It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SKS Modernization project.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Hi Guys,

There is a really, really cool conversion kit for the SKS available now. It is built by Shernic Gun Works. www.sgworks.com It is about $200, and from people I have talked to that have finally got their hands on one. (They are about 6 months behind on production due to overwhelming demand.) They absolutely love them. It is a bullpup kit which puts the receiver, trigger group, and action in the butt of the stock next to your shoulder, and you have a remote trigger linkage, and grip placed forward near the forearm of the gun. If you are unfamiliar with bullpup designs go to the website, and you'll see what I mean. You get full length, full size 7.62x39 power in a 30" package. It works with defensive mags, or stripper clips. I ordered mine March 1st, and they said not to start looking for it until June at the earliest.
Oh well... good things come for those who wait. I'll post an update when i get mine, and let you know how it works. All the feedback I have read so far is extremely positive, and not just from the manufacture's site. I have a friend in Florida that got his 2 weeks ago, and he says it made his old SKS "dinosaur" as much fun to shoot as his AR-15!!
edit on 21-4-2011 by Binder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Interesting mod but I don't consider my SKS anymore a "dinosaur" than my AK. I did make one a few small mods to my SKS to make it a bit more functional. It accepts AK mags and now has a lightweight folding Zytel stock.

Anyone interested in the AK mag conversion can do it with some home machine tools. The link to the pdf plans are here.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up on this.I bought a converted SKS and I really didn't like the present conversion. I've been looking for a better conversion and really like this one.
Think I'll do the AK magizine conversion too. Thanks for the link.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

I don't really consider my old SKS a dinosaur either, I was speaking to the AR-15 purists who think Mattel, and Colt are the only people who ever designed and built a weapon. My buddy is one of those purists, and he was impressed with the conversion. The gripe with the SKS is that they are heavy, long, and have a bit of barrel climb. If you press the front sight/bayonet lug assembly off after removing the pins, and put a nice muzzle break on an SKS you get rid of a lot of that.

Mine is in a Tapco stock right now, and shaved down to bare bones. It handles nice now, but reactions I've heard with the bullpup kit is that the balance is much better. It doesn't really reduce weight much, but it puts the weight all at the rear so the weight you are suspending with your off hand on the grip or forearm is drastically reduced. Barrel climb is more controllable, and sight picture acquisition after a shot is supposed to be scary fast with the 30" overall length.

I'm still loosing sleep at night thinking about it finally arriving. I'm such a gun goob.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

No Prob. I went ahead, and splurged for the extra $30, and got the front tri-rail, and extended mag release. The videos on the website are a little hokey, but it is a mom & pop operation, and I'm sure they spent all their resources on development of the product, and not a videographer, and a marketing team. I just hope some moron doesn't hold up a 7-11 with one, and get big brother all hot, and bothered about them, and ruin it for responsible gun owners. Like what happened with the Saiga shotguns this month. Did you hear? They've been BANHAMMERED.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

The present config of my SKS makes the gun very front heavy and it is real difficult to shoot off hand. The former owner converted it to a open fiberglass stock and added a bipod to compensate for the bad balance.While the gun is normally heavy, it looks to me like the bullpup design will aleviate all the balance problems inherent in the present configuration. This will really help me out as where I shoot there isn't always something to rest the bipod on. Also shorter is easier to handle and makes target reaqusition quicker.

Think I'll do some splurging too.Shame about the saiga.I never got a chance to shoot one.

Thought I would share this site. I bought one of these in stainless .40 cal. It's a ball to shoot folds up small enough to fit into a laptop bag.
www.keltecweapons.com...
edit on 4/22/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/22/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I love my SKS. I'd put the accuracy against any AK and the knockdown power against any AR -- any day.

The absolute ubiquity of aftermarket parts and spare rifles at low cost means this will be one of the "got to have" tools after the zombie uprising.

