It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**6.3-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Tokyo -Breaking News

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
An aftershock does not equate to a new earthquake and also this is not breaking news.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
The reason this is bad and will continue to be bad is this....

everytime they get close to containing the reactors and sealing them up, they have another earthquake which just opens it back up and the radiation continues to spew out...

Kind of like when you had a sore as a kid...your mom would say " Quit scratchigt that, it will never heal."

Likewise, if the damage is reopened or never contained or never repaired...the radiation continues to spew...all over the world.

Some forms of radiation will break down and dispense...ok. BUT, radiation of certain types will continue to gradually accummulate over time...and there in is the problem.

One x-ray is no problem...but get one everyday..maybe start twice a day...everyday, after a while...you got problems.

A 6.3 earthquake after what they have had...no problem, get them every other week while trying to repair a leaking highly radioactive meltdown in multiple locations...Problem.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by cabinda

Just to maintain the topic for a second.

Of course I understand the concern for Japan, and I am well aware of the potential dangers of earthquakes of these magnitudes. They do after all shake the whole world even if only 'slowly'.

I am also concerned for the mental well being of some people on ATS and of course else where, who get freaked out by the doom and gloom terminology. Maybe I maintain too level a head and will still be standing to attention on the deck when the ship goes down, I don't know, but I am certainly not one for scaremongering and recently there seems to have been so much on ATS.

I totally agree, it alarms me the ".. the end is nigh..." posts....its almost a game of 101 ways to generate fear...

If the planet does stop spinning tomorrow I would rather know I had spent my life enjoying it...Who would want to be here if the whole thing did go poof !!... ( I do not think its going to..... not in my lifetime.....) I worry that people are forgetting how to live in the real world... with nature, wonderful plants, geological landscapes, animals... loving families..... that is whats important.....

We live on a wonderous planet that despite all the odds has sustained us all, we have to accept it has the awesome power to destroy in a couple of seconds all that we hold dear, but, and its a big but..... we are all lucky enough to be here right now, we shouldn't waste it burried in our computers fretting and fighting with strangers over who said what and who thinks what....

Earthquakes happen, we exist on a tectonically active floating mantle. What we do need to learn is how to work together with our planet not against it...The technology IS there to allow us to live in balance with this planet, its just time for a little less greed and a little more humanity to achieve it....

edit on 22-4-2011 by cabinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

It was metaphor,analogy, figure of speech. The statement still stands. It was used correctly.

Go back to grumpyville.

You must remember the big one that hit on march 11th moved the island 6-8 metres. Satellite imagery Proves this. So it would be safe to metaphorically say Japan is crumbling into the ocean. A 6.1 is no walk in the park. Are you earth quake proof?

Ignorance denied...+1

PS...I love when ignorant people use the "deny ignorance" line.
edit on 22-4-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: "deny ignorance"

edit on 22-4-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

No it did not, it moved it 6 to 8 feet, and it was the coast not the whole island of Japan.

Get your facts right like we do here in Grumpyville.

www.physorg.com...

Ignorance denied...+1

No, now ignorance is denied.
edit on 23/4/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

No it did not, it moved it 6 to 8 feet, and it was the coast not the whole island of Japan.

Get your facts right like we do here in Grumpyville.

www.physorg.com...

Ignorance denied...+1

No, now ignorance is denied.
edit on 23/4/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Hey Puter, thanks for correcting me on the correct metrics of the movement of the island. You got me bro. This seems to be turning into a back and forth, tit for tat game that is negative to the flow of the thread. That is not my intention.

Regardless of my incorrect quote of the amount of movement due to the quake,which was a simple mistake, does not change the fact you are downplaying this. You seem to be taking this personal. Especially when I corrected you about my metaphor clearly being correct.

You have personally attacked a few members on this thread over minor details, and for the most part the members you attacked were correct in their statements.

To remain on topic, these earthquakes do seem abnormal to most members, experts and amateurs. I have seen some of your other posts and threads and you certainly know your stuff, but it seems you are taking this personal and playing the Devils Advocate just for the sake of arguing. You cannot deny that this is a grave situation, and for you to consistently attack members who are having a civil discussion about their logical opinions truly shows your true ignorance. I have been in earthquakes that were under 5 magnitude and I was quite a ways from the epicentre which was very deep as well. These earthquakes were scary as heck. My house was shaking, walls cracked, books fell off shelves. To imply that a 6.1 earthquake is not that big of a deal is simply wrong, and in my opinion reinforces my previous statement that you are here only for the sake of arguing.

I am sorry man, but you know it is true.

I mean no quarrel, but you deserve a class in civility.

That high horse you rode in on must be getting tired by now. Try giving it a rest.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Don't mind that Puterman guy, he is always right...

I personally think this is just the beginning, but I am just a laymen. I would not want to be any where near the pacific rim at this point and time. Just a thought of mine, not trying to doom and gloom anyone.

To the OP dont ever let anyone tell you that a 6.1 quake is nothing worth posting about. Especially in Japan in the current situation they are in.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Happy B-Day Puterman,

That said back to topic.

What folks don't understand about IRIS etc, is that most of the after shocks are under 4.0. Which is to say USGS and most institutes outside of Japan will not record them much less try to monitor for them. Largely due to detection range.

The people that live in the region are getting after-shocks every few minutes.... not just the 4.0+'s that are reported globally. If you think that's not significant to the people living there, you are sadly mistaken. A 6.+ no matter how deep has to be a disturbing thing for them, in that it means things are not going to settle down -any-time-soon-.

