It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SKS Modernization project.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Byteman

I'm sure you could still mount the bayonet. Don't know why you'd want one though.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by deesul69

I kinda wondered that too. If you ever run out of ammo, and have to mount bayonet, and slash it out WWI trench style you are seriously in the stew. Might be better to save that one last round "just in case"
An SKS makes one heavy, lousy handling knife. A 9" K-Bar on the belt would make a lot more sense.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
UPDATE: if anyone still checks back here.

Well it's been nearly a year, and a bit of a trail of tears. Shernic got way behind on production. They are literally a garage operation, and work at other jobs, and then come home to a mountain of work. Even thought they have made mistakes, and willingly admit to them, in the realm of finance, and production management. I really admire their work ethic, and commitment to quality. They got behind because demand absolutely outstripped their ability to produce by many, many times. They had to use pre-paid kit money to buy production equipment, and hire help to ever get done in a reasonable amount of time. Then some subsidiary funding fell through, and they have had to boot strap the process, and operate at a loss to continue. However, all ordered kits will be built, and delivered. they have many dealership, and manufacturing contract waiting in the wings, but they have to fullfill the pre-sale obligations first. I still think it would a great deal to buy one now, and wait it out for a super high quality product at a drastically reduced price. the kits are now $215. Estimated wait is over 6 months, but they are getting faster. But, as they get faster, orders come in faster.

When these kits make it to buds gun shop, or your local gun store I would imagine the price will easily double, but you will also get to go home with the stock that day. Delivery time on mine is scheduled for end of March or first part of April. I hope there is not another delay! I got to hold a finished SKS modified with this stock the other day, and it is totally freekin' awesome! A guy had it at a gun show, and vendors, and individuals were trying to buy it off of him left, and right. He wouldn't budge. It feels like a FN FS2000, or more like a Steyr AUG. Build quality is really, really top notch. There were actually people there who refused to believe it was a bone stock SKS in a modified stock. They accused the guy of being a trickster with a very expensive custom build. He got a good laugh from it. I'll update again when I get mine, and actually get to take it to the range.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Thanks for the update dude. I really appreciate it.I'm still interested And i'm gonna order one soon. By the way i just sent this thread to a guy who posted that he wanted to modify his SKS.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

BTW Thomas Jefferson is a personal hero of mine also!!!! If we could only clone him, and make him eternal ruler of the world.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

I'm with you on that one. He's one of my hero's as well. Check out my thread.

Thomas Jefferson

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

What tools do you need? You just take the metal clip out and a banana clip will fit right in.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Tools are just basic hand tools, some sand paper to make for a tight fit, and a little time. You have to get a magazine desined for the SKS, it is basically an AK47 magazine with an extended tongue to engage the front catch on the SKS. I have (2) 40rd mags for my SKS, and they work great. They are modified AK47 mags. A standard AK47 will not catch the front lip. The magazine has to have a piece added to engage the front holder on the SKS. The Shernic stock will work with either 15rd stripper clips, or high capacity magazines.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Ok. The one my dad used to have didn't require any work, the clip fit right in (it was the right kind of clip for it, you are right the catch is like an inch or so long).

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yes, you are correct. You can by the magazines already manufactured from Tapco, Magtech etc.... Or you can modify an AK 47 magazine by buying the extra little piece, and spot welding it on if you're handy. The ready made ones are much handier. The extra piece is sold because there are a LOT of AK 47 magazines out there, and some people have piles of them laying around, and want to convert some to SKS. It's cheper to buy the ready made one too. The magazines are about the same price side by side, and then you'd have to pay extra for the little piece, and then put some effort into modifying the mag.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The stock ships TODAY!!!!

I had almost forgotten about it until I got the email. I will tell everbody all about it after I get it fit, and my new optics sighted in, and have a day at the range with it.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
What is the latest order dates that are being shipped?

Last email I got said they had shipped through the end of 2010?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Is this a toy gun or a work gun. I mean are you planning on using that to reliably save your life? I'm not knocking it, I can't believe thats an SKS under there. It looks pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

They are caught up to March of 2011 right now, and claim to be about to quadrupel production rates in the next month. I hope so, mine is supposed to arrive any day. I got the shipping # finally!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRemorse762

LOL! you provide "the gun" it is just a bone stock SKS that you put their stock system on, and yes I plan to use it to protect life, and limb. It's for real.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

I was just wondering because I saw a couple FTF's on their website demo video. Though I have never heard anything about this conversion, I have heard horror stories about other conversions.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRemorse762

I think a FTF or a FTE would be the gun rather than the stock. I have seen one in person, and nothing about it would adversely effect the actions operation. The only possible glitch might be the trigger not releasing due to the linkage mechanism, but I have not heard of this happening at all. The stock is pretty much open all around the action. My guess about a feed problem, would be the magazine they were using. I saw the same video, and I think it was a mag issue, notice the stripper clips work flawlessly.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
OMG! OMG! OMG!

It's here! It's here! IT IS HERE!!!!

I nearly bowled the UPS guy over
. It took me less than an hour to put it all together. Everything fit flawlessly, no mods necessary. Like I said before I had held one previously, but not handled the individual components. This thing is serious business. Very well made. One of the absoute best sets of components I have ever bought. Quality is top notch. I put my new optics on it, and took it to the range. It took 4 or 5 rounds to dial it in at 100 yds, and then I just started tack driving.

Percieved recoil is DRASTICALLY reduced it doesn't jump up nearly as much thanks in part to ripping the ugly bayonet lug off of it, and putting a better TAPCO muzzle break on it. My shot groups are easily an inch, and a half tighter without even trying at 100 yds. You can put a whole 30 round mag in the bottom of a beer can at 100 yds in about 20 seconds now. I would go toe to toe with any AR-15 out there now.

I had no FTF or FTE issues at all. Every round fed flawlessly. It only weighs about 10 oz. less than stock, but once you have it shouldered the ballance is just so good the weight seems to dissapear. It nestles neatly in your shoulder, and almost feels weightless. Bottom line is that it reincarnates a crusty old dinosaur into a serious weapon for the 21st century, and it's just so fun to shoot I might blow a whole paycheck on ammo!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join