he prevails against the odds here....

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
So it means being stubborn as hell but will take a stand for what's his?
Sounds about right. Yeeeehaaaaaw!
Kudos to that madman

your shootin straight....

story highlights

# Ken Mackey, 71, defies warnings by staying behind to protect his home from wildfire
# Mackey has lived at same house in Brad, Texas, since 1972
# Everything around his home has been burned, including a store and a service station
# Brad is about 80 miles west of Fort Worth

what gets me is the part of defying warnings I can tell the author is not from the south... or texas....

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
No one here is scared of them fires. We would pour gasoline on them, but gas has gotten too expensive, so we pour Tequila from Mexico.
We are trying real hard to "lead" them fires down to Mexico, but about half of the boys want to lead the fires up to Oklahoma instead. I suspect it is because they have some "backs" working for them... and they are Longhorn fans, but that is just me.
So, how do you "lead" a fire? Fuel. Give a fire something to burn, and it will go there every time, wind permitting.

So, the lesson is this. Don't give a potential fire anything to burn, and it can't burn. If it burns your place down, perhaps you aren't...aint from Texas.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Good for him...The people here in N.C. didn't stand up when they had there chance the other day. After the Bad Tornadoes destroyed a entire Mobil Home park, the police told them yesterday they had 15 mins to get what they wanted and the rest would be taken off as rubbish..Some of these people owned these homes. Don't you know they should have told the police to go to hell and they were going to get any and all their belongings...So, the police right now are going through this stuff and getting out what they want, under cover of night and a 1/4 mile police tape line barrier. I can just see them telling me, "he you, you got 15 mins to get your mess and get the hell away from here or be arrested" yea right.....and I own my home and property too.....it will never happen.....People have GOT TO start standing up for their rights.......

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

First I have heard that. All of my friends and myself included are able to get on our propery whenever we please. The barricade is set up to keep looters out which don't even live in the proximity. The police thankfully arrested a few looters this week...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

reply to post by ripcontrol

The examples abound...

My standards of what it means to be a man has changed but not the basics....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Reply to post by ripcontrol

Hell yeah.

Makes me proud right there.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

join