It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pneumonia cases on the rise in japan after accident ..did the same after Chernobyl..warning sign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
One of the early indicators of ill health effects to come is the rise in Pneumonia according to my research.
Exposure to prolonged doses of ionizing radiation due to a accident is linked to an increase in Respiratory illness up to and including lung cancer..

The effects on the pulmonary system are not acute and usually appear one to six months after exposure, especially after therapeutic exposures. Pneumonitis with resultant alveolar hemorrhage and pulmonary edema occurs earlier than the dreaded post-radiation pneumonia, which is often fatal.

source

studies have been done to show the increase in cases of lung cancer

Human health research studies compare the patterns of disease among groups of people with different amounts of exposure to a suspected risk factor. Below are results reported from such studies of lung cancer among people exposed to ionizing radiation.

All of these studies found increased risk and possible increases in lung cancer risk among exposed groups

source of study showing the testing results..

before the onsets of cases of cancer other respiratory illnesses start showing up in contaminated areas..

after the 1986 disaster at Chernobyl reactor an increase in Pneumonia was found

Distinct changes in the clinical picture of acute pneumonia were noted in patients subjected to constant prolonged (1986-1990) effect of small doses of ionizing radiation as a result of residing in the contaminated territory after the Chernobyl atomic station disaster. These changes included increased duration of the disease, frequency of protracted forms, suppression of the immune system

source

to understand the next report I feel I need to provide this info

Vital capacity is the maximum amount of air a person can expel from the lungs after a maximum inspiration. It is equal to the inspiratory reserve volume plus the tidal volume plus the expiratory reserve volume.

A person's vital capacity can be measured by a spirometer which can be a wet or regular spirometer. In combination with other physiological measurements, the vital capacity can help make a diagnosis of underlying lung disease

wiki

After the Chernobyl accident in 1986, children of the contaminated Narodichesky region of Ukraine were obliged to participate in a yearly medical screening. They have been exposed to ^sup 137^cesium (^sup 137^Cs; half-life = 30 years) in contaminated soils, air, and food.

RESULTS: Children living in villages with the highest quintile of soil ^sup 137^Cs were 2.60 times more likely to have forced vital capacity (FVC) < 80% of predicted [95% confidence interval (CI), 1.07-6.34] and 5.08 times more likely to have a ratio of forced expiratory volume in 1 sec (FEV^sub 1^) to FVC% < 80% (95% CI, 1.02-25.19). We found statistically significant evidence of both airway obstruction (FEV^sub 1^/FVC%, peak expiratory flow, and maximum expiratory flow at 25%, 50%, and 75% of FVC) and restriction (FVC) with increasing soil ^sup 137^Cs.

CONCLUSIONS: These findings are unique and suggest significant airway obstruction and restriction consequences for children chronically exposed to low-dose radioactive contaminants

source

Infant death rates showed an increase as well with Pneumonia listed as a top cause of death

These findings document elevated rates of neonatal and postneonatal mortality in the Mogilev region of Belarus compared to rates in Europe and the US.

The major causes of infant deaths are shown in Table 1. For male infants, pneumonia (12.3%), prematurity (11.8%), acute viral syndrome/influenza (10.5%), congenital heart defects (10.2%), asphyxia (5.9%), cardiopulmonary insufficiency (5.2%) and multiple congenital defects (5.2%) represented leading causes of death. Among female infants, the leading causes of death were acute viral syndrome (12.4%), congenital heart defects (11.0%), pneumonia (10.4%), prematurity (9.7%), asphyxia (5.8), multiple congenital defects (5.2%) and cardiopulmonary insufficiency (5.0%).

a note should be made that this study lists several other factors as well, poor health care system..etc.. does not directly tie in to radiation exposure but does not rule it out either.

that leads us to

SENDAI — At least 11 people have died of pneumonia and about 150 have been hospitalized with the illness at Ishinomaki Red Cross Hospital in Miyagi Prefecture since the March 11 quake and tsunami, the hospital said Tuesday.

