It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Fracking Spill: Natural Gas Well Blowout Spills Thousands Of Gallons Of Drilling Fluid

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

Originally posted by SirMike
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Were these contaminants present before drilling activities began?

Read the article. No, they aren't, not at critical levels anyway. The chemicals most Energy companies use, contain these elements. Granted some are present in the soil, but at minute levels. Their fluids increase those levels dramatically.
edit on 4/22/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

The question was rhetorical. A well in Bainbridge Township Ohio suffered damage to the wellhead casing, probably the worst case event. Nearby water wells were contaminated with gas. The Ohio DEP studied the incident. This was only study performed, to the best of my knowledge, that utilized predrilling baseline water samples.

Ohio DEP study

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Seagle

Wasting your time on this one my friend. If you check out the 25 Rules of Disinformation, he/she nails quite a few of them.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
reply to post by Seagle

So you have some source that states fracking additives make up more than 1% of a typical drilling operation? I’d be curious to see that.

Unable to copy and paste from a PDF on my iPhone, but a thorough perusal of the document on this page (link to a page containing a 2MB .pdf) will yield that they begin with .25 pounds per gallon (ppg) of proppants at the beginning of the process and work up to 2-3 ppg.

Now, water by itself weighs about 8.8 pounds depending on dissolved solids and a few other factors but no by enough to make much of a difference to these calculations.

.25 pounds is 2.8094% of 8.8 pounds
2 pounds is 22.72% of 8.8 pounds
3 pounds is 34.09% of 8.8 pounds

I know thatitye proppants aren't the ingredients most people are concerned over but you're clearly either woefully uninformed or purposely misdirecting.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
At least 6,900 gallons of a "grey gooey substance" were spilled in two instances on the same day in 2009. Some of it spilled into Stevens Creek and resulted in a fish kill. The effects on human beings sound rather unpleasant, too. Fracking is doing a bang up job at poisoning our waters.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I would love to know what sort of fines they have to pay for their repeated spills.

edit on 22-4-2011 by NiteNGale because: sp

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NiteNGale

Former gas company executive Sheffield Nelson is calling on the Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission to halt all hydraulic fracturing of wells near lakes, rivers and streams after the blowout of a Chesapeake Energy well in Pennsylvania.

www.kuar.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

So it spreads. Wonder if any lessons will be learned over this.....most likely not.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

reply to post by Seagle
Wasting your time on this one my friend. If you check out the 25 Rules of Disinformation, he/she nails quite a few of them.

agreed

edit on 23-4-2011 by Seagle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join