Cases of PTSD induced from the events are rising, which is to say all the other mental issues they already had, if they had them, are now compounded.

PTSD, no matter what caused it, effects everyone in association with the person that has it. Depression, anger anxiety and a slew of other effects are associated with PTSD. If you don't think it effects other people by association, just ask a Veteran's close family or friends, they'll tell you its the case. Hell even doctors will tell you its the case.

So yeah, every huge quake over there has an impact on the people living there.

EVEN IF IT DOES NO PROPERTY DAMAGE.

So to all you people who don't think it's worth noting, go live there, in that situation for a while.

It matters.

M.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I am sorry man, but you know it is true.

I mean no quarrel, but you deserve a class in civility.

That high horse you rode in on must be getting tired by now. Try giving it a rest.

Being an old horse it can go on for a very long time. It does not suffer from the boredom of youth!

You know that I know that a mag 5, and even less can be not only a problem but sometimes fatal in the wrong circumstances.

TA has a thread running on this and it is not in my opinion necessary to duplicate threads in this manner. Each earthquake needs to be looked at in it's own circumstances. This particular one was not of great significance. Had it been on the triple junction it might have been. We had a 6.0 today (the one being discussed here was a 6.1) Why is the 6.0 of any less significance than the 6.1. Why is there no thread about that one? Because it was not somewhere near Tokyo?

As a matter of interest, and this is a genuine question, how much damage was sustained purely from the 9.0 earthquake. There was a huge amount of damage from the tsunami, but other than the damage to the power stations nothing much seems to have been said about structural damage.

They do build to withstand earthquakes, may be not 9.0 ones, but certainly up to 7.5. For this reason, unless there is a tsunami risk or there is some other circumstance of location, then a quake at that place and depth was not significant.

This all started because you said Japan was crumbling into the seas and then tried to pass that off as a metaphor.

As a metaphor it was not a good one, and any comment like that can lead the more sensitive readers to get worried when they need not.

I guess we wrong footed each other on this one, and I will take a good portion of the blame for that. I was being and feeling grumpy.

So, on that note whilst I still think your metaphor was bad I apologise that it has led to us fighting it out on the thread.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Thank you Moshpet.

PTSD?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cabinda

Heya... its ok... puterman seems to have his sensitive underpants on... he tried to bollock me earlier for me passing my opinion on a buffoon commenting on it only being a magnitude 6 earthquake........how dare I chastise someone for making light of the magnitude... after all people in Tokyo are not concerned that every medium sized earthquake could trigger a massive quake... its all a normal day at the office for them....they are not bothered...

Mind you ...nobody of his standing could possibly admit we imbiciles seem to be spot on with our conclusions .... after all... we have totally made a mountain out of a molehill over the radioactivity released... , the increased tectonic activity being totally above the normal activity parameters, there has not been any nuclear emergency over there has there, no increased risk to the area due to the frequency of the quakes destabilising the infrastructure over there .....no threat to life... everything is just peachy....

Greetings:

And, here we thought it was something we said.

Take a gander at what Mr. Puterman regurgitated in our thread:

America's Being Nuked - Can We Together Stop the Madness Before It's Too Late?

We hit the ball back over the net hard - and he has yet to reply. He stumbled pretty badly - probably tripped over a radioactive sheep there in the U.K.

It did seem that he was off his feed (or meds) in the last couple of days ... definitely not like him.

we have totally made a mountain out of a molehill over the radioactivity released...

Please post on the American Nuked thread after reading what we have posted so far there. We think you'll fit right in.

Not to bash Puterman, but his statement:

This is no worse than Chernobyl.

... implies that he is ignorant of the facts and that because he thinks he is "safe" in the U.K., he can throw stones at our attempts to keep abreast of pertinent information that may be actually life-saving here in the homeland.

There will be no news blackout of the radioactivity in America on our watch.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

Heya.....

Its OK ..... I get Puterman ... and his sensitive underpants..!!!

I thing is...on here we really need to take a breather and realise we are all here for the same reasons, perhaps we seem to lock horns and other times we take other members to task about their opinions....The thing is... without every single opinion this place would fall apart...

So please Puterman et all.... please keep up the good work. you keep us on our toes ..

peace ....

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Let's not forget about the dead fish in California.... again... just before quake activity in Japan....

So my question is what are the odds of it happening TWICE?

~Namaste
edit on 21-4-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

EDIT: Has anyone considered that this could be a foreshock just like what happened with with the little 6.7 and 7 mags Japan had just days before the 9?

True American demonstrated that the tension within the adjoining plates was increasing based on quakes where they meet, which is right near Tokyo. He went out on a limb by suggesting that there would be another big quake, but backed it up with a lot of information. The Tokyo quake is likely a sign of what may be coming.
edit on 21-4-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

I say it has something to do with the approaching Nibiru System and/or ELENIN

I would highly recommend all those living in California consider leaving or at the very least begin to prepare for MAJOR Seismic events beginning between September thru November this year.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by gougitousakusha

edo/tokyo has been leveled about every 50 years from flood/fire/earth quake/tsunami, really they had to know it was coming and prepare.

You are right, they knew it was coming, and they tried preparing with structural enhancements to soften the dmage. There is no preparation for what seems to be happening over there though. Only proper preparation would be to get the heck outta dodge. Kind of like people living in Tornado Alley, or on the San Andreas. Not much you can do but leave, or remain there and hope for the best.

And its appears that Los Angeles is the Tornado Alley of EARTHQUAKES... anyone remaining there after August is in for a bumpy ride to say the least.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join