It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Perry Issues Proclamation for Days of Prayer for Rain in Texas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I dont recall ever seeing this done before, anyone else have an idea if this is a first?

WHEREAS, the state of Texas is in the midst of an exceptional drought, with some parts of the state receiving no significant rainfall for almost three months, matching rainfall deficit records dating back to the 1930s; and

WHEREAS, a combination of higher than normal temperatures, low precipitation and low relative humidity has caused an extreme fire danger over most of the State, sparking more than 8,000 wildfires which have cost several lives, engulfed more than 1.8 million acres of land and destroyed almost 400 homes, causing me to issue an ongoing disaster declaration since December of last year; and

WHEREAS, these dire conditions have caused agricultural crops to fail, lake and reservoir levels to fall and cattle and livestock to struggle under intense stress, imposing a tremendous financial and emotional toll on our land and our people; and

WHEREAS, throughout our history, both as a state and as individuals, Texans have been strengthened, assured and lifted up through prayer; it seems right and fitting that the people of Texas should join together in prayer to humbly seek an end to this devastating drought and these dangerous wildfires;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, RICK PERRY, Governor of Texas, under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Texas, do hereby proclaim the three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011, to Sunday, April 24, 2011, as Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas. I urge Texans of all faiths and traditions to offer prayers on that day for the healing of our land, the rebuilding of our communities and the restoration of our normal and robust way of life.

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto signed my name and have officially caused the Seal of State to be affixed at my Office in the City of Austin, Texas, this the 21st day of April, 2011.

RICK PERRY
Governor of Texas

governor.state.tx.us...

In any case, I hope this brings rain...and it will be interesting nonetheless.

My heart and prayers are with them.

edit on 21-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
They need all the help that they can get down there. It must be a very desperate predicament to have to endure. I understand that two fire fighters have lost their life's so far fighting this blaze. I hope that they get some rain soon. My thoughts are with them.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

Yes mine as well.

I was not aware of the severity of all of it until I came across this news.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I am astonished that the first response to this news was not "What in the world is wrong with Texas, that the Governor thinks that a rain dance will save them??"

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This is the Governor that wants Texas to secede from the union.

I have great sympathy for the people of Texas and pray they get help.
And also pray they get a better Governor.

Prayer is fine

But there is an old Arab proverb

"Trust in God but tie your camel"

He should declare his plight as a natural disaster and ask for help from the Federal Government,

But he may feel that he doesn’t need it being one of those John Wayne Republican tough guy types who thinks everybody can make it on their own.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
This is the Governor that wants Texas to secede from the union.

......He should declare his plight as a natural disaster and ask for help from the Federal Government,

reply to post by inforeal

Yes, he does want to secede, same one.

It appears he has declared a disaster, and is requesting help.

governor.state.tx.us...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
I am astonished that the first response to this news was not "What in the world is wrong with Texas, that the Governor thinks that a rain dance will save them??"

Nothing that Rick Perry does surprises us here in Texas anymore. We've just gotten used to it. Maybe we should pray for more fire trucks while we're at it. These severe droughts have been going on here in Texas for several years now and I think these droughts are "the canary in the coal mine" when it comes to Climate Change and the fact that it's real. Texas may just be facing a new reality of less annual rainfall on a much more permanent basis.

Rain would be great but I doubt that a rain dance is going to cause a downpour. Like California, I think we had better prepare ourselves for fire seasons that are much more severe than those of the past.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

I am not from Texas, however do have many freinds down there.

I cant really say to much bad about him, as he cant be as bad as many,

however he has done some questionable things IMO.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This is the guy who would complain about being a part of a “nanny state” government.

But now he sees that it is useful to be a part of a “nanny” state, for what would he do without the US federal government?

Let all the tough guys here who don’t want to be a part of a “nanny state” go down to Texas and see how that would be without the good old federal Government coming in to save the citizens of Texas in need.

These tough guys always fade in the face of Mother Nature or God or whatever.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The governor did this in Georgia about hmmm maybe three or four years ago. It worked too! Two years later.

www.npr.org...
edit on 4/21/2011 by ~Lucidity because: to add link

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
The governor did this in Georgia about hmmm maybe three or four years ago. It worked too! Two years later.

www.npr.org...
edit on 4/21/2011 by ~Lucidity because: to add link

Interesting...

I guess we shall see....

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me in the least. Rick Perry and Todd Staples had all of the students at the Palestine Texas high school locked in the school auditorium for a prayer service a few years back for a prayer service... The one girl that stood in protest and her family were terribly harassed, gang stalked and had their cars vandalized.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

Thats terrible, I am all for willing prayer, but not forced.
What good does it do then?

And its disgusting anyone would have harmed her, by words or her vehicle.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

The southwest isnt getting any rain,while the southeast is getting all they need(I live in Georgia). I feel for the folks in Texas and Oklahoma and hope they get rain soon!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It's pretty bad down here. What's almost worse than the drought is that the ground is so dry that when it does finally rain it can't soak in. It just runs off and floods.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Already requested it. The Fed told him to bugger off.

He is requesting funds that Texas has already put into the system.

Texas gets back $0.94 for every $1.00 it gives to the Feds.

The GDP of Texas is $1,144.695 billion, which is a bit less than Russia.

You do the math.

edit on 4/21/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

So what, in my part of the country, the Northeast, we don’t even get that much back, but we don’t talk nonsense about seceding from the union and how independent we are.
If the Governor of Texas doesn’t want to be in the union
WE WILL BE GLAD TO GIVE TEXAS BACK TO MEXICO!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Comparing your state to Texas.

But that is neither here nor there.

I am just commenting on you making an issue of him requesting money from the government that he wants to secede from.

My point is that the money he is requesting is Texas' money to begin with.

Oh . . . and Texas would not go back to Mexico. There was this thing called the War for Texas Independence (from Mexico). You might not know this, but Texas was its own country for 10 years. So Texas would go back to Texas . . . not Mexico.

edit on 4/21/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

With all due respect your point was redundant and really wasn’t to relevant to anything in the first place, since it is known that states give to the feds and get stuff in return. I was referring to the well known fact that this governor and other Republican tough guys— who usually don’t seem to have much concern about their citizens—are known to refuse federal government funds. And as far as going back to Mexico . . . that is as likely as Texas seceding. . . . I was being facetious.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
NOW, THEREFORE, I, RICK PERRY, Governor of Texas, under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Texas, do hereby proclaim the three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011, to Sunday, April 24, 2011, as Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas. I urge Texans of all faiths and traditions to offer prayers on that day for the healing of our land, the rebuilding of our communities and the restoration of our normal way of life.

Now i guess the question you have too ask yourself is this,,,does that look like "and every tribe shall bend their knee in submision before their one god ?
Well to be honest i kinda don't know myself,, so i quess the question is,, do you believe him or not people,,, well do ya,,,,
Sorry Clint

top topics

<<   2 >>

join