It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5yo British boy reaches 4ft 2inches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
News Article

Jack is believed to have the most extreme symptoms of anyone in the world. Now his family are raising £2,000 so he and his mother can fly to Denver Colorado in July to be examined by Dr Bruce Beckwith, the man who first identified the disorder. The youngster from Swinton, in South Yorkshire, was born six weeks premature yet weighed in at 7lbs 3oz. He spent most of first 12 months of his life in the intensive care unit at Sheffield Children's Hospital. Jack has already undergone 15 operations including three on his tongue to make it shorter, and has also had a tracheotomy and a gastronomy to enable him to eat and breath properly.

Increasing background radiation causes thyroid disorders leading to the revival of the giant race that will eat us all because there is not enough food for them, building giant structures and having a good time until we regroup and wipe them out so we can once again evolve into a self destroying race

Personally wish the kid could grow healthy despite becoming the world's tallest man or something..

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Yes, height can be a real health hazard, straining the heart, causing back problems, and more. I have to worry about my own son's health, who is 3 years old and is 41 inches tall (8 inches taller than the average). I hope the kid in the article grows up healthy as well.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

You know the average height of a 2 year old? I keep trying to find it on the internet and I just get graphs that make my . hurt
. My son is 3ft tall. His doc says he is tall for his age but won't tell me the normal height >.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
My son is 5 and in the 95% for height. My daughter is 3 and in the 75% for height.

Both myself and his father are of average size. I spoke with their doctor about this and they are perfectly fine.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by littlesheep2011

Increasing background radiation causes thyroid disorders leading to the revival of the giant race that will eat us all because there is not enough food for them, building giant structures and having a good time until we regroup and wipe them out so we can once again evolve into a self destroying race
You should probably read up on Beckwith–Wiedemann syndrome (BWS).

Beckwith–Wiedemann syndrome (BWS) is an overgrowth disorder present at birth characterized by an increased risk of childhood cancer and certain features. Originally, Professor Wiedemann coined the term exomphalos-macroglossia-gigantism (EMG) syndrome to describe the combination of congenital exomphalos, macroglossia, and gigantism.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

The average height of a 2 year old is 31 inches. So your child is about 5 inches above average. Seems that alot of kids today are hitting that 95% mark. I think they need to readjust their "average scale". People are getting taller again.

Height/Weight Averages

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well, try find a pair of adult shoes in size 15 for a 16 year old. Most shoe shops only carry up to size 12, some shops carry size 13, no shops carry 14 and have to be specially brought in, now I have to order overseas for size 15. I have no idea what size he will be by the time he reaches 19-20 years of age.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Given his unusual height, this sounds like Marfan Syndrome to me.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by littlesheep2011

My daughter is 44 inches tall and she will be 4 years old on July 21st 2011. FYI 48 inches = 4 feet tall.
She is perfectly fine as per the Pediatrician.

I dont know where to draw the line on normal growth but I do know that every decade or so, the envelope gets pushed just ever so slightly above the normalcy.
edit on 21-4-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Given his unusual height, this sounds like Marfan Syndrome to me.
en.wikipedia.org...

Weird, cause his Doctors and his Family seem to think it is Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome:

Jack is one of only 64 people in the UK born with Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome an overgrowth disorder which means the youngster will just keep getting bigger.

edit on 21-4-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

My five year old daughter is 48" tall (above the 100%) and will be 5 for another 4 mos. and my eight year old daughter is 56" tall (95%)

all is fine here also...

new topics

top topics

join