Cases of pneumonia are also increasing at hospitals in other tsunami-ravaged areas, including Kesennuma City Hospital, also in Miyagi, and Iwate Prefectural Miyako Hospital

The number of patients is five to six times higher than during the same period last year, it said.

source

I am NOT saying all these cases are a result of radiation exposure..however these events do need to be watched..

and for anyone wanting to watch for a increase in the U.S this may be a good site to watch..
CDC

however keep in mind a increase may be hard to spot

The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) has been at or above the epidemic threshold for 11 consecutive weeks

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer last year. She had chemo and then radiation theraphy. She was doing pretty good up until the last week of radiation and then she fell very weak. She then diagnosed with pneumonia due to radiation. Her doctor claims it is a common occurence. She was prescribed many oral drugs for her pnemonia and shortness of breath. Now she is off the drugs but not feeling any better. At her last examination the drs said her tumor was completely disappeared but her right lung was a bit filled with fluid. They decided not to drain it after weighing pros and cons (mother is 66 years old). Anyhow, she is still weak and have shortness of breath. I was wondering anybody has any experience with radiation related pneumonia?

Thanks in advance.

www.healthboards.com...

Google "radiation onset pneumonia"

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Anecdotally speaking, my father died from pneumonia in the hospital while he was receiving radiation treatments for cancer. The doctors told me that this is an unfortunate commonality with radiation treatment therapy and my father was too weak to fight it off.

The sad thing is the pneumonia from radiation treatment killed him faster than the untreated cancer would have.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thank you both for your replies..
It's a very sobering thing to think about isn't it....
It is one of those things ignored when you see those reports "no threat to human health"

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
It has begun. Chernobyl's experience of people's health after the disaster, as it will show the effects of what Japan will deal with.
(S&F)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
It has begun. Chernobyl's experience of people's health after the disaster, as it will show the effects of what Japan will deal with.
(S&F)

I fear that Japan will not be alone in suffering through this. We may be joining them as we have to all suffer the consequences of this disaster.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Thanks for an informative post.

Thanks too to those of you who have had personal experiences with this: curing cancer with radiation when radiation causes cancer... this is all the conventional medical profession has to offer us?

My mother died of cancer after very lengthy chemo and radiation therapies. Nothing worked and in the end they just sent her home and left her to die.

I'll be watching for signs of increased cases pneumonia in my community, especially in children.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by antoinemarionette

I'll be watching for signs of increased cases pneumonia in my community, especially in children.

Not a bad Idea, I would hope others do the same thing

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I am trying to keep an open mind on this - are diseases more likely to be spread though if the community is holed up in some large gym [with so many people losing their homes]? I guess this could be proved /disproved if you looked at the pneumonia figures after say hurricane Katrina

Still good find and compares to the scientist who was saying that all sorts of diseases are rife..

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

Radiation onset pneumonia starts showing up 1-6 months after exposure which "fits" the timeline pretty well. Other types of pneumonia show up in a few days to 2 weeks or so. At this moment it is difficult to infer what type of pneumonia these patients have since the causes can be from radiation or lingering effects of the tsunami. If pneumonia continues to be a problem in the future however, we can be relatively certain that it is due to radiation sickness.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
it's been hard keeping up with all the stuff going on in Japan, but I decided to revisit this thread and add a few things..some of it news a few months old...but recording it here anyway..

from November 18, 2011

Japan's Emperor Akihito has bronchial pneumonia

AP) TOKYO — Japan's royal household says Emperor Akihito has been diagnosed with mild bronchial pneumonia and remains hospitalized for a 12th day

Cbsnews

seems like more of the Royal family had it as well
from nov 3 2011

Japan's Princess Aiko suffering from pneumonia

Princess Aiko, the nine-year-old granddaughter of Japan's emperor and empress, is suffering from pneumonia.

