It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony PlayStation Network Down for a 'Day or Two

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I honestly couldn't decide if this is a rant or not.

Source

Sony said Thursday that its PlayStation Network, the online service that connects Sony's game consoles like the PlayStation 3, may be out for a "full day or two" due to an unexpected and unexplained outage.
Sony first confirmed the outage at 5:50 PM Wednesday night, when Patrick Seybold, the senior director of corporate communications and social media, reported that "We're aware certain functions of PlayStation Network are down," Seybold said. "We will report back here as soon as we can with more information."
At 9:34 AM on Thursday, Seybold added the latest information, which will be grim news for PlayStation players.
"While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we're able to get the service completely back up and running," Seybold added. "Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we'll update you again as soon as we can."

I really don't watch a lot of TV and I get enough time on the internet, so I tend to play video games during times most people do these things. (my fiancee is studying for the CPA exams currently) For the last two days...yesterday as well as today, I have been unable to connect to the PSN due to the unknown issues. That isn't so bad in itself but it got me thinking about why the services are down. Anon is taking the stance that this is not their doing, but I've been experiencing a lot more intermittent problems with the PSN since their attack at the beginning of the month. So, I believe Sony is working right now to kill two birds with one stone by upgrading the PSN infrastructure (to hinder future attacks) as well as devising some new encryption for a new firmware update (further creating difficulties for guys like geohot). Poor business practice if you ask me. They'll soon enough realize that someone is going to hack whatever new methods they devise.

Looks like I'll be catching up on episodes of that silly ass Ancient Alien series.

edit on 4/21/2011 by freakjive because: source added

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Sony has its ups and downs. I bought one for the (surprise surprise) DC Universe game and not only can you not trade the game (serial # is tied to the system) but it is soo full of glitches that I puked straight up into the air and let it rain down on me. Not to mention the $15/month charge... I will NEVER buy another PS game again...or system. XBOX got it more or less right the first time.

ps- I hate Sony.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

microsoft is just as #ty as sony...they're both practically the same platform with different names and the same price...

they wouldn't even be having these problems if it wasn't for anon going on a pissy fit over something stupid...I always thought they fought for real issues...but i've come to the understanding that there are quite a few annoying nerds among them who seem overzealous at taking a stand on stupid issues...why doesn't anon attack microsoft as well?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
You guys both make great points. I bought DCUO and wasn't impressed in the slightest. Not with the gameplay, nor the $15 a month fee for a dodgy game.

I also agree in regards to XBL. Those users have to pay a monthly fee and when their systems go down, I'd imagine some ticked off gamers.

I do know that Anon chose to go after Sony mainly for the legislation brought against George Holtz for hacking the system. I just don't understand why Sony didn't try to hire the guy. It will be interesting with what MS does with all the hackers and the Kinect system. I've already seen videos of people operating robotics by use of that system.
edit on 4/21/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

The thing that really pisses me off is I can't even launch Netflix from my PS3 because it requires me to be logged into the Playstation network.

Other than that I mostly play single player games offline anyway but what a huge bummer all around....

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

I guess as a plus for the ps3 is that you can download movies online, put it on a thumb drive and plug and play on the ps3..that is what mine is now. I refuse to pay for theatre movies when I pay for watching commercials. Sorry off topic...but my ps3 is just a glorified dvd player now.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Its still down and its really annoying me

God damn those hackers and i only needed one more trophy to get my platinum on Uncharted 2 but it was the buddy system one which means i need to be online.....perfect timing

top topics

join