It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arrest man INSIDE his house for taking cell phone video of traffic stop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
WTF! The insanity just reached another level! It's now eleventy!

CBS reports

VALLEJO (CBS 5) — The Vallejo Police Department is under scrutiny after a man was handcuffed and cited for recording four people being arrested near his home. [...]

While Duchine was recording, Officer Scott Yates approached and asked for his cell phone, saying it was evidence. After Duchine refused, he was handcuffed and issued a ticket for obstructing justice. Video of the incident was then posted on YouTube.

Another scumbag who shouldn't be a cop... Fire him and take his pension fund and give it to Duchine.
edit on 21-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

What a lucky man. He will receive a multi million dollar settlement to just forget about the situation!!

Stupid cops, no wonder people hate them worldwide there are so many who are just worthless

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
They would need a warrant to take your cell phone.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
strolls right up and "i am going to take that camera its evidence"

gestapo!!!!! dont forget people cops are union boys.

alot of people say there are alot of good cops out there i have yet to find one.

every police cruiser is equipped with video thesedays which leads me to believe alot of shady things go on and they do stuff like this so there are no independent accounts of any given situtation.

we live in a police state when the cops can and do whatever they want and the individual rights have become whatever the cops want them to be.

can you say zeig heil?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicalthinking
They would need a warrant to take your cell phone.

Not according to the Californian supreme court.

The next time you're in California, you might not want to bring your cell phone with you. The California Supreme Court ruled Monday that police can search the cell phone of a person who's been arrested -- including text messages -- without obtaining a warrant, and use that data as evidence.

The ruling opens up disturbing possibilities, such as broad, warrantless searches of e-mails, documents and contacts on smart phones, tablet computers, and perhaps even laptop computers, according to legal expert Mark Rasch.

edit on 21-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The man that videoed the police was not arrested.

Here is another Article about this incident.

Here is a quote from this article.

"However, after posting the video off the confrontation on Youtube (Duchine refused to give up the phone and police apparently did not press the point), police are backtracking from their actions, stating that there is an investigation in progress and that actions could be taken upon completion if it was found that officers acted improperly.

So, what is the legal side in this case?

Legally speaking, the general rule for photographing police is this: it is perfectly legal to photograph on-duty police so long as the photographer doesn't interfere with police business.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Man films police from his own garage, gets arrested for it - National photography | Examiner.com www.examiner.com...
edit on 21-4-2011 by Wildbob77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Buwahahaha before I clicked on this post I was thinking to myself.. "This must be in CA".. Cop should be charged with trespassing and armed robbery, oh and assault, and kidnapping.

Deebo

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
NAZI NAZI NAZI !! Man the public in the US better start standing up for them selves !! SOON !

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Commin' straight out of Compton. # the police!

2nd

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Stupid cops think they can lord it over us. Fire him. Let that city and department prepare for their well deserved lawsuit.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Another article on it here that gives some details of what went down.

Police try to confiscate cell phone video of arrest

Duchine turned his cell phone camera toward several police officers who were ordering four young people out of a white car. Suddenly, from the right of the frame on the video shot by Duchine, a Vallejo police officer is seen demanding his phone. "I'm going to take this phone because it's going to be evidence."

"The officer drove up and basically said he was taking my phone for evidence and I was like, well why?" said Duchine.

Rather than give it to the officer, he handed the phone to the friend who took it into the house. The officer then put Duchine in handcuffs.

"I don't think that he had probable cause to arrest me, but he did," he said.

Duchine was cited for interfering with a police officer in the performance of his duties and released. He never did give police his phone, but he did post the video on YouTube.

The police claim they are looking at what happened and will take corrective action if needed.

I don't honestly believe they will - but they say they will.

Police also say they doubt they will file any charges against Duchine (the guy with the phone). I'm sure this getting on youtube and the news has LOTS to do with that. Otherwise, they'd likely throw whatever they could at him.

As for the kids that were stopped at gunpoint. It turns out they were the wrong kids too and not involved in anything and were let go.

All in all - not a good day for the Vallejo PD it sounds like.

edit on 21-4-2011 by Frogs because: somehow the quote got messed up

edit on 21-4-2011 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

hi Wildbob77. i'm afraid i have to disagree with your statement:

"Legally speaking, the general rule for photographing police is this: it is perfectly legal to photograph on-duty police so long as the photographer doesn't interfere with police business."

I've read exceptions to this in news posted online. The reasoning used was there was undercover detectives inspecting a crime scene, and they did not want pictures posted which may compromise the undercovers identity. In that same article they also mentioned something about having respect for the victim and her family, which to me weakened their first claim.

Wildbob77 it seems to me the United States are only united by taxes and a flag. In most all other respects TPTB try to keep the States divided and conquered, making things much more difficult for the common man. We are all upheld to keeping the law; ignorance of the law is no excuse, but there is no handy guidebook telling us what is illegal!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Already been posted a few times in the past few days. Here's one thread...
abovetopsecret.com

I'm all for keeping this type of abuse front page news but posting the same videos/articles just clutters up ATS and makes it that much harder to search..

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I have a solution to all these problems that plague us as a human race:

All it takes is unity. If people feel something is wrong, say for instance, how marijuana is illegal, if everyone stood up, without fear of persecution, went outside anyday, anytime, everyday, all day, and lit up joints all across the world what would happen? Yes thousands would be persecuted, beaten, jailed, lose parts of their life. Thats what would happen, but if there was a continuous effort, they can keep locking people up, killing them, beating them, harassing them. So f***ing what! The time is now to stand, TOGETHER. Unless we do things will continue on just as they have forever. The message is unity. Forget your fears, and love will ensue. Love only.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
BRAVO!!!!THE COPS HURRAAAYYYY!!! THEY JUST MAKE ANOTHER MILLIONAIRE!!!!!!!!...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Ow my neck hurts from watching that...

But yeah wow, they just pounced right on the guy... No questioning or anything, GIMME YOUR CELLPHONE

How about I give you the finger, and you give me my phone call! lol

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
reply to post by Wildbob77

hi Wildbob77. i'm afraid i have to disagree with your statement:

"Legally speaking, the general rule for photographing police is this: it is perfectly legal to photograph on-duty police so long as the photographer doesn't interfere with police business."

I've read exceptions to this in news posted online. The reasoning used was there was undercover detectives inspecting a crime scene, and they did not want pictures posted which may compromise the undercovers identity. In that same article they also mentioned something about having respect for the victim and her family, which to me weakened their first claim.

Wildbob77 it seems to me the United States are only united by taxes and a flag. In most all other respects TPTB try to keep the States divided and conquered, making things much more difficult for the common man. We are all upheld to keeping the law; ignorance of the law is no excuse, but there is no handy guidebook telling us what is illegal!

"Au contrare" my good man!

I must sincerely disagree! The supreme law of the land is accessible and written in plain english for the everyman! It's not overly long; heavy or teduious.Pocket sized (citizen portable) copies are commonly available (free in many instances).

Its called "the constitution"!.

edit on 21-4-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This is the exact reason I carry a glock17 with hollow tips. Cop comes on my property demanding my cellphone he better think twice!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'm thankful the state of Connecticut has a bill being introduced within the state government actually allowing a citizen the right to tape a cop while on duty, and that the police need to pay for any damages if they do attempt to interfere.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join