It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama OKs use of armed drone aircraft in Libya

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your article says nothing about troops on the ground. Even though you may be right about troops being there eventually, the evidence you're currently putting forth is lacking of any verification.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

General James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the U.S. plan called for keeping two patrols of armed Predators above Libya at any given time, permitting better surveillance -- and targeting -- of Gaddafi's forces. The drones are based in the region but typically flown by remote control by pilots in the United States.

af.reuters.com...

Like I said before, boots on the ground.

-beez

Must have missed something despite reading the albeit brief article. Are you inferring that the term "targeting" implies troops on the ground? Because I and others have pointed out the fact that the drones DO NOT require ground based human supplied telemetry for targeting. Am I missing something?

I recently watched an episode of CNN's situation room. Candi Crowley interviewed Major General James "Spider" Marks SPECIFICALLY about the requirement for boots on the ground. (TRANSCRIPT EXCERPT)

CROWLEY: Let me ask you one thing about the Predator drone, that I don't understand. I know they are very precision oriented. They can hit a target that it's programmed for. But don't you have to have boots on the ground to tell you what it to hit? Isn't it totally dependent on what sort of information you have?

MARKS: Well, it is dependent on information, but a Predator can employ its weapons system, a hellfire missile, for example. But that target can be lazed or at least designated by another system. And it doesn't have to be from somebody on the ground, another Predator could do it for you.

SOURCE OF TRANSCRIPT FROM APRIL 23RD BROADCAST

Beezer are you saying the Major General is a liar?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

The drones are based in the region

Exerpt taken from source

The drones are based in the region. I guess you can refuel them from Nevada, long hose but I suppose it's possible.
Is the general lying? Dunno. Is he telling the whole truth?

Doubt it.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hmmmmm. Obviously there are many variations but the most common type has sufficient range to perform sorties based OUTSIDE country. 1,600 nautical miles EACH WAY.

Range: 3,200 nmi

SOURCE

But thanks for the reply. I appreciate it and enjoy presenting FACTS to rebute unsubstantiated theories.

At least you have acquiesced to service / support personnel on ground as opposed to combat troops.

A chink in the armor.

edit on 26-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Nope, just as honest a reply as I can give using public sources. But you are right. Right now I have nothing but unsubstatiated theories.

Right now.

Later?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

< speaking into stapler microphone >

I can appreciate that your inside confidential sources and ultra high security clearance precludes you from discussing matters of National Security any further. Thank you for your fine service to this great country, you sir are a true patriot.

CODE BLUE: Saddle the camels we ride at dawn.

edit on 26-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join