It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil is the tectonic plates lubricant hence why we are having worse and worse earthquakes.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I was thinking about it a week or so ago and ive been doing some experiments with the Spin Clamps you find in Metalworking plants i placed some Oil on two rocks in a clamp and then applied force in oposite dircetions on oposite sides of the rocks, They Slid apart Slowly but easily without much grinding or Chips of stone falling off. I repeated the experement without Oil and i got alot of chips and one of the rocks event cracked down from where they were touching to the Side of the Clamp. This is showing me that Oil is helping the tectonic plates move around. Anyone elses thoughts?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have never really thought of that, but it sounds like a plausible theory. I personally don't buy into the idea that we are running out of oil though, and I wonder how little is too little in the grand scheme of plates shifting.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Solsthime331

An interesting theory, but Eartquakes were happening prior to Oil being drilled.

Earthquakes are proof that the world is continuing to develop and continental shift is part of this process.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

yes that is true, But alot of the bigger quakes happen in areas that oil companys dont drill due to Little to No acessable oil in the area, and as Aimlessly said, We dont know how little is too little on the scale of contenent sized rocks moving around grinding against eachother.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't believe that we are running out of oil either. In fact if you do some internet searching, you will find some information on how some of the sites are actually refilling with oil and they don't know why.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Oil's job on a mechanical system is to prevent wear and helps reduce friction between two moving parts.
It can also be used to cool parts.

mechanics perspective. good principle though!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Except that oil is created by decaying matter, matter that is still on/in the earth.

Oil seeps/spews/leaks naturally from the earth. So it is then like a leaking car? Must we refill it?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
How about the oil is used to balance the pressure of the movements of the rock, like if there is a lot of down force that oil will allow the land mass to move but not fall apart, as if there was on oil being there the land mass would move more jerky and then you would have a bigger earth quake.

Just to add to that.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I have always thought that. That oil is like blood to the human body. It lubircates the plates allowing for a "smoother" shift.

As humanity has been slowly taking it out, more and more as the Industrial Complex grows, the planet "aches" as the human body would if blood were to be taken out little by little.

We have been lied to about with "oil" really is. Dead Dinosaurs and plants? Don't think so.

As oil is being "drained" from the planets body, more earthquakes, more weather changes etc...it's ALL connected.

The planet is ALIVE and we are draining HER of her blood!

What happens when the human body if fully drained of it's blood?

As above, so below.

Big Jedi

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

i dont know how to explain it other than its like a person on a skate board with Flipflops, No water Easy Grip if you pull on the grip its going to tear up your shoes and feet if you were to have water on your board or even oil it would be easier to fall off than if your shoes were dry. *wet floor effect*

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigJedi
I have always thought that. That oil is like blood to the human body. It lubircates the plates allowing for a "smoother" shift.

As humanity has been slowly taking it out, more and more as the Industrial Complex grows, the planet "aches" as the human body would if blood were to be taken out little by little.

We have been lied to about with "oil" really is. Dead Dinosaurs and plants? Don't think so.

As oil is being "drained" from the planets body, more earthquakes, more weather changes etc...it's ALL connected.

The planet is ALIVE and we are draining HER of her blood!

What happens when the human body if fully drained of it's blood?

As above, so below.

Big Jedi

Thank you! you explained it better than i would have thought to.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
If oil (or lack thereof) were the culprit of the earthquakes, the Middle East would have been rocking for the past 30 years, but it's pretty quiet over there...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Losferwords

i thought about that also, the middle east has a very large plate that hasnt semed to move alot since pangea was broken this could be the explanation (Eg a VERY dry cooke being touched the middle isnt going to break apart right away itll cruble around the edges first)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Now that is the most stupid idea I've ever heard... well maybe not but it comes in my top 10. Like... really ? You know that oil is sedimented in deep layers and that like... ITS NOT ANYWHERE ON FAULT ZONES ?

even if it were, do you know how huge tectonic plates are ? You would need billions times more to cover each tectonic fault zones and it would do nothing. I dont believe I even have to explain that to somebody, please tell me you are just trolling and you do not mean this for real, please ..

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Solsthime331

Good theory. However does not hold practical grounds. I read other posts and they're all logically correct except there is no proof. Besides we do not know for sure that there is a singular layer covering the entire earth between the land and the inner portion of the earth so as to use the fluid as a lubricant and a damper that keeps the plates from moving around too harshly.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Ya the lack of earth quakes in the middle east and the lack of oil site around plate edges kinda throws this theory out of contention. I will not be as harsh as some of the posters, yes I think the idea is clever, but not really much evidence to support this.

The oil refilling makes sense...it filled up before...why not fill up again...if oil is from dinosaur bones and trees I am a monkeys uncle....hmmmm wait rh+ blood....maybe alot of us are monkeys uncles....oh oh

Sorry to toss around subjects...just making light of my disagreement with your theory...

Additionally...the earth is quite smart....putting oil deposits within close proximity to magma spewing faults might spell an explosion...yes no?
edit on 21-4-2011 by Drala because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I wish I would have furthered my education. I would have made it further. I've had this theory since I was a little kid.

Not because of the earthquakes but as a general I idea.

Also wish I had pursued more education just to get into politics even though I hate them. Probably an advantageif you really want to change things.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Tnewguy

Unless you are like 100 years old and on your death bed....go address this emotional loophole. If that truley bothers you, you should address the issue, otherwise you will continue to regret. If you are approaching the long sleep, I appologize for trying to wake you...perhaps you'll get it in the next life

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The Planets "oil" does not have to be on a fault line. To "move/shift/slide" big plates the oil has it's best results from being "spread" around in a thin layer, UNDER neath the HUGE plates not just on the edges or on the fault crack lines.

Like "moving big blocks" you lubricate the floor to "slide" the Blocks in a direction. Like in one of the theories of how the Egyptians moved those huge blocks to build the pyriamids. It doesn't take much oil to move the PLATES if it's in the right spots.

So nobody really knows, so saying any theory is "Stupid" is just stupid. That's why we are here, to talk it out.

The natural "oil" IS apart of the planets "body" or why would it be there in the first place? It's not there for "humanities" need to use if for engines. It surves as profound function, and there is a REAL reason for it. I think the "blood" analogy is pretty close.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BigJedi

Next thing you know, sun revolves around Earth...

Do you have even slightest idea about tectonic plates ? Education from elementary school would be sufficient.
I almost stopped reading when you mentioned that oil is there because mother nature needs it in some sort.

Oil is there as natural process of sedimentation and decay of organic material. Its just older version of coal. And to say that you can take crude oil, and somehow it has some meaning between tectonic plates is so laughable that I dont understand that I have to explain, that it is complete bs. Crude oil doesnt even have that kind of viscosity that your kitchen oil has. And how the fck would you want to have constant amount of oil in all fault zones ? You know... they move underneath each other and so on.

Especially that note that "nobody knows" just happens that we know that crude oil has nothing to do with moving of tectonic plates. You would have to be 11 years old or stupid, again, stupid to believe that something like that is possible.

Use google and read some elementary geography, than think about it, repeat the process until you have no more ideas like that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join