Telegraph

from nov 5

Japan's upper house president dies of pneumonia

Takeo Nishioka, president of Japan's House of Councilors, died of pneumonia at a hospital in Tokyo early Saturday morning, Kyodo News reported. He was 75

source

please note..the cases I am listing here are in no way all of the cases..I am just picking out a few to post

from Dec 27

Famed Japanese industrial designer Sori Yanagi dies of pneumonia

Japanese industrial designer Sori Yanagi, whose kitchen and homeware stood at the vanguard of contemporary design for decades, has died of pneumonia, his office said Monday. He was 96.

source

here is a interesting one

Pneumonia virus spreading rapidly (Japan Times, Sep. 22, 2011)

While the RS virus usually hits epidemic levels in winter, cases have been rising since around June at the fastest pace since 2004

source

Now I am not saying radiation caused these cases, in fact there will be no way to know until, in time hopefully we see the numbers..

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
this is only the beginning. The cobalt doomsday bomb would kill everyone on earth within 5 years. The russians may have actually made one.and this is with just 5 tonnes of cobalt.
Now chernobyl was equivalent to 6hundred Hiroshimas. At Fukushima you have maybe 6 reactors in meltdowns and thousands of tonnes of spent fuel which ,I have yet to see a picture with those pools intact,are god knows where.
Then compare the photo evidence from chernobyl and Fukushima, then realise reactors were still running at chernobyl many years after the accident.
I certainly beleive its game over and the ptb know it
How could they admit it?
Live for now and and be happy.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Thank you and keep the info coming because were getting buck-all over here about Japan.

We need to know the symptoms to look out for in areas affected in the US, like the Pacific Northwest, Arizona and California, which were all bombarded with radiation.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I thought I would check back in with this thread and see how things have been panning out.

News coming out if Japan has been pretty tight and hard to come by but I did want to add this bit of info

NHK reported, 500 hospitals all around in Japan have 501 patients of mycoplasma pneumonia in total, which is the largest number in past 10 years during the week by 9/9/2012.

Source

But how are things looking outside of japan now?

Medical professionals say there's a rise in bronchitis and pneumonia cases this summer,and whooping cough cases this year

[url=http://m.kfvs12.com/autojuice?targetUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.kfvs12.com%2fstory%2f19105420%2frise-in-whooping-cough-bronchitis-and-pneumonia]Source[/ url]

As we come into the height of the flu season, keep a close eye out I expect this will be a really hard hitting season

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Greetings:

Keep up the good work and keep looking...

Radiation pneumonitis is an inflammation of the lungs due to radiation therapy.

This side effect of radiation therapy occurs in 5 to 15% of people who go through radiation therapy for lung cancer, but can also result from radiation to the chest for breast cancer, lymphomas, or other cancers.

Symptoms most commonly occur between 1 and 6 months after completing radiation therapy. The risk of developing this complication depends on the dose of radiation used and the amount of tissue treated. It is more common if chemotherapy is given at the same time as radiation therapy, and is more likely to occur if you have other lung diseases, such as COPD. With treatment, most people recover without any lasting effects.
source

After almost TWO YEARS (676 days) of 24/7/365 radiation spewing from triple melt-throughs at Fukushima, is it just possible that our immune systems have been somewhat compromised?

Fallout fluenza just might be FukuFlu due to the radiation rainouts that have been continuing for years ever since nuclear bomb testing in the atmosphere... and aggravated by Nukushima...

And vaccinations seem incapable of keeping our children safe from 'whooping cough.'

Whooping Cough Outbreak Involved 90% Vaccinated Kids

So we turn to phys.org for news... and Fuku Flu jumps out - with CIA and Stuxnet in the same paragraph...

Britain warns over state-sponsored cyber attacks

[color=magenta]Peace Love Light
tfw
[color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Somebody do me a favour and confirm that China is probably unaffected by this.

Got some friends out there, and with the recent cold spell and fog, seems like just the ingredients needed for pneumonia.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by dowot

Well China is very affected by this as well, sad to say..

China - Pneumonia surge in children exceeds previous years - Qingdao, Shandong province

China - Visits to pediatric hospital clinic up 30% - 80% of which is ILI & respiratory disease in Hangzhou, Guangdong province

China - Upper respiratory emergency room patients doubled year-over-year: tests rule out influenza - Guangzhou, Guangdong province

Source

Just a quick search landed lots of info...hope this answers your question

top topics

join