It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25,000$ fine and 5 years imprisonment for tweeting...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Canadian Election Results before the polls close.

Canadian Twitter users are vowing to push back against Elections Canada's ban on tweeting results before the polls close on May 2.

The country's electoral agency issued a warning to social media users this week, reminding them that Section 329 of the Elections Act applies to transmissions made over the internet.

Penalties for violating the act could include a fine of up to $25,000 or up to five years in prison.

Despite the agency's claim that it would be monitoring social media, many say they'll flout what they say is an outdated law.

"I wonder how many people we could get to take part in a 'tweet-in' protest against the election-night Twitter ban," tweeted Ottawa's Peter Raaymakers.

"I'm in," Montreal's Jason Mayoff tweeted.

"We should all tweet on May 2," tweeted Denis Gagnon of Timmons, Ont. "Either we flood the system and [Elections Canada] gets overwhelmed, or we all get fined and end up paying for #elxn41."

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Telling us Canadians NOT to do something, especially Internet related, is just a loud taunt... lol.
Remembers over 75% of ALL Canadians, young or old, have internet access.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
All i can say is wow...I had no idea Canada even had prisons when did this happen

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It wont be long now before the new god government all over the world just announce we are all criminals at birth.

The new original sin for the new religion under the new god.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
All i can say is wow...I had no idea Canada even had prisons when did this happen

We decided to make some to house the ever growing American Prison Population...
Figured we'd make a few bucks.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
They are probably afraid that if it gets real big, then they would have trouble fixing the elections, Twitter polls would not turn up the same as what they say the general election count was.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm unclear about what exactly it means.

It seems to mean that you can't post the results from a particular polling station until all the polls have been closed. Not that you couldn't tweet about who you voted for.

I really don't see the big deal about asking people to not release results until things are "official". It could be some vast conspiracy to keep people from being confused about inaccurately reported results. Or it could be even more nefarious than that.

It seems like anytime people are told they can't do something, the 4 year old mindset sinks in and it becomes "we'll show them what happens when they say we can't do something".

But I'm not Canadian and I don't entirely understand this rule, or the fuss.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog

Since Stephan Harper got elected... Oh and we are getting more too...

I'm sure they will be able to find more people to put in there once they are built...
edit on 21-4-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xyankee
They are probably afraid that if it gets real big, then they would have trouble fixing the elections, Twitter polls would not turn up the same as what they say the general election count was.
My prediction is a thin Harper majority that is won with slight of hand....
edit on 21-4-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Or you could respect the law. The way I see it, the law is in place to votes are not swayed by the way the voting is going.

top topics

join