It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No TSUNAMI warning after latest 6.3mag. quake...Can anyone tell me why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no tsunami warning.An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 hit eastern Japan on Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

Japan's Meteorological Agency said no tsunami warning was issued. The epicentre of the earthquake, which shook buildings in Tokyo, was at Chiba prefecture, near the coast east of the capital, the agency added.

Can someone please explain to me why ther has been tsunami warnings but no more tsumanis since the big one? Or why there havent been warnings contributed at all to all the other quakes since? There was a 6 yesterday and now today a 6.3 and not even a warnig? I consider these to be pretty big myself but are they big enough to cause a tsunami or does it take a monster? Or even a a week or so ago when there were two 7.3s a minute a part and no tsunami! Was the one from the 9.3 just a fluke or dos a couple points in size make that much more of a difference between being strong enough to create a tsunami and not? Or was there something else that contributed to that horrible day of march 11 that helped fuel the tsunami that hit?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
without seeing where the epicenter was, is guess it was inland. tsunamis are usually cause with an epicenter located out in the ocean.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Firstly, yes, 2 points on the richter scale makes one hell of a difference. Thousands of times more powerful (or something, someone else will clear up the mess) And secondly, there was a tsunami warning for the 7.1s the other week.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

If Japan got hit by another tsunami already, it would give away the master plan and reveal the secrets.

link   
reply to post by MJZoo

why have none of the aftershocks caused a tsunami? wasnt there an 8. aftershock ad it didnt cause a tsunami...i just dont know out of all that have occured only the big one created enough of a disturbance to cause a tsunami...

link   
It's probably based on the actual location and depth of the quake.

Either that,or they want to surprise us.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

the difference between magnitude points is like a x10 or something, so a 9.0 is ridiculously more powerful than a 6.0
wikipedia link for richter scale

You might wanna consider checking that out
edit on 21-4-2011 by SpreadLoveNotHate because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

It has to do with the depth of the epicenter and how it affects the surface of the ground above it.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Cause it happened inland.

/thread

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

...a 9.0 on the Richter scale releases 1000 times more energy than a 7.0.

Let's also not forget the HUGE difference in magnitude between the numbers.

Not to mention the location of the quake.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

i am not just asking about the latest 6.3 but any of them...its confusing to me that there have been some aftershocks shallow enough and on the stronger side that occured under the sea floor and still no tsunami...like the one from 3/11 was somehow intentional in a way...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Only certain type of earthquakes generate Tsunamis....

Tsunamis can be generated when the sea floor abruptly deforms and vertically displaces the overlying water. Tectonic earthquakes are a particular kind of earthquake that are associated with the earth's crustal deformation; when these earthquakes occur beneath the sea, the water above the deformed area is displaced from its equilibrium position. Waves are formed as the displaced water mass, which acts under the influence of gravity, attempts to regain its equilibrium. When large areas of the sea floor elevate or subside, a tsunami can be created.
Large vertical movements of the earth's crust can occur at plate boundaries. Plates interact along these boundaries called faults. Around the margins of the Pacific Ocean, for example, denser oceanic plates slip under continental plates in a process known as subduction. Subduction earthquakes are particularly effective in generating tsunamis.

...and I believe the one your reffering to happened on land

edit on 21-4-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Good questions. Most waves come from off shore eathquakes. Some are caused from land mostly land slides and volcanos. The location, size, and depth matter. The more shallow, the higher the number and off shore= big wave. Anything over a 6 can cause a Big wave. Bigger the earthquke the bigger the wave. Locally waves can be bigger inlets and ports can differ depending on the shape. Waves can rap around and hit the whole island. yesterdays earthquake was a 6 and shallow. Im not sure if it was off shore but if it was it probly should have had a warning. The reason no warnings. No panic, disinfo, government kill off. As sad as it is the more die the happyer the government. Even though every life no matter what is worth everything.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm no expert in the area of earthquakes, but it is my understanding that in order for a Tsunami to be created, there has to be a sudden "snap" of the seafloor that displaces the water. Normal ground shaking won't create a Tsunami.

top topics

join