I've seen the Sherric bullpup and it's cool, but the last time I checked the shipping was taking a year.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Yes all SKSs are front heavy. Makes em' a real pleasure to tromp through the bushes with! lol. It's just a hell for stout build. They weren't going for convenience, they were going for a weapon that would endure the end of the world. They succeeded. I heard of a guy that found one in a barn, and the action was rusted shut. He kicked it open with his boot, and the darn thing chambered a round. He took it home, and sprayed it down with WD40, and it worked fine. He still carries it. You can't kill them, and they never fail to extract or fail to feed.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

I love the SKSs too. They are the yard mules of self defense. Like a farmer with a hoe, and rake you can survive almost anything with an SKS, or an old Winchester 12 guage. They are aren't pretty, fancy, or stylish. They aren't supposed to be. Lots of gun snobs poopoo them to their detriment. If I knew I had to stake my life on the operation of a weapon I pick an SKS. Even over an AK47 or AK74. Hmm.. maybe that's why I have one for my primary zombie apocalypse gun. You can totally trick one out for well under $600 complete package. The optics are usually more than the gun.

Oh... but my AR15 was $1500 and is so much lighter, and cooler, and has very little recoil, and... wait can you go back, and come in again in about 60 seconds? Darn thing hung up again!

The lead time is down to 4 1/2 to 5 months now. They have upped their production rate.
edit on 24-4-2011 by Binder because: Can't spell

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
They don't ship to canada

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Almost makes me want an SKS, but I think I'll hol out for a little while longer to decide. But that really is a great find.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Move to Texas!
We'll learn ya how't shoot, eat hot peppers, and crap fire!

JK, I like Canadians, they go good with salsa. Kidding again I really do like Canadians.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by THEuntouchable

You won't regret getting an SKS. Minimal investment in a weapon that WILL NOT fail you EVER. Now there is finally a lot of cool stuff to update them to the 21st century.

Pros: unparalleled reliability(even over an AK), accurate, inexpensive(downright cheap really), abundantly available(gun, parts, accessories,and ammo), and... did I mention reliable?

Cons: Heavy, and has a bit of barrel climb in stock dress, but can be easily modified to mitigate this. Oh, and gun snobs will hate you for owning a "cheap" gun.

To me the pros far outweigh the cons.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

The SKS in stock form is usable by lefties. That conversion means my nose and mouth would be right next to the ejection port.

No thanks, this kit is clever but robs the ability to shoot the gun either handed.

Also, no more bayonet is a negative in my book.
edit on 2-5-2011 by Byteman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Byteman

A deflector could be easily installed over the bolt carrier opening. Ta Da! Lefty friendly. You can purchase the tri-rail accessory for the stock, and mount an accessory rail bayonet, plus a tac light, plus a laser, and still have the main accessory rail free for some nice optics. Shernic is brainstorming on a factory installed deflector for lefties, but a hand made one is easy to build, and install. It just doesn't look as cool as what Shernic will prolly come up with.

BTW, I have a buddy who is a lefty, and owns an SKS. He couldn't shoot it southpaw even in original config. because you still get casings in the face occasionally, even with a standard stock. So we put a deflector on it. No reason that same deflector won't work on the bullpup. A piece of .030 Stainless about 2" wide, and about 3.5" long shaped in a break for the right curve, and mount angle. Looks OK, not great, but not butt ugly.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Pretty sweet. I really don't like that goofy high handle/rail though. They'd be better off just having a flat rail on top of it. Might be my next purchase.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by deesul69

The stock rail is flat the riser is an add on you have to buy.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Oh, cool. Even better!!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Kel-Tec is building crazy cool weapons at an affordable price. I love them. The SUB-2000 is definitely the shiznit. My personal favorite is the PLR-16. A .223 pistol!!! mwahahahaha! I can't weight for the KSG to come out sometime in September I hear. It is a pump action dual mag. 12ga shotgun 15+1 capacity!!!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

You're right on point, but I think the KSG is 14+1. Kel-Tec makes some Badass $hiznit!! I'm looking forward to getting a RFB!!

edit on 15-5-2011 by deesul69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join