It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP sues owner of Deepwater Horizon rig for $40bn damages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

BP sues owner of Deepwater Horizon rig for $40bn damages

www.guardian.co.uk

BP is suing the owner of the Deepwater Horizon rig and the maker of the device that failed to stop last year's calamitous Gulf oil spill, alleging that negligence by both companies helped to cause the disaster.

The British company said in papers filed in a federal court in New Orleans that it was suing the rig owner, Transocean, for at least $40bn (£24bn) in damages, accusing it of causing the deadly blowout in the Gulf of Mexico that led to the worst offshore oil spill in US history.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/64a35d46c297.jpg[/atsimg]

It is hard to understand how such a disaster can occur but when you hear claims such as every safety measure failing, and the blame is passed to both The Rig owner and the Maker of the equipment a new picture does emerge.

Im sure BP will bury them in court with its vast fortune and we may never know the truth for this reason, as BP tries to clean up thier public image by passing the blame.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-4-2011 by 5StarOracle because: add pic

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
money just goes around in circles amongst all these big companies...
i wouldnt read to much into it, they will pay but sooner or later they will get that money back, through the very same industry.. same as BP..
i would be more impressed if they donated that money to an environmental charity.. but lets be honest thats not gonna happen..
as usual the only one who really loses in all this is the environment and the planet we call home..

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
If I had leased equipment to do a job and it exploded causing me to pay out billions of dollar's in clean up and compensation costs I think I would be trying to recover my losses too.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Bp is just in their actions, but, they are only doing this because the anniversary of the spill has made people realize it's been a year, and they want their compensation. People want their money, it was all over NPR yesterday. I just want to know when Haliburton is gonna get nailed to the wall.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

And so it begins.

....They're ALL at fault, imho. And the economic system, and corporate law stipulating that "profit" MUST be the first priority before all other considerations.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I've always found the whole thing suspect all these court cases add another layer to those feelings...

But at the very least I find it very eerie..

The rig that started drilling the Macondo Well before it was replaced by Deepwater Horizon was known in the UK as Tharos. Tharos was the support (fire-fighting/hospital/accomodation) rig in the Piper Alpha disaster that left 167 dead.

en.wikipedia.org...

I find it eerie the same rig has a part to play in both of these disasters..

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
A cross-suit was probably being considered from day two.

Insurance companies are the things I'm interested in now... or is the tax-payer forced to underwrite these ventures by legislation like nuclear facilities are?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
A cross-suit was probably being considered from day two.

lol - the lawyers had a meeting 2 minutes after the first report.

Insurance companies are the things I'm interested in now... or is the tax-payer forced to underwrite these ventures by legislation like nuclear facilities are?

That's the next step - they're already positioning, saying they were working to constraints established by the US government.

It's all a shell game - and the only ones who pay in the end is us.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by roomfor2

That's bs. You know darn well that it was BP's fault for not taking the time to properly survey and assess the seafloor, and then hurrying up the drill operators and replacing drilling mud with seawater despite being warned it was too dangerous and risky.
Not only that, but they cut corners by not using the best blow out preventer availabl which could have prevented the explosion.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

BP should suck it up in my opinion, they should be smart enough to check it before it gets used and test it before it gets used...they arnt a fast food buisness thay can and almost did destroy an enviroment. It just seems like more of BPs neglect from my Prospective

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I tend to agree BP is to blame because they are the Big Boss, it is thier responsibility to insure all safety measures and operating procedures adhere to thier established guidelines. Anything which varies from this without consent to these guidelines would be deemed as neglect on BP's behalf. Atleast thats how id fight it, of course I have no real information on thier contracts. I just believe there would be safeties on BP's end of the contract to protect them, which could ruin thier case.

new topics

top topics

join