It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahsat: The Muslim World’s First Satellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

We don’t hear much about Muslim scientists in the field of space and astronomy, but there have been many amazing contributions. In recent years, we would rarely think about Muslims when speaking about space. Usually NASA and Russia are at the forefront of any conversation regarding space, but now we have reason to speak about Muslims and space again. President Obama recently asked NASA to work with Muslim scientists to honor their contributions throughout history with astronomy. Many of the early historical contributions to astronomy were mathematically based and have contributed to calculations that have furthered the understanding of our solar system. Mathematicians like Muhammad Ibn Musa Al-Khwarizmi who changed the course of Islamic astronomy by writing a book in 820 called the “Astronomical Tables of Sind and Hind.” The work contains tables for the movements of the sun, the moon and the five planets known at the time. Abd Al-Rahman Al-Sufi, who discovered the Large Magellanic Cloud and the Andromeda Galaxy, which were the first galaxies to be observed other than the Milky Way. There are many other contributions to math and science that were easily translated to Astronomy, which now is converted to technological contributions to space.

Article Source

This is an interesting article to say the least.
What are your thoughts on this breakthrough for Muslims and the Islamic world?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeraVerto
Abd Al-Rahman Al-Sufi, who discovered the Large Magellanic Cloud and the Andromeda Galaxy, which were the first galaxies to be observed other than the Milky Way.

Rather overstating it a bit.
These are objects in the sky visible to anyone on a clear dark night. To say that one particular specific person "discovered" them is... well, I'm just going to call it a lie.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Reply to post by alfa1

Obvious Zionist Israeli Mossad racist^^

/sarcasm

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I call Obamabot pro-muslim propaganda. Maybe if they shed their 12th century theology, they actually could contribute to modern science.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well, Muslim world was leader of scientific advance for several centuries. It built on Greek/Roman/Persian knowledge and added its own layers.
Al jabr - algebra. Al kimia - Chemistry. And all the other Al-ctr... Zero (sifr) in my nickname was developed as a concept by Muslim mathematicians.
Then the fanatics took other and the lights went out.
So potential, brains, creativity is still there. Sure. Sadly, fanatics are still there too.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I disagree with nothing you just said. I believe that if they threw off the shackles of islam, they could contribute to modern science in many ways. Sadly, I do not believe it will happen.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Nice!
The middle-eastern cultures have always been very sharp in their scientific aproach, and as someone said earlier, they have a LOT of potential as a society, if only the "free" world would stop bombing them back to the stone age...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
"That's One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

"The first day or so we all pointed to our countries. The third or fourth day we were pointing to our continents. By the fifth day, we were aware of only one Earth." --Sultan bin Salman Al-Saud, astronaut

Maybe someday the "Islamic World" will join up with the rest of the world. We are waiting patiently. I would cringe at the thought of the contributions to Science as being from the "Atheist World". Instead let us consider Science to come from human beings belonging to the planet Earth.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by idonotcollectstamps
I would cringe at the thought of the contributions to Science as being from the "Atheist World". Instead let us consider Science to come from human beings belonging to the planet Earth.

You know what's really funny? Imagining how religionists would react if an atheist said they were not human beings and did not belong on planet Earth. Hah, wouldn't that be something?

top topics

join