It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Fracking Spill: Natural Gas Well Blowout Spills Thousands Of Gallons Of Drilling Fluid

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
reply to post by SirMike

So, when are you moving next door to where this fracking is going on and opening up a mineral water company? It sounds relatively harmless to me. What could go wrong?

Second.

When are you going to quit eating food grown with synthetic nitrogen fertilizer, taking hot showers, cooking you food, using plastics, or using electricity.

Stupid comparisons cut both ways don’t they?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

It tough to search for a topic with an obscure name. That's why I always use the news title, this thread is necessary as it has a proper title. IMO anyways. Thanks for the link though.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The water came out of the well for 1/2 a day. Bang up job there. These morons in Harrisburg just could care less about keeping PA safe and clean. Just as long as the get the money. Shame on them.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
Topic already exists HERE complete with the breaking news of the blowout.
No need for duplicate threads. Search is your friend.

edit on 4/21/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

That must be a different blow out, that thread was started "posted on 23-3-2011" and the article linked in this OP is dated April 20. And said that it just happened Tuesday.

Frakking has been around long enough, that they should be better at avoiding problems.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
Topic already exists HERE complete with the breaking news of the blowout.
No need for duplicate threads. Search is your friend.

edit on 4/21/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

That must be a different blow out, that thread was started "posted on 23-3-2011" and the article linked in this OP is dated April 20. And said that it just happened Tuesday.

Frakking has been around long enough, that they should be better at avoiding problems.

Jesus I didn't even read the original link, thanks for actually paying attention.

I just saw the title and thought this isn't even close to the same thing.

Thanks buddy

Pred...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Fracking is an enormous ecological disaster. Terrifying to me because it can and does compromise our most precious resource... water. Just because there are other technologies that cause great harm doesn't lessen the damage caused by this.

To those of you that are sure fracking isn't that bad, you should watch the documentary Gasland. This method of securing natural gas has destroyed the drinking water of many families in this country - permanently.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Even the folks from Battlestar Galactica knew how bad this is:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

If people only realized and knew the truth about fracking and the effects and disruption of people's lives that is has caused they would support all anti fracking groups world wide. The problem is they believe what they have been told by the gas/oil companies that everything is going to be OK and it's not doing any harm. The companies are lying out their rears and are aware of the dangers but too money hungry and the governments are the same way. I'll be glad to sell any of you that support it my home here in Arkansas and let you live here in the nightmare that is has created here. Come and meet the people whose lives and property have been destroyed and then you will learn the truth first hand of the damage it does cause.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Pennsylvania is done as a state where you'd raise your family, or anything. Good job, pols.

Nowhere with shale is safe to live. They are mining recklessly on purpose, to create shortages in the immediate future, while simultaneously destroying water sources. I guess the political process looks somewhat like this: The representatives and senators, on paper, at least, only depend on concentrated areas of population for their votes. Therefore, with the promise of 'cheap' gas, and jobs, they wreck the whole place, concentrating on rural areas so you can't fight back (no big numbers of endangered people there).

But the pols are in bed with the frackers, as if you didn't know. Kick 'em out.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by starless and bible black

Exactly my reasoning for moving to southwest Virginia in 3 weeks. At least there, no raping of the land or nature like up here. PA is no longer the great Penns Woods it used to be.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

So Flamable water isnt a contamination in drinking water????

Fracking is bad, and we need to cease fire all together on it...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I really hate fracking, I mean who thought it was a good idea to crack the ground under our feet. That solution gets into water tables and poisons people.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

I apparently didn't want that to come out the way it did, because it isn't good to have anything in your water but, as it stands there are tons of crap in water now and NOBODY says a word about it other than on here. But if a gas company (who is providing energy for our country) spills something everyone wants to go crazy. Again I probably didn't want that to sound the way it did, but I love having Natural gas companies and drilling companies around because I spent last weekend without power because of the horrible storm that went through PA, and I would rather have filtered water or purified water rather than not having gas companies. So if they make a mistake like that, I forgive them, we are all human and all make mistakes.

I would rather be using plenum energy - clean, pure and natural - than all these petro-fuels. And, as many will attest, I fight to make this right.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
Facking fluid is 99 percent water and sand ... even if 10,000 gallons spilled only 100 gallons of that is additive and out of that 100% gallons about 90% of that is soap.

That is a straight up LIE!!

To make a statement like that either you do not have a clue what you are talking about or you are a part of the industries damage control. Either way, you are telling lies.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Want to know what Frack water usually consists of? Not counting whatever additives are added by each Energy company, here is just a few, according to FrackAction.Com

In response to numerous complaints of contamination and illness, the EPA has discovered a range of contaminants in drinking water in the vicinity of fracking sites, including arsenic, copper, vanadium and methane gas, just to name a few.

Yet, the EPA is largely powerless to do anything about pollution caused by fracking. A provision of the 2005 energy bill, inserted at the behest of then Vice President Dick Cheney, stripped the EPA of authority to regulate the process.

Full Article Here

@ SirMike, you are way off on your statement about "just water and soap".
edit on 4/22/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
reply to post by SirMike

So Flamable water isnt a contamination in drinking water????

Not neccesarily from hydraulic fracturing.

Oregonian's Faucet Spouts Fire-Water, The Oregonian 1951

I know that some of the flaming faucets in gasland have conclusively been proven to be from drilling activities but some of the cases presented in gasland have be proven not to be drilling related.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Seagle

So you have some source that states fracking additives make up more than 1% of a typical drilling operation? I’d be curious to see that.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Were these contaminants present before drilling activities began?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Were these contaminants present before drilling activities began?

Read the article. No, they aren't, not at critical levels anyway. The chemicals most Energy companies use, contain these elements. Granted some are present in the soil, but at minute levels. Their fluids increase those levels dramatically.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

reply to post by Seagle

So you have some source that states fracking additives make up more than 1% of a typical drilling operation? I’d be curious to see that.

Research.
Its your friend.
Spend one hour searching YouTube and various sites, you'll find many sources showing what fracking has done to tap water as far as methane levels.

In fact, several local NY and PA News agencies have done extensive reports on the methane in tap water issue. For at least a